New Bar Laws..

LivinLOS

This is a repost of information provided by a close mate of mine, who is connected with a bar in Kamala Phuket. Hes not the kind of guy who makes stuff up, dreams things, or posts things hes not sure of.

This is as informed by the local police.

New Laws - coming to a bar near you!

The previous weekend we had a number of Bangkok Police, accompanied by Patong/Kathu police visit Bars & Restaurants in Lala, detailing the new law regarding bars in Thailand, yes they said this law was coming into effect for all bars and restaurants in the whole country. Not sure at present if these laws are to apply to Hotels and Nightclubs, but cannot see why they would be excluded. Thought it was a scam or joke at first, but then they produced government posters etc confirming the points they made.

They only managed to visit 6 places in the first day and have not come back since, but was told this was because they had been called back to Bangers due to the unrest last week. So 6 places brought in the new law 60 bars in the village were not told yet so have carried on regardless, time will see if they return and inform all other establishments and also of course in Patong and elsewhere. I spoke to a contact last week about this and he confirmed they had already done this in Ranong, so its looking countrywide and not a joke?

Okay so to the new rules:-

Rule One – No alcohol to be served before 5pm on any day.

Can’t understand the reasoning behind this, as I do not know of anywhere that is suffering from say, daytime drunks activities? But I do know that this will hit a lot of bars and restaurants trade if no alcohol sales, no wine with your lunch, surely it has to apply to Hotels as well, wow what kick in the teeth on the back of a low low season, how can this not harm tourism?.

Rule Two – No internal or external alcoholic adverts, ie no product advertisement on bottle condoms, beer mats, clocks, mirrors, glasses, signage, posters etc.

I can see an argument for external advertising, maybe subliminally luring you in for a drink, but once inside why would I be influenced to buy a drink just because I saw a Tiger beer mat?, surely once I’m in my purpose has already been set? Bet Chang will be happy after just spending a squillion baht on all those external bar illuminated signs!!

Rule Three – all bars can stay open until 2am

The only new rule that offered something back, but not really as all bars in Kamala open until 2am anyway!!

Rule 4 – No smoking in ANY bar or restaurant. Penalty for bar owner 20,000bht for smoker 2,000bht.

Seen the posters on this one, sticky backed, in Thai, Chinese and English already up in a couple of Lala bars, already operating. I know they brought in the no smoking law last year but it then only applied to internal bars, it now applies all bars outside or not.

This rule will decimate the bar trade, just look at England, some bars here will open beer gardens, but then you will miss all the action by being outside, most bars do not have the space for beer gardens, they are small shop units. Consider Bangla Road, all sois except Eric cannot smoke as no area to do so, but Soi Eric has the table area outside, would that be out of the bar? If it is, then you’ve just made a fortune Nicke!! And anyone thinking of buying a bar, get one in Soi Eric double quick time!!!

I am not passing on a what a mate told me, this has happened in Lala. They are supposed to be coming back this week to tell all other bar owners. The first 6 complied on day one, but as they have been away most are reverting back now to taking no notice. The owners visited the local Orbitor and asked his opinion, he said to comply but to watch and see if they did it in Patong, if so okay, if not then he would complain, but to who and how much to get the locals police to turn a blind eye!

Hopefully this will be ignored by the Thais and we will go back to normal in a few weeks, but just a warning it is coming to a bar near you!!!

While some are arguable (smoking) the 5pm no alcohol law will simply kill many bars I know that do a brisk daytime trade.

Has anyone heard anything along these lines anywhere else ??

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit alcoholic beverages a year ago , did like a drink when I wanted one though , at this time it is all san-fairy-anne to me , should this actualy come into a fact , watch tourism drop even more and 'Customer service ' will surely take a hard hit .

Could this just be some sort of covoluted effort to impress on the Falang population 'We do not like or need you here in our pristine culture country that you are all destroying '.

Doesn't looks very efficient to me. Isn't it usually that the Bar Owners get called to the Town hall to get such changes, or just handed out a letter informing them about changes, similar to the one they get if they can stay open or not at Holidays.

If they needed so much time to "explain", I think they just couldn't walk or talk after 6 Bars.

Can’t understand the reasoning behind this

This is discourage school children from skipping school in order to go out drinking. This way they will be prevented from doing so until the school day is over and homework is completed.

I wonder what is the deal behind it - and WHO get's laws like this legislated?

it's simply nut's (sorry!) - they only have to enforce the rules OUT ON THE STREETS!

Rules like drink driving, speeding, not road worthy vehicles, rude and offensive driving, curtailing -

I still randomly see people going on to the bike or car definitely too drunk to safely handle a vehicle....

As if the 05:00 PM rule would stop people from getting drunk... yeah... as if.. wonder whom serves this rule!

Can’t understand the reasoning behind this

This is discourage school children from skipping school in order to go out drinking. This way they will be prevented from doing so until the school day is over and homework is completed.

great logic!! Any kids wanting to drink wont go to a bar, they usually do what i and most other kids did, sneak a few bottles from dads stash :D

couple of points;

when was the last time anyone saw any school children walk into a bar and order a drink?

does this apply to bars in hotels as well? Great for the tourist who want a few lunchtime drinks

why dont they just demand that people that look of a certain age ie young, produce ID?

and follow it up with heavy penalties if the business is caught selling alcohol to minors?

draconian :)

Edited by Donnyboy

Can't understand the reasoning behind this

Agree. Seems that they want to prevent school kids from having a beer in the bars. :D

Funnily enough, the rule of not selling alcohol between 2 and 5 pm doesn't seem to apply to mom&pop shops, judging from what I have seen over the years, i.e. the kids buying the booze there and drinking right in front of the shop. --> TiT... :)

Edited by 7

Can't understand the reasoning behind this

what about all the mom and pop shops that sell alcohol, without a blink of an eye lid. ignore all laws about selling alcohol on religious holidays, election days etc.... plus sell between 2pm-5pm in the afternoon. are they going to be pulled into line too?

Edited by tigerfish

Sounds like responsible service of alcohol to me. :)

Of course, everyone recognises what an aweful substance alcohol is and it playing part in a large amount of assualts, domestic abuse, motor vehicle collisions and so forth.

It's a pity these new laws don't go far enough to ensure safety for all the worlds occupants & of course, irregardless of what the laws are its unlikely they will be enforced fairly. :D

These are really not new laws most are on the books as we speak.

Not sure on that..

Smoking not allowed even in open air bars ?? I thought the current law was only enclosed bars / with AC type ??

The no alcohol sales until 5pm.. I didnt think that was a current law for bars.

These are really not new laws most are on the books as we speak.

Not sure on that..

Smoking not allowed even in open air bars ?? I thought the current law was only enclosed bars / with AC type ??

The no alcohol sales until 5pm.. I didnt think that was a current law for bars.

All the laws you summed up,except maybe the smoking in open beer bars,are on the books for years already here in Pattaya,as are many more in that regard.Only thing is that they are not enforced currently.However I recall that they were enforced a few years ago in the matter that the bars even couldn't open before 5 PM.

Reason for that might be that if they are enforced and everyone abides with the law then the there is no oportunity for teamoney anymore. :)

Of course, everyone recognises what an aweful substance alcohol is and it playing part in a large amount of assualts, domestic abuse, motor vehicle collisions and so forth.

It's a pity these new laws don't go far enough to ensure safety for all the worlds occupants & of course, irregardless of what the laws are its unlikely they will be enforced fairly. :D

Do you think people should be allowed to drink in moderation in a bar during the hours of 2 and 5 in the afternoon?

It's no wonder I don't go out much anymore.

Can you imagine a tourist wondering the streets of Thailand on a hot day and wanting to have a beer somewhere at 2pm and being told sorry, not allowed.

Why don't they just ban tourism altogether and be done with it.

How come that the doom and gloomers always come out of the woodwork?

To quote Dumball

"Could this just be some sort of covoluted effort to impress on the Falang population 'We do not like or need you here in our pristine culture country that you are all destroying '."

So as soon as a law is passed it's pertaining to the farang population?

Get a life.

It's no wonder I don't go out much anymore.

Can you imagine a tourist wondering the streets of Thailand on a hot day and wanting to have a beer somewhere at 2pm and being told sorry, not allowed.

Why don't they just ban tourism altogether and be done with it.

I have to agree with you here, i don't drink myself but when my dad is here he likes a few beers before 5 at times. Especially when fishing but i don't think that will be a problem. I think this might impact tourism for sure.

Do you think people should be allowed to drink in moderation in a bar during the hours of 2 and 5 in the afternoon?

Actually carmine, I'm a bad person to ask that sort of question. Anyway, despite whatever we all think, obviousloy the law makers and policy makers here in LOS think its a bad idea to consume alcohol between these hours. I tend to agree with them but they have only come part way in a soloution to the alcohol problem here.

Of course, I think anyone being objective can see that there may be a problem with some kinds of people starting to consume alcohol early in the day & of course I am referring to those who start drinking then and dont stop until the wee hours & normally those ones are the ones who are later causing problems for the rest of society. I further acknowledge that its hard to pick the mark or selectively enforce the law fairly to all, ie: Allowing responsible drinkers to consume alcohol at 2pm yet stop irresponsible ones.

As I have already stated twice, the authorities have stopped short of addressing the real alcohol issues here, such as serving alcohol to intoxicated people & serving it late or into the early hours of the morning.

In a perfect world, alcohol would be either banned or highly regulated, such as 2 alcoholic beverages per person per day & when one purchases one drink they would have thier skin marked with a dye that didnt wash off easily, this would stop them moving up to the next watering hole for another two drinks. Of course all would be standard type drinks, heavily taxed to support increased enforcement & the drops in Assaults, domestic violence and alcohol related mva's would be overwhelmingly significant.

Of course, some would scream about drops in tourism whilst others would argue that this would attract a different type of tourist.

Alcohol is an evil substance and its costs on society worldwide has far outstripped the costs of illicit drugs. I don't understand people that need abuse drugs in order to enjoy themselves, something is wrong with people that do this. :D

Thai laws are not difficult to understand at all!

Rule number 1:

Any given law in Thailand is created to allow your police-force to find creative ways to collect tea-money from it.

Rule number 2:

If a law benefits the average citizen, police is not doing their work properly....please go back to rule number 1.

Actually carmine, I'm a bad person to ask that sort of question. Anyway, despite whatever we all think, obviousloy the law makers and policy makers here in LOS think its a bad idea to consume alcohol between these hours. I tend to agree with them but they have only come part way in a soloution to the alcohol problem here.

Of course, I think anyone being objective can see that there may be a problem with some kinds of people starting to consume alcohol early in the day & of course I am referring to those who start drinking then and dont stop until the wee hours & normally those ones are the ones who are later causing problems for the rest of society. I further acknowledge that its hard to pick the mark or selectively enforce the law fairly to all, ie: Allowing responsible drinkers to consume alcohol at 2pm yet stop irresponsible ones.

As I have already stated twice, the authorities have stopped short of addressing the real alcohol issues here, such as serving alcohol to intoxicated people & serving it late or into the early hours of the morning.

In a perfect world, alcohol would be either banned or highly regulated, such as 2 alcoholic beverages per person per day & when one purchases one drink they would have thier skin marked with a dye that didnt wash off easily, this would stop them moving up to the next watering hole for another two drinks. Of course all would be standard type drinks, heavily taxed to support increased enforcement & the drops in Assaults, domestic violence and alcohol related mva's would be overwhelmingly significant.

Of course, some would scream about drops in tourism whilst others would argue that this would attract a different type of tourist.

Alcohol is an evil substance and its costs on society worldwide has far outstripped the costs of illicit drugs. I don't understand people that need abuse drugs in order to enjoy themselves, something is wrong with people that do this. :)

I have to disagree with you here mr Neverdie I am all for free drugs and so on. I don't understand why the majority of people who can use a substance without abusing it should suffer for a minority that abuses it. Its better to focus on the abuse then on getting rid of the substance, humans have always used substances and always will.

I almost seldom drink alcohol but have in the past when i lived in Holland and i did enough illigal substances there. I had a perfectly normal life and a good job a no problem in the world. Just like many other people i knew, sure there are always a few who abuse it but those should be taken care of not the substance itself.

Its like banning cars because you can speed with them, speeding is the problem not the car itself.

Anyway this is my point of view some might flame me for it and others might see it the same way, but its a controversial opinion to say the least.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with you here mr Neverdie I am all for free drugs and so on. I don't understand why the majority of people who can use a substance without abusing it should suffer for a minority that abuses it. Its better to focus on the abuse then on getting rid of the substance, humans have always used substances and always will.

I almost seldom drink alcohol but have in the past when i lived in Holland and i did enough illigal substances there. I had a perfectly normal life and a good job a no problem in the world. Just like many other people i knew, sure there are always a few who abuse it but those should be taken care of not the substance itself.

Its like banning cars because you can speed with them, speeding is the problem not the car itself.

Anyway this is my point of view some might flame me for it and others might see it the same way, but its a controversial opinion to say the least.

Thats alright mate, its a free world and on the forum we are allowed to agree or disagree with each other without being abusive about it. neverdie removes robblok from xmas card list. I agree with some of what you have said, such as the car speeding example BUT having said all of that, when one takes an educated look at the true cost of alcohol on society one can only see that something drastic needs to occur in order to make the world a safer place for all.

Neverdie is an anti drugs man & indeed silly enuf without being under the influence of anything. :)

Thats alright mate, its a free world and on the forum we are allowed to agree or disagree with each other without being abusive about it. neverdie removes robblok from xmas card list. I agree with some of what you have said, such as the car speeding example BUT having said all of that, when one takes an educated look at the true cost of alcohol on society one can only see that something drastic needs to occur in order to make the world a safer place for all.

Neverdie is an anti drugs man & indeed silly enuf without being under the influence of anything. :)

Damm gone from your chistmascard list.. hmmm :D

Anyway i do understand alcohol costs a lot i just don't like banning things because that punishes also the people who can do things in moderation and control themselves. Anyway like i said before it won't affect me (i seldom drink) but still i don't like these kinds of things.

Remember in England when pubs had to shut between 3pm and 6pm every weekday? (2 to 7 Sundays)

Just do what you did back then, get a few 6 packs from the off license before closing time, go to the local cemetary and drink them while waiting for the pubs to re-open at 6pm.

Alcohol is an evil substance and its costs on society worldwide has far outstripped the costs of illicit drugs. I don't understand people that need abuse drugs in order to enjoy themselves, something is wrong with people that do this. :D

I understand and agree with a lot of what you say.

However, what about people that "enjoy" a drink, maybe a glass of wine with a meal, others what that meet up a a drink and a chat for an hour. Why penalise them because of a minority?

The root of the problem is generally i believe in the person themself, not the alcohol, otherwise would'nt we all be totally disfunctional?

Remember in England when pubs had to shut between 3pm and 6pm every weekday? (2 to 7 Sundays)

Just do what you did back then, get a few 6 packs from the off license before closing time, go to the local cemetary and drink them while waiting for the pubs to re-open at 6pm.

This is a very good point. Before all day drinking in the UK I would arrive at my local at 2pm before the doors and curtains would shut at 3pm with a packed pub and no one would leave until 7pm...Great afternoon sessions in those days!

The week after the laws changed the place was empty on a Sunday afternoon. Work that one out? :D

Better to have people drinking in a regulated environment I think.