Thai Court Approves Arrest Warrant Against Thaksin On Terrorism Charge

webfact

Thaksin's lawyer to submit appeal against Thaksin's warrant

Phichit Chuenban, a lawyer of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said Wednesday that he will submit an appeal against the Criminal Court's approval of terrorism arrest warrant against Thaksin.

Phichit said he will submit the appeal to the Criminal Court later Wednesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Well .... we knew it wouldn't be Robert Amsterdam :)

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sae Daeng article HAS been talked to death here .... Mazeltov's attempt to drag other issues into his death is noted.

Really? When and where?

Can you give me a link to the discussion, i would like to read what other board members have written.

Thank you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Shirts-L...ot-t364824.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Seh-Daeng-Dead-t366041.html particularly http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Seh-Daeng-De...al#entry3616788 but not much discussion on the particular article Mazeltov posted.

Edited by whybother

Rabo --- Sae daeng might be a hero to some but he was a terrorist and killer as well. There is absolutely no reason to assume the guy that took the shot that was the proximal cause of his death is a coward. Certainly he was less of a coward than a man that ordered the grenade attacks of so many non-combatants. Whoever killed Sae Daeng was one professional military man (not nec. in the employ of the government) taking out the command and control of an illegal militia. Sae daeng expressed respect for the killing of the senior officer on April 10th for exactly that reason.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my words, coward refers to Thaksin, the person ultimatly responsible, who flits around the world in his private jet looking for more passports from near failed states to protect him, as others suffer. We also do not know yet who ordered Seh Daeng's death. I also do not defend his actions, as the Thais say, rap gam, he has received his kharma.

Thailand may have just shot themselves in the foot, I think Thaksin has a lot to answer for but now because Thailand has now charged him with terrorism which carries the death penalty countries like the UK will not extradite him or anyone else who faces a death penalty.

May be they do not actually want him back?

Perceptive posting.

Thanks for helping to cut through the fog, Basileus.

It hardly matters whether Thanksin is or isn't extradited. The Red Shirt movement will grow in strength and eventually their demands will need to be accommodated.

:) Sure they took a big step towards that last week when they burnt down 30+ buildings and left thousands of working class BKK people out of work! Who wouldn't want to back that kind of movement? All of Thailand is thrilled with the way they handled themsleves haven't you seen the praise they are getting :D:D Will grow in strenth :D it seems to have self destructed! where do you people come from?

Obviously you are running on emotion. The prior poster is correct, red idealism or the movement will eventually grow. Bangkok is not Thailand. I do hope there is no further chaos, but the door was opened for "Red Thought" by the Military coup. Repression by the government will only lead to more confrontations. It is time to address the needs of all Thailand not just Bangkok and I believe Abhisit knows this. I do believe he has the smarts and the will to lead Thailand into a new era.

I agree. What I don't agre with is "red shirt demands will need to be accomodated" The red shirt party, UDD whatever you want to call it won't be winning any elections anytime soon and yeah I do understand that Bangkok is not Thailand cheers for that but also Issan is not Thailand. You should know that besides BKK there is this little part of the country they call the south=yellow

Phichit Chuenban, a lawyer of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said Wednesday that he will submit an appeal against the Criminal Court's approval of terrorism arrest warrant against Thaksin.

:) hahahaha.... the imprisoned pastry-box bribery lawyer is BACK!

Thailand: Lawyers who formerly represented ousted prime minister Thaksin released from prison.

December 23, 2008

Thai News Services

Three lawyers hired by ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were released from Bangkok Special Prison on December 22 after serving six months jail for contempt of court over the pastry-box bribery scandal, The Nation reports.

Phichit Chuenban and Thana Tansiri left the prison at 6am and got quickly into cars brought by their families to avoid throngs of reporters waiting to interview them.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summa...86-36179737_ITM

Yep... it's someone who is even dumber, as difficult as that may be. :D

Phichit Chuenban and Thana Tansiri left the prison at 6am and got quickly into cars brought by their families to avoid throngs of reporters waiting to interview them.

and here's Phichit being led into prison

newsimg696321.jpg

What a wonderful battalion of lawyers (defenders of truth and justice par excellence) that Thaksin still uses to this very day.

Edited by iasian

Yep... it's someone who is even dumber, as difficult as that may be. :D

:D

Amsterdam's newest meme is already being used by reds on the forum. He's not dumb but his past shows that he is a far better spin-doctor than he is a trial lawyer.

I do question WHY a lawyer that was found to have tried to bribe judges wasn't disbarred.

Basically a while back the Thai government screwed up Thaksins travel by playing with his passports and issuing arrest warrants on corruption cases and making him apoltical ho potato. Thaksin eventually got Montengrin citizenship which because of certain agreements with the EU made it easier for him to travel in certain EU countries again and because the nature of the crimes was only corruption meant most countries in the EU would turn a blind eye if he stayed quietish.

The issuance of a terrorism arrest warrant is another matter which raises the stakes. Terrorism is the ultimate scary buzzword in the west. Throw in that Thailand has alwys been a player albeit a minor one in the wests war on terror. Throw in the destruction of Bangkok landmarks in a dramatic manner which few if anyone thinks wasnt associated with the reds who are connected to who? Throw in the Thai government are indicating they regard Thaksin as a not just a major criminal but a terrorist and consider what any western government would think if a country harboured those they labelled as terrorists. It makes flying under the radar and being semi-ignored on a Montenagrin passport a lot harder than when it was on some corruption charges.

It will be interesting to see if the charges are honoured by the international community. Having Kasit presenting the case doesn't help with its objectivity. Maybe time for a change at the foreign ministry.

Im not convinced anyone is worried about charges being honoured. If it came ot a question of that it would be decdied by a local court and no doubt be appealed right to the top level by both sides which would be very time consuming and so probably best avoided by Thaksin which I would guess is one aim of this ie have him think I better avoid the countries with extradition treaties that would use due process ( Cambodia may remain safe on this one as they skipped due process). However, I would guess the main aim is to create a diplomatic hot potato again who most countries especially western ones would rather not have on their soil.

There is also a darker issue that Thailand knows that the last thing the west wants is any precedent of a friendly allied state providing harbour to someone another freindly allied state has labelled a terrorist, which brings us back to hot potatoes.

In all this discussion you forget all one fact: Thailand has the death penalty (not only for terrorism). Every fully civilised country (US only partially) cannot extradite in a country with the death penalty. Before Thailand can ask for extradition of Thaksin the dealth penalty must be abolished (all real Buddhist would be happy) or exclude officially

the death penalty as punishment for Thaksin.

Sorry, that is wrong. The US routinely extradites people from Canada, Europe and other places that do not have the death penalty. The only requirement is that the U.S. will not seek the death penalty. If he faces life in prison with no parole, they hand them to the U.S. no problem.

Thailand may have just shot themselves in the foot, I think Thaksin has a lot to answer for but now because Thailand has now charged him with terrorism which carries the death penalty countries like the UK will not extradite him or anyone else who faces a death penalty.

May be they do not actually want him back?

Perceptive posting.

Thanks for helping to cut through the fog, Basileus.

If they take the death penalty off the table, then extradition can proceed.

The Supreme Court of Canada, in the case United States v. Burns, (2001), has determined that Canada should not extradite condemned persons, unless they have assurances that the foreign state will not apply the death penalty, essentially overruling Kindler v. Canada (Minister of Justice), (1991). This is similar to the extradition policies of other nations such as Germany, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, Israel, Mexico, and Australia, which also refuse to extradite prisoners who may be condemned to death.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Canada

This happens all the time between Canada and the EU, and the US. The US takes the death penalty off the table, and they are extradited. I'm sure him and his lawyers are studying which countries enforce this. I doubt Dubai is one of them.

The Sae Daeng article HAS been talked to death here .... Mazeltov's attempt to drag other issues into his death is noted.

Really? When and where?

Can you give me a link to the discussion, i would like to read what other board members have written.

Thank you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Shirts-L...ot-t364824.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Seh-Daeng-Dead-t366041.html particularly http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Seh-Daeng-De...al#entry3616788 but not much discussion on the particular article Mazeltov posted.

thanks, i appreciate your efforts. I read these topics, but as you said, there isn't much discussion about this particular article, actually zero. Who knows where jdinasia saw this article 'talked to death'. my guess is that it didn't happen.

animatic wrote:

"Shlmazeltop, just because he gets funeral honors as a 'still registered general in the army',

and for his past service to Thailand, doesn't in any way mean his current act

has been condoned by the highest chairas you imply. You also imply all is forgiven,

and that is hardly the case. And you are wrong this was on the forum already

over a week ago."

Where do i imply something? are you dreaming?

I just added some information about Seh Daeng because as usual some member of the board community know little, but are full of bias and prejudices based on gossip, rumours and false information.

And no, the article wasn't posted in the forum. I used the search engine before posting and didn't found the article here.

Anyway, what does are line like 'One down one to go' imply?

Samak also received bathing rights, as far as I recall...

And... What is the problem with Samak now?

It would help if you identified what your attempting to insinuate with the highlighting of that article...

sorry, i posted the news article for purpose to get informed, to add some content that consist of facts instead of ill-founded rumours, propaganda spin or lies.

but you speaks in riddles to me and it is unclear to me why you came up with Samak.

@mazeltov. Now you are being disingenuous, and you know it. Bathing rites are Royally Sponsored if the individual has specific rank [Military or Police] or Royal decorations [Civilian 'rank'].

Therefore there is nothing surprising nor, in terms of the individual's more recent actions, relevant in endeavouring to imply otherwise, but you know that, and so does everyone else., so back to the topic, please.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

It certainly implies that Thaksin has some justice coming to him.

Not being serving military, it is unlikely to be military justice,

and not being on a field of battle and having 'specifically declared war' on the army,

it doesn't imply the same end as Seh Daeng got.

Not that we have any actual idea who took out Seh Daeng now do we?

Seh Deang was shot, murdered while given an interview to a reporter. probably by a sniper who hid somewhere in the dark.

no-one found guilty for it, so we don't know who it was, but you don't hesitate to call it 'justice'.

you must have a very distorted understanding of what 'justice' actually means.

mazeltov; For someone with the answers as you see them, you have a awful lot of questions (you post history). Your offense/defense of asking a question instead of supplying informative, researched, thought out comments on such diverse subject matters, is more than likely a refection of several aspects of your background/education. Do you comprehend my meaning?

but you speaks in riddles to me and it is unclear to me why you came up with Samak.

As A_Traveller points out, you are being disingenuous and fooling nobody.

The point that Insight was making was very clear. Royally sponsored bathing rights are not given to then be used as some sort of vindication of good character of the deceased. They are given in kindness and respect.

The point that Insight was making was very clear. Royally sponsored bathing rights are not given to then be used as some sort of vindication of good character of the deceased. They are given in kindness and respect.

I took my clue from "whybother" 's screenname and just don't bother with that poster. It serves no point :)

I am not going to claim any knowledge or even speculate on any member of the royal family's reasons for doing something other than to say that tradition in Thailand is important.

This is similar to the extradition policies of other nations such as Germany, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, Israel, Mexico, and Australia, which also refuse to extradite prisoners who may be condemned to death.

Australia allows conditional extradition - ie. we'll give him to you *if* your government undertakes not to apply the death penalty.

Kind of strange to see Israel on that list given the way they deal with designated terrorists. No extradition required!

:) hahahaha.... the imprisoned pastry-box bribery lawyer is BACK!

Thailand: Lawyers who formerly represented ousted prime minister Thaksin released from prison.

December 23, 2008

Thai News Services

Three lawyers hired by ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were released from Bangkok Special Prison on December 22 after serving six months jail for contempt of court over the pastry-box bribery scandal, The Nation reports.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summa...86-36179737_ITM

Hopefully during his time spent in prison he has learned to not be so niggardly with the inducements.

Samak also received bathing rights, as far as I recall...

And... What is the problem with Samak now?

It would help if you identified what your attempting to insinuate with the highlighting of that article...

sorry, i posted the news article for purpose to get informed, to add some content that consist of facts instead of ill-founded rumours, propaganda spin or lies.

Playing dumb doesn't suit you. That is better left to the posters like "chantorn", who really have no other choice.

and not being on a field of battle and having 'specifically declared war' on the army,

Seh Deang was shot, murdered while given an interview to a reporter. probably by a sniper who hid somewhere in the dark.

no-one found guilty for it, so we don't know who it was, but you don't hesitate to call it 'justice'.

A terrorist who dared snipers to shoot him gets a bullet in his head. That is justice.

A terrorist who dared snipers to shoot him gets a bullet in his head. That is justice.

Sae daeng is dead. Sae daeng was shot. Sae Daeng was killed. At this moment in time there has been no legal finding that Sae Daeng was "murdered". He was part of an illegal uprising that declared war on the country (literally) and he was a traitor. If the military did it. It wasn't nec. murder. If the government ordered it then it likely wasn't murder. (Killing an enemy commander in occupied territory is unlikely to be considered murder.) If the reds did it ...... then it was one terrorist murdering another?

Yep, "Bathing rites are Royally Sponsored if the individual has specific rank [Military or Police] or Royal decorations [Civilian 'rank']." that is a clear point.

Did you read the article or just the headline? It wasn't just about the prayer rites under royal patronage but contained also a short profile/ fact file about Seh Deang.

Anyway: "not given to then be used as some sort of vindication of good character of the deceased" that implies or hint somehow that in your opinion and maybe in insights opinion too, Samak was same as Seh Deang not a "good character" at all. He could name many other deceased politicians, state officials or army generals. But why especially Samak, so i asked what is wrong with Samak. His assumed 'wrongdoings' could be probably compared with Suthep and Abhisits "right-doings"

A couple of propaganda meister argue here disingenuous. In one entry Samak is painted as some kind of dictator and blamed for the violence of october 76 and that is used as an example of 'red shirt ideology'. And in the next entry now the red are called communists and anti-monarchists. stupid black and white paintings.

'funny' to see that an one-liner like "One down one to go" as comment to an picture of Thaksin and Seh Deang is unproblematic in the eyes of the usual suspects, but a copypaste of an article from The Nation results into bully-the-messenger replies because some internet heroes don't like the content.

'funny' to see that an one-liner like "One down one to go" as comment to an picture of Thaksin and Seh Deang is unproblematic in the eyes of the usual suspects, but a copypaste of an article from The Nation results into bully-the-messenger replies because some internet heroes don't like the content.

Internet heroes? What is that supposed to mean? How does name-calling further the debate?

don't like the content? It wasn't the content that was the problem, it was the way the article was being used erroneously in this debate.