Thai Authorities Recommend Week-long Curfew Extension

george

Thai authorities recommend week-long curfew extension

BANGKOK, May 24, 2010 (AFP) - Thai authorities will ask the government to extend a curfew in Bangkok and 23 provinces for another week in the wake of a crackdown on anti-government protesters, an army official said Monday.

Army spokesman Colonel Sunsern Kaewkumnerd said emergency officials would recommend the government maintain the midnight-to-4am curfew for another week, at a cabinet meeting Tuesday.

"There are still some movements to incite unrest. The curfew will facilitate the authorities' work," Sunsern said.

"If the curfew begins at midnight, it will affect the public less," he added.

Five nights of curfew have been enforced after a rampage of arson and looting broke out in the apital in the wake of a Wednesday crackdown on anti-government protests.

The new curfew hours have been gradually shortened.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-24

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cabinet may extend curfew in some areas : Suthep

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Suthep said the anti-government "underground movement" is still active and plans to cause chaos despite Ratchaprasong protest has ended and reds leaders surrendered.

Suthep entered Government House for the first day since red shirts hold rallies at Phan Fa Bridge and then Rajprasong. He and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had used the 11th Infantry Regiment as working venue because of the rallies.

Suthep, as director of Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation, said said he has instructed the authorities to closely monitor the moves of the underground groups.

CRES on Sunday extended the curfew through Sunday and Monday nights, but it was relaxed banning people in Bangkok and 23 other provinces from leaving their homes only from 11pm to 4am.

A curfew was imposed in Bangkok and other provinces on May 19 between 8pm to 6am to allow security agencies to handle the situation and distinguish innocent people from the red shirts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-24

Because it is good for business and tourism. That is why we call protesters terrorists and terrorists in the South "insurgents". The DP would have better looked into the fact why there were no attacks in the South during the murderous attempts to kill people in Bangkok. Are their certain people who used the opportunity?

Cabinet may extend curfew in some areas : Suthep

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Suthep said the anti-government "underground movement" is still active and plans to cause chaos despite Ratchaprasong protest has ended and reds leaders surrendered.

Suthep entered Government House for the first day since red shirts hold rallies at Phan Fa Bridge and then Rajprasong. He and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had used the 11th Infantry Regiment as working venue because of the rallies.

Suthep, as director of Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation, said said he has instructed the authorities to closely monitor the moves of the underground groups.

CRES on Sunday extended the curfew through Sunday and Monday nights, but it was relaxed banning people in Bangkok and 23 other provinces from leaving their homes only from 11pm to 4am.

A curfew was imposed in Bangkok and other provinces on May 19 between 8pm to 6am to allow security agencies to handle the situation and distinguish innocent people from the red shirts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-24

Does any one know about people having flight coming in at the airport about midnight and made reservations at airport hotels to be pick up from our hotels? If we have to stay the night at the airport and loose our bookings too I will start to hate that P.M. myself !

You should be ok if you have passport and tickets to show...

Don't hate the PM... hate the reds :)

I made reservations to be picked up from the hotel past midnight, I do not see any exemption for people arriving at the airport and trying to get to their hotels mine is 1/4 mile away.I contacted my Embassy, was told from them better stay at the Airport.That is B.S.

Edited by hardy1943

You should be ok if you have passport and tickets to show...

Don't hate the PM... hate the reds :)

I made reservations to be picked up from the hotel past midnight, I do not see any exemption for people arriving at the airport and trying to get to their hotels mine is 1/4 mile away.I contacted my Embassy, was told from them better stay at the Airport.That is B.S.

Don’t worry; Army is a lot more understanding tha Police and they do not ask for money. But you have to have a good reason to be out there.

I am willing to lose some of the freedom to ensure the remaining of the terrorist get tired of waiting or the money runs out and they disappear

Plus it makes it very quite to sleep at night since traffic noise is not as high as before :D

Because it is good for business and tourism. That is why we call protesters terrorists and terrorists in the South "insurgents". The DP would have better looked into the fact why there were no attacks in the South during the murderous attempts to kill people in Bangkok. Are their certain people who used the opportunity?

No attacks in the south? Obviously you didn't hear about the poor nurse on her way to work getting shot to death with 6 bullets to her poor body?

I arrived at the airport at 10pm last Wednesday night. First night of the curfew.

I eventually got a taxi to lower Sukhumvit. We got stopped at Nana check-point but i was in the back, a farang with suitcases and was waved through.

I don't think you will have any problems. Keep you ticket and hotel booking.

what use is a curfew between 12 midnight and 4am?

All the municiple market traders start work around 2am and markets open at 4am, that how people get their food stuffs

What about the Field markets, they travel overnight to the site and start setting up around 4am

What a mess urination in a brewery

Its never going to be right again especially if Dr Evil is twanging the wires behind the scenes

Bad idea. I don't agree.

If the terrorists really are hopping about like jack-rabbits as the government says, then ask the public to be more vigilant and report suspicious activity to the rozzers instead of pullin' everyone off the street for another week or more.

Worked like a dream in New York City a few weeks ago when that bloke tried to set off a car bomb

Let me get this straight ...a few days ago, the PM said that "order has been restored in Bangkok". So what is the curfew needed for? Clearly things are not in order. Or they are in order and we're having a curfew for no reason. It's one or the other.

Edited by clown

How about things are in order and we would like them to stay in order. Does that work? :)

An extra week long curfew and a Buddhist holiday with no drinking on Friday I bet the bars hate Abhisit I had some respect for him when he eventually sorted out the reds but this Curfew business is bullshit. :D

Re Poster questioning why no attacks by Red in the South. Some observations and comments.

From comments from Thai friends living down South in Songkla it would seem Red are very much in the minority and the Southern areas are pretty solid Yellow country. The the Red leaders statements that they would burn all the mosques in Thailand would not help their popularity.

Thaksin never did much for the southern area. The 30 baht health scheme was started by the Dems( Chuan Lekpai). Tak Bai is still fresh on many peoples mind.

The Reds have said often they have a million members.Maybe that is all they have. The max number of protesters at any one time in BKK did not reach 100,000 . They were noisy , well organised and with excellent propaganda but they are a minority and will stay that way until they join the mainstream process.

How about things are in order and we would like them to stay in order. Does that work? :)

An extra week long curfew and a Buddhist holiday with no drinking on Friday I bet the bars hate Abhisit I had some respect for him when he eventually sorted out the reds but this Curfew business is bullshit. :D

My goodness. Does it really hurt so much to finish your drinking by 11:30 pm and head home? The curfew is perfectly reasonable. Would you rather come home at 2 in the morning to find your house in flames, or someone elses house or business? Get a grip.

I remember the UK after 1am it wasn't called a curfew but if the police saw you walking down the street they would stop and ask you a million questions and that was any day of the week. The police here must be loving this no key money coming in from the bars that stay open till 4-6am. I sometimes get carried away because the bars don't shut, in away i think its good to see some actual enforcement for a change. Can't wait till they start enforcing the red light traffic laws here or underpaid labour laws would help the poor no end. Most of this problem seems to stem from poor people, most of which are exploted and paid under the minimum wage, the goverment should start an awareness program about how much employers have to pay them by law, that way they would be a bit richer and happier, if the government can be bothered that is.

I remember the UK after 1am it wasn't called a curfew but if the police saw you walking down the street they would stop and ask you a million questions and that was any day of the week. The police here must be loving this no key money coming in from the bars that stay open till 4-6am. I sometimes get carried away because the bars don't shut, in away i think its good to see some actual enforcement for a change. Can't wait till they start enforcing the red light traffic laws here or underpaid labour laws would help the poor no end. Most of this problem seems to stem from poor people, most of which are exploted and paid under the minimum wage, the goverment should start an awareness program about how much employers have to pay them by law, that way they would be a bit richer and happier, if the government can be bothered that is.

I am starting to wonder if this is a form of punishment for the police.

but seriously....how long do they want to keep this up?? Forever? If these so called "terrorist" want to do anything, they can do it whatever time they want, or whenever they finally decide to take off the curfew...

Was it two years ago that an incident prompted not bin/trash container available to avoid any future events? Maybe curfew can be similiar. Or maybe don't rebuild any destroyed building b/c it might be destroyed again by red fanatics? Seems when there lacks a genuine plan - do something. Maybe that's the reason. Why the hel_l didn't they get all the reds names etc when they were "departing" their "non violent" crap?

There's no need for the curfew to be extended. There were IRA bombers all over the place in Blighty for 40 years and I can't remember any curfews. On 7/7, I took the Central Line to Bank station instead of my usual Hammersmith & City or Circle Line to Aldgate. But for a stroke of luck, I might have been on that carriage with all those poor people but I'm fugged if I was going to let that stop me lashin' it on the weekends.

Life goes on and the Thai authorities would have a better chance of catching these lunatics if they enlisted the help of what is a highly observant Thai public instead of clearing the streets at night.

What does an 11pm -6AM curfew actually stop?

They won't capture a real terrorist this way. And a terrorist attack is more likely to take place during the day or early ebvening anyway.

I really don't like army governments, pity Thailand can't have democracy really.

My guess is that they will extend the curfew for another 2 - 3 days, maybe from 00:00 to 04:00. It is probably needed to keep the troublemakers in check. There's still a clear and present danger.

Altogether I think troubles will last until October before we can be sure that things will have turned normal by then. I expect a few after shocks to happen. - Hope I'm wrong though.

Passengers to and from the airport are not included in the curfew. Taxis are not allowed to drive without passengers.

Agree - the blood is still on the boil at their loss. They have now had time to regroup and plan their next moves. They may be leaderless but the new generation of would-be hopefuls have probably stepped up to the plate - no game plan - just more destruction. And the exiled loser has promised them ten baht and a place in his next parliament and 12 virgins if he can find any he hasn't f**ked. :D

On one hand - no one in the right frame of mind will ever vote them in but on the other hand, stupidity and ignorance is bliss. This time shoot on sight if they carry any weapon whatsoever and send a clear message - don't <deleted> with Thailand. :):D :D

What does an 11pm -6AM curfew actually stop?

They won't capture a real terrorist this way. And a terrorist attack is more likely to take place during the day or early ebvening anyway.

I really don't like army governments, pity Thailand can't have democracy really.

So far there has been 511 arrests with 12 months jail sentences and 2,000 Baht fine - oh and they suspended the jail terms. What sort of curfew is this? 12 months jail and 100,000 Baht should be the go. What is the point of any curfew if there is none... Buffaloes all over. I bet if it were a Farang there would be far heavier penalties.