Pattaya Beach Infested With Rats

webfact

Pattaya Beach suffering rat infestation problem

Thanachot Anuwan

gallery_327_1086_38057.jpg

Discarded food from tourists and dirty dishes left behind by beach chair vendors are feeding a rat-infestation problem on Pattaya Beach.

PATTAYA: -- Locals are urging Pattaya City Hall to cure its rat problem before it gets further out of hand.

Residents and tourists alike are complaining that after dark large rats are crawling out of trees and taking over the sand, dining on food thrown into tree planters and tubs of unwashed plates left behind by vendors.

They’re gnawing on beach chair mattresses and defecating everywhere, prompting fears that disease may affect daytime beach visitors.

It’s not a new problem. The rats seen after dark are large, old and have been around for a while.

Locals are urging Pattaya City Hall to cure its rat problem before it gets further out of hand.

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2010-05-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any place not infested by rats in Thailand ?

Street food = rats but as soon as they don't attack humans, what is the problem with this ?

Umm maybe all of these problems from rats

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/ratdiseases.htm

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS)

Murine Typhus

Rat-bite fever (RBF

Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium

Leptospirosis

Eosinophilic Meningitis

I am sure the rats will actually be proven to be Cambodian, since Thai rats wouldn't ever harm Thais or tourists.

No kidding, rats are everywhere in this country and I doubt it is the tourists causing the problem. Thais are notorious for throwing anything and everything on the ground thinking someone will clean up after them...and usually some poor slob getting paid to do so does.

Street food = rats but as soon as they don't attack humans, what is the problem with this ?

They do. One guy I know got a chunk bitten off his toe when he was sitting in an outdoors restaurant. URGHHHHHHH!

Poison the vermin!

Edited by csolgosz

Not much to do unless add snakes or cats in to the equation.

Thai cats rarely attack rats. They know they'll lose the fight  :)

The answer is education. At my kids school, all of the kids just throw their trash on the floor. The teachers just let them do it!  At a recent event, I watched as their parents and whole families did the same. At the end of the meeting, about 2 hours, a mountain of uneaten food and trash was left behind. Every chair was covered with sticky gunge and spilled sugary drinks. Hordes of ants appeared from nowhere and bit us to death.

I remember the days when I was at school when it was 1 hour's detention if you even threw a small piece of paper on the floor.

They do. One guy I know got a chunk bitten off his toe when he was sitting in an outdoors restaurant. URGHHHHHHH!

Poison the vermin!

Poisoning is no solution as long as there is other"food" for them.

Rats are very clever animals

No kidding, rats are everywhere in this country and I doubt it is the tourists causing the problem. Thais are notorious for throwing anything and everything on the ground thinking someone will clean up after them...and usually some poor slob getting paid to do so does.

Some poor Slob or some poor Sod ?? :)

Poison the vermin!

'vermin' is a bit strong, I just call them 'mongers' who can pretend they're not mongers because they're at a beach resort lol - they don't care about the beach at all :)

They could start by adding a few hundred trash bins and have them emptied regualarly. I am amazed at the lack of bins for people to throw their garbage into. No wonder they toss trash on the ground.

Them bloody farangs throwing their rubbish on the floor! I think I must be the only farang in Thailand who actually carries my rubbish around with me because it's so difficult to find a public bin. I usually end up bringing it home because I could physically never throw rubbish on the floor.

I remember when I was in Khoa Samed and I stumbled upon an empty 5 litre can of oil. The girl I was with at the time just said 'Farangs make our beaches dirty' Maybe true, but I don't know many farang tourists who would have any use for motor oil on a beach.

Edited by rkidlad

Having been to Koh Samet on a public holiday and seen the (mainly Bangkokian) Thais throwing all of their polystyrene and plastic food wrappings amongst the bushes and rocks on the beach, I think there is a lot of education to be done...

I saw one huge group of Thais with a heap of pre-packed food they had brought with them. The whole lot was scattered on the rocks after they left.

I am sure there are foreigners who litter as well, but I have seen little of that. Samet is supposed to be a National Park. The only thing I see the rangers doing is collecting the paltry fees on the way in. Start patrolling the beaches and fine the fkrs before it is to late!

I agree, however if a snake is seen you can be sure there is someone with a stick to beat it to death within seconds, whereas the rats are just ignored.

Sad.

They could start by adding a few hundred trash bins and have them emptied regualarly. I am amazed at the lack of bins for people to throw their garbage into. No wonder they toss trash on the ground.

Seconded. Up here, there doesn't seem to be hardly any garbage bins at all. Loads of piles of trash in front of businesses and restaurants though, sitting in open bags. I just throw any garbage I have in with that.

Not many rats up here though. Tons and tons of cockroaches though.

I live in Pattaya so I hate to say it, but it's fitting.

We already have some of the worst falangs, some of worst Thais, some of worst street dogs, so may as well have lots and lots of rats!

Pause for culture moment:

American English: slob

Function: noun Etymology: Irish slab mud, ooze, slovenly personDate: 1861

1 : a slovenly or boorish person

2 : an ordinary person <just some poor slob>

British English: sod

Function: noun Etymology: short for sodomiteDate: 1818

chiefly British : bugger <if I ever find the sod I'll kill him — John Le Carré>

Edited by toptuan

Thai cats rarely attack rats. They know they'll lose the fight :)

The answer is education. At my kids school, all of the kids just throw their trash on the floor. The teachers just let them do it! At a recent event, I watched as their parents and whole families did the same. At the end of the meeting, about 2 hours, a mountain of uneaten food and trash was left behind. Every chair was covered with sticky gunge and spilled sugary drinks. Hordes of ants appeared from nowhere and bit us to death.

I remember the days when I was at school when it was 1 hour's detention if you even threw a small piece of paper on the floor.

Our small female cat killed a huge rat here in Chiang Mai and drug it in to show it off to us. That rat was half the size of the cat!

There are lots of pussy cats on Beach Road, but adding snakes to the area would be pointless. Thais eat snake, they eat rats and I am sure they eat pussy too.

I am surprised the soi dogs don't eat them, but the Pattaya council cleared all the dogs off the fabulous waterfront didn't they. :)

Edited by ratcatcher