Road Traffic Accidents Involving Farangs

seahorse

I have heard many horror stories about farangs being held responsible for accidents involving them and Thai drivers even when the other party was at fault. Has anyone heard of a case where a Thai had to pay the farang?

I am extremely careful when I'm driving so that it doesn't happen to me, but there are so many lunatic drivers about that it could happen very easily that one of them crash into me when I'm doing absolutely nothing wrong. I have had a few narrow escapes. What should one do in the event of one of them actually connecting?

What should one do in the event of one of them actually connecting?

3 simple suggestions:

1. Immediately call your insurance company and wait for them sort it out.

2. Under no circumstances admit liability on the scene.

3. Make sure the police are involved.

Sure. Some farang here even posted a story recently about how his kid put his car in gear causing it to hit the Thai-driven car in front, but the police blamed the Thai guy..

And the farang didn't say anything, letting the Thai guy pay. I got the sense he was proud of that. I wouldn't be.

I had a minor fender-bender with a songthaew driver, but he paid up, and there were no police involved.

I've heard the same horror stories as you, but have yet to ever come across a documented case where that story of being screwed was really true, but I have see a few examples of farangs whinning about being given the blame even when they were to blame, really.

Often the cops will just simply assign 50/50 blame

Edited by Ajarn

I'll give you chapter and verse.

Feb 16 this year my g/f and I were smashed on her motorbike by a Thai. He didn't look right as he was turning. My right leg was split open from knee to ankle. 11 days in hospital and two operations. After 3 months, it healed and other than the scar I'm mobile again.

The Thai chap stopped. He was fully insured. My g/f knew his family. My 100,000 Baht hospital bills were paid through his insurance.

Now, I want compensation and lawyers are on to it. Whether that works is another matter.

So yes. I've been in an accident and was, to a degree, compensated.

All the talk of "you won't get anything" is generally rubbish. It all depends on the insurance policy the Thai has.

Oh yes, it helps if he stops. I appreciate we were both lucky to a degree in this incident.

I have had quite a few accidents in LOS

I have always been paid either by insurance or the other guy.

Having a good insurance company is important here.

I posted this under the heading "being ripped off" earlier.

Yes, I had first class insurance and, yes I was at fault, (one stupid second of inattention) yes I did everything I thought should be done.

Back in June of 2004 I was involved in an accident with my car and a motorbike in Phuket driven by a guy who had an illegal side car attached to it, no insurance as well as no driver's license (what else is new). Well the man had a badly injured knee. The hospital they had taken him to, wanted to amputate his leg, therefore I had him transferred to the International Hospital in Phuket. Since the hospital did not trust my insurance company (I found out why later on) I paid the daily charges, such as private room, ICU, surgery etc. All in all it came to around 260,000 Baht. I did visit the man at the hospital several times and remember when I first met his family right after the accident. Instead of a grieving wife and daughter I found smiling faces. "Hot dog, we are in fat city now. A Falang and looks like one with money" !!!!! At the settlement hearing the family was asking for 1 million baht compensatory damage because the victim was supposed to have earned 18,000 baht a month as a lumberjack :o The chief of police who was judge and jury, advised me to :"Just bring 200,000 baht and a bottle of Black label". The fact is, it wound up costing me over halve a Million Baht to settle the case out of court, because around the middle of October I received a check from the insurance company for 240,000 Baht to reimburse me for the hospital expenses. It promptly bounced, citing insufficient funds. A trip to their office revealed that they had closed their doors and disappeared. I had also paid 25,000 Baht in advance for the repair of the motor bike, because it was fixed at an "unauthorized" (per insurance) repair shop. I never received a single Baht for that.

At any rate. If I had the money, I would have gladly paid this guy his million. He was only 36 years old and will probably limp for the rest of his life because of my stupidity. :D

If you are driving a car or pick-up and hit a motorcycle you will always be at fault, I heard.

I was ran over by a very drunk motorcyclist years back. It was on an election day, when drinking was illegal. I was ok, but the other guy was kicked to shit by a couple of vendors who saw it. I wanted to forget it but was made go the hospital where the guy then did a runner. He appeared at the police station a couple of hours later, still plastered and I saw him hand the copper 3 or 400 baht. His insurance paid for the hospital treatment.

If you are driving a car or pick-up and hit a motorcycle you will always be at fault, I heard.

I was ran over by a very drunk motorcyclist years back. It was on an election day, when drinking was illegal. I was ok, but the other guy was kicked to shit by a couple of vendors who saw it. I wanted to forget it but was made go the hospital where the guy then did a runner. He appeared at the police station a couple of hours later, still plastered and I saw him hand the copper 3 or 400 baht. His insurance paid for the hospital treatment.

I also heard that you're always at fault when you're involved in an accident with a motorcycle. But why so? Is that irrespective of if the motorcyclist was drunk like in your case or like aviador88's case where the other guy was riding without a license/insurance but with an illegally modified motorcycle, which sounds like a pretty serious offence if in other country? Will that be taken into account when judging who's at fault?

Gosh, how is it you were 'OK' when you were ran over by a motorcycle? I saw a woman ran over from behind by a soi motorcycle taxi in Soi Ruamrudee many years ago near the US embassy. I don't know if she died but she just fell on the road unconscious and what was more shocking to me was nobody bothered to come out of the car to aid her when both side of the street was jam-packed with cars in the morning traffic, and the motorcyclist seemed to be more worried about the damage to his motorcycle than for this poor woman.

Edited by Nordlys

I also heard that you're are always at fault when you're involved in an accident with a motorcycle

Good rule of thumb here, maybe...

"Any statement with 'always' is inherrently untrue" :o

For sure it's not always true about bikes vs cars. Seen and heard of more than a couple that went the other way...

Back in June of 2004 I was involved in an accident with my car and a motorbike in Phuket driven by a guy who had an illegal side car attached to it, no insurance as well as no driver's license (what else is new). Well the man had a badly injured knee. The hospital they had taken him to, wanted to amputate his leg, therefore I had him transferred to the International Hospital in Phuket. Since the hospital did not trust my insurance company (I found out why later on) I paid the daily charges, such as private room, ICU, surgery etc. All in all it came to around 260,000 Baht. I did visit the man at the hospital several times and remember when I first met his family right after the accident. Instead of a grieving wife and daughter I found smiling faces. "Hot dog, we are in fat city now. A Falang and looks like one with money" !!!!! At the settlement hearing the family was asking for 1 million baht compensatory damage because the victim was supposed to have earned 18,000 baht a month as a lumberjack  The chief of police who was judge and jury, advised me to :"Just bring 200,000 baht and a bottle of Black label". The fact is, it wound up costing me over halve a Million Baht to settle the case out of court, because around the middle of October I received a check from the insurance company for 240,000 Baht to reimburse me for the hospital expenses. It promptly bounced, citing insufficient funds. A trip to their office revealed that they had closed their doors and disappeared. I had also paid 25,000 Baht in advance for the repair of the motor bike, because it was fixed at an "unauthorized" (per insurance) repair shop. I never received a single Baht for that.

At any rate. If I had the money, I would have gladly paid this guy his million. He was only 36 years old and will probably limp for the rest of his life because of my stupidity. 

An expensive accident. What would have happened if you had no money, or said you didn't?

Gosh, how is it you were 'OK' when you were ran over by a motorcycle? I saw a woman ran over from behind by a soi motorcycle taxi in Soi Ruamrudee many years ago near the US embassy. I don't know if she died but she just fell on the road unconscious and what was more shocking to me was nobody bothered to come out of the car to aid her when both side of the street was jam-packed with cars in the morning traffic, and the motorcyclist seemed to be more worried about the damage to his motorcycle than for this poor woman.

I was very "lucky" :o , just a cut to my leg, and it was pretty sore for a few days.

The worst I saw was at a busy junction(Siam Square and Payathai), where a big motorcycle accelerated quickly and hit a little girl, who was very close to me. She jumped off the pavement and was hit by this guy. She must have gone up 10 feet in the air and travelled about 30-40 feet in the air. She looked like a rag doll. I was with two friends, one a medical student and one a nurse, who rushed to the girl. She had a broken pelvis. Not sure who paid for the hospital.

Having a good insurance company is important here.

Such as?

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company? And what will a policy usually cover? Is the insurance that came with my bike not adequate?

Simone, I would think that the insurance that you got with your bike is only the compulsary govt.third party insurance. You will need comprhensive cover to protect you in case of accident, this one covers damage to vehicles , any major insurance coy can provide .

Back in June of 2004 I was involved in an accident with my car and a motorbike in Phuket driven by a guy who had an illegal side car attached to it, no insurance as well as no driver's license (what else is new). Well the man had a badly injured knee. The hospital they had taken him to, wanted to amputate his leg, therefore I had him transferred to the International Hospital in Phuket. Since the hospital did not trust my insurance company (I found out why later on) I paid the daily charges, such as private room, ICU, surgery etc. All in all it came to around 260,000 Baht. I did visit the man at the hospital several times and remember when I first met his family right after the accident. Instead of a grieving wife and daughter I found smiling faces. "Hot dog, we are in fat city now. A Falang and looks like one with money" !!!!! At the settlement hearing the family was asking for 1 million baht compensatory damage because the victim was supposed to have earned 18,000 baht a month as a lumberjack  The chief of police who was judge and jury, advised me to :"Just bring 200,000 baht and a bottle of Black label". The fact is, it wound up costing me over halve a Million Baht to settle the case out of court, because around the middle of October I received a check from the insurance company for 240,000 Baht to reimburse me for the hospital expenses. It promptly bounced, citing insufficient funds. A trip to their office revealed that they had closed their doors and disappeared. I had also paid 25,000 Baht in advance for the repair of the motor bike, because it was fixed at an "unauthorized" (per insurance) repair shop. I never received a single Baht for that.

At any rate. If I had the money, I would have gladly paid this guy his million. He was only 36 years old and will probably limp for the rest of his life because of my stupidity. 

An expensive accident. What would have happened if you had no money, or said you didn't?

According to my Thai friend who was invaluable during the entire ordeal, I first would have been locked up. (The let me go with his promise to vouch for me.)

Thereafter I probably would have been deported promptly. :o

I also found out, had I not had an international driver's license at the time, the insurance would have paid nil.