Insurrance

Organise travel insurance from your own country, though you may need to shop around a bit to find a company willing to give a 12 months policy. It is much cheaper generally than buying health insurance in Thailand and won't have the sub-limits that you'll find in the cheaper health insurance policies. You'll also get some basic personal effects and personal accident cover.

You should really be on a tourist visa to get this, just in case they have any reason to see your passport. A non-immigration visa implies you are not just travelling.

Your insurance will be a problem I have never been able to find a travel insurance (the cheapest option) that will allow you more than 90days a trip :) the house rental should not be a problem just come over and ask around in the area you like :D

Your insurance will be a problem I have never been able to find a travel insurance (the cheapest option) that will allow you more than 90days a trip :) the house rental should not be a problem just come over and ask around in the area you like :D

is it possible to buy consecutive policies ?

This is how i do it but i use a travel agent who is a friend of my daughter in law.

Ask your travel agent if you take out a 3 Month policy if it can be extended,

if it can be extended leave your CC details with the agent and email them each time

your insurance is about to expire and if you can only get 3 months extend the policy

for another 3 months.

If you can get a one year policy and you need to return home before it expires

you lose the remaining cover and have to take out a new policy when you return.

I am extending my insurance policy for another 3 months now as i know i wont be

returning in that period, when i know when i am returning i extend the policy to that

date, by extending your policy you avoid the initial fees on a new policy and its cheaper.

A basic policy should give you UNLIMITED medical cover including medical evacuation

which is essential.

This is how i do it but i use a travel agent who is a friend of my daughter in law.

if it can be extended leave your CC details with the agent and email them each time

your insurance is about to expire and if you can only get 3 months extend the policy

for another 3 months.

returning in that period, when i know when i am returning i extend the policy to that

date, by extending your policy you avoid the initial fees on a new policy and its cheaper.

A basic policy should give you UNLIMITED medical cover including medical evacuation

which is essential.

Peter the above sounds a bit strange. Have you ever made a claim on your policy ? It usually has wording in the Policy to stop you having more than the 90 days.

Can you please tell us the name of the Insurance Company to assist us.

I am on a retirement visa and I am very interested in long term cover.

Thank you.

BT :)

Peter Callen, you must have the most unusual travel insurance policy going. Unlimited medical cover and unlimited 90 day extensions at less than the original premium? Are you sure this is with a bona fide insurance company?

Now for the real world:

Travel insurance is meant for travellers, not expats.

If the company suspects that you are more than just travelling then they may well deny any claim. Of course they will happily accept the premium.

If you are a long-term Thailand resident with only travel insurance, be careful! You may find yourself very much out of pocket in the event of a major medical problem.

for another 3 months.

which is essential.

Peter the above sounds a bit strange. Have you ever made a claim on your policy ? It usually has wording in the Policy to stop you having more than the 90 days.

Yes i have made a small claim, the insurance company is Suresave and i purchased the policy

at Jetset travel agency in Applecross, Western Australia.

You can also purchase a annual frequent traveler policy.

I am not a Thai national i stay here on extension of stays on a long term holiday

I do not work in Thailand, i am a self funded retiree and the insurance company knows this.

Can you please tell us the name of the Insurance Company to assist us.

I am on a retirement visa and I am very interested in long term cover.

Thank you.

BT :)

Peter Callen, you must have the most unusual travel insurance policy going. Unlimited medical cover and unlimited 90 day extensions at less than the original premium? Are you sure this is with a bona fide insurance company?

Now for the real world:

Travel insurance is meant for travellers, not expats.

If the company suspects that you are more than just travelling then they may well deny any claim. Of course they will happily accept the premium.

If you are a long-term Thailand resident with only travel insurance, be careful! You may find yourself very much out of pocket in the event of a major medical problem.

I mixed up the answer with the question in my last reply but i am sure the person who asked

the question will understand my reply.

Travel insurance is to cover you while you are overseas and you can purchase a 1 Year policy

If you return before the policy expires you cannot get a rebate.

I spend most of my time on holiday in Thailand but also visit other holiday destinations.

Travel insurance is to give you cover overseas while you are on holidays which is not covered

insurance in Australia, i just happen to spend most of my time on holidays.

When i took my Thai wife to Australia this year the same company covered her while she was in Australia

and she had a far better policy than you can purchase here and it was worth the extra money.

If you extend a insurance policy it is cheaper, just get a quote on a 3 week and a 3 month holiday and you will

find for the time period the 3 month holiday is cheaper, by extending a holiday insurance policy you get the monthly

rate without the set up costs.

On my insurance policy you can extend the insurance policy

as long as you are not over 81 years of age at the time of extension

and certain other restrictions.

Hi Craig,

I am not affiliated in any way other than a member here but I had a very good experience with the ThaiVisa Insurance obtained right here.

I knew I was going to get bigger coverage later, so I didn't go big, I think I spent something like 7000thb for three months, then, ends up, I wipe out on the motorbike. Luckily nothing broken just massive abrasions (taken down to the bone on my ankle), flipped them the ThaiVisa issued insurance card at the hospital, done, covered.

I did end up having to pay for a couple post visits for cleanings 500thb a whack, three times maybe, but overall I would recommend them to anybody.

Cheers, GOM

Hi Craig,

I am not affiliated in any way other than a member here but I had a very good experience with the ThaiVisa Insurance obtained right here.

I knew I was going to get bigger coverage later, so I didn't go big, I think I spent something like 7000thb for three months, then, ends up, I wipe out on the motorbike. Luckily nothing broken just massive abrasions (taken down to the bone on my ankle), flipped them the ThaiVisa issued insurance card at the hospital, done, covered.

I did end up having to pay for a couple post visits for cleanings 500thb a whack, three times maybe, but overall I would recommend them to anybody.

Cheers, GOM

Does the insurance you purchased have UNLIMITED medical cover or is it like all the

other insurance companies i have ckecked here only cover you up to a prearranged

amount of cover them they stop paying your expenses.

Hi Craig,

Cheers, GOM

Does the insurance you purchased have UNLIMITED medical cover or is it like all the

other insurance companies i have ckecked here only cover you up to a prearranged

I think some people confuse accident insurance with travel insurance i have both.

My accident insurance is with the SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK for less than 3000 baht

a year they pay out up to 100000 baht per accident and 1000000 baht in the event

of death by accident, i have claimed on the policy and have no problem renewing it.

Unlimited medical cover is practically impossible to buy and costs a fortune.

Peter, people don't confuse accident with travel insurance, though I know a few people who get offered a Personal Accident policy and think they have full healthcare. It seems that you may think you have full healthcare cover on your policy You don't.

Travel insurance is fairly cheap, comprehensive healthcare cover is very expensive. If you are here long term, I repeat, your travel insurance may not pay. If you are travelling you will get emergency treatment and after that you'll be sent back to your own country for the continuation of the treatment at your expense, or if there's a public health system in place, then you can utilise this.

Travel insurance is NOT full health cover but will probably suit the OP as it's a cheap option. OP, use Thai Visa Insurance by all means if you want healthcare cover but the cheap policies are very limited and won't get you much treatment at Bangkok Phuket, for example. LMG and BUPA both have budget options.

Unlimited medical cover is practically impossible to buy and costs a fortune.

Peter, people don't confuse accident with travel insurance, though I know a few people who get offered a Personal Accident policy and think they have full healthcare. It seems that you may think you have full healthcare cover on your policy You don't.

Travel insurance is fairly cheap, comprehensive healthcare cover is very expensive. If you are here long term, I repeat, your travel insurance may not pay. If you are travelling you will get emergency treatment and after that you'll be sent back to your own country for the continuation of the treatment at your expense, or if there's a public health system in place, then you can utilise this.

Travel insurance is NOT full health cover but will probably suit the OP as it's a cheap option. OP, use Thai Visa Insurance by all means if you want healthcare cover but the cheap policies are very limited and won't get you much treatment at Bangkok Phuket, for example. LMG and BUPA both have budget options.

Its quite plain to me you have never purchased travel insurance in Australia, every policy

i have purchased has UNLIMITED medical cover providing its not needed for a preexisting

medical problem, if i became seriously ill, had a bad accident or even had a stroke since i

do not have preexisting problems i am fully covered.

It is not a cheap policy and it can be extended and i do not use it just to visit the doctor

for normal things, i am allowed to use the BANGKOK PHUKET HOSPITAL or or any other

hospital i chose providing it does not exceed a certain fee and then they have to be

notified and approve the treatment and the company is billed direct.

I know what i am doing and have read the policy and it covers me for everything i want.

The policy costs approximately the same as a full private health care policy i have in

Australia, you can believe what you want but since you have not read the policy you do

know what it covers and i do.

You cannot purchase a policy equal to the one i have in Thailand, you would not be an

insurance salesman by any chance.

Its quite plain to me you have never purchased travel insurance in Australia, every policy

i have purchased has UNLIMITED medical cover providing its not needed for a preexisting

medical problem, if i became seriously ill, had a bad accident or even had a stroke since i

It is not a cheap policy and it can be extended and i do not use it just to visit the doctor

for normal things, i am allowed to use the BANGKOK PHUKET HOSPITAL or or any other

hospital i chose providing it does not exceed a certain fee and then they have to be

I know what i am doing and have read the policy and it covers me for everything i want.

The policy costs approximately the same as a full private health care policy i have in

Australia, you can believe what you want but since you have not read the policy you do

You cannot purchase a policy equal to the one i have in Thailand, you would not be an

I think I have found your policy on the net or at least a very similar one. It is very good cover and probably better than anything available in Thailand or the UK. And you're right about it being expensive!

But it will only cover emergency medical treatment, which is probably all you want anyway and will repatriate you rather than pay ongoing medical costs in Thailand or elsewhere, at which point the Australian health system will take over.

I'm not an insurance salesman but I was an insurance professional for many years (London market), involved in many aspects of the business. What you have is better than the budget healthcare options, which takes me back to my original suggestion to Craig that he buys a travel insurance policy from his home country.

I think I have found your policy on the net or at least a very similar one. It is very good cover and probably better than anything available in Thailand or the UK. And you're right about it being expensive!

But it will only cover emergency medical treatment, which is probably all you want anyway and will repatriate you rather than pay ongoing medical costs in Thailand or elsewhere, at which point the Australian health system will take over.

I'm not an insurance salesman but I was an insurance professional for many years (London market), involved in many aspects of the business. What you have is better than the budget healthcare options, which takes me back to my original suggestion to Craig that he buys a travel insurance policy from his home country.

Ok madmitch as a insurance expert you are halve way to admitting you where wrong.

UNLIMITED MEDICAL COVER

Do you still believe you cannot get unlimited medical cover.

EXTENDING A POLICY

Is your opinion still that you cannot extend a policy and the extension

will not be cheaper for the same period of time as the original cost

For example first thee months $345 AUD second three months $181 AUD

this is a basic policy which covers me for everything i want without the added frills.

MEDICAL EVACUATION

Medical evacuation is not done on a commercial airline but a private

plane with medical staff to attend to you and is VERY EXPENSIVE and

used in country's with poor medical facility's like Bali was many years

ago, not now.

Thailand has excellent hospitals and medical staff and i know people

who have had serious injuries where treated and rehabilitated here.

A Australian should purchase travel insurance in Australia i have never

seen one for overseas that did not have UNLIMITED medical cover.

Ok madmitch as a insurance expert you are halve way to admitting you where wrong.

UNLIMITED MEDICAL COVER

Do you still believe you cannot get unlimited medical cover.

It is on your travel policy therefore is available but NOT on most standard healthcare policies

EXTENDING A POLICY

Is your opinion still that you cannot extend a policy and the extension

will not be cheaper for the same period of time as the original cost

For example first thee months $345 AUD second three months $181 AUD

this is a basic policy which covers me for everything i want without the added frills.

Very unusual but very expensive but you have bought a very good policy.

MEDICAL EVACUATION

Medical evacuation is not done on a commercial airline but a private

plane with medical staff to attend to you and is VERY EXPENSIVE and

used in country's with poor medical facility's like Bali was many years

ago, not now.

Thailand has excellent hospitals and medical staff and i know people

who have had serious injuries where treated and rehabilitated here.

If that is the case, and I have not underwritten Australian travel insurance, then it's an even better policy than I originally thought. Most European policies send people home after a period in hospital for continued treament, on a a scheduled airline.

A Australian should purchase travel insurance in Australia

Agree, provided you are travelling and not on a long-term visa.

i have never seen one for overseas that did not have UNLIMITED medical cover.

They do exist. I found them whilst searching.

See answers in your quote.

I'm always ready to learn and my knowledge of Australian travel insurance products has increased many times over the last few days. Thank you.

Can this be the end of the madmitch v petercallen insurance debate as we sort of hijacked the post?

There are plenty of small guesthouses/ hotels here and you wont have a problem

finding one to suite your budget.

You will probably stay in Patong when you first arrive and on a nightly basis you

should have no problem getting a air conditioned room for 600 baht.

Look around and decide where you want to stay and then find suitable accommodation

in that area, if you just want a room with facility's ask to see the room before you make

up your mind, they will probably show you one of there better rooms then.

If they charge extra for water and electricity ask the unit price and if you can see the

meters, i have had a situation where they have no meters and just charge you what

they think they can get away with.

The problem with using overseas annual multi trip travel insurance, however extendible is..

1) it covers you for emergency use.. Not any medical conditions you may pick up that need ongoing local treatment.

2) if severe they expect you to 'return home' something I wouldnt know where to start as this is home, and I have lived in too many countries in my life to know which one I would be expected to return to.

If your a recent arrival, a short term expat, or someone who has family in a 'home country' that can help take care of you in a serious illness or injury, it can make some sense. However if Thailand is your true home, and you want medical cover to actually cover any possible ongoing medical issues, it probably doesnt (IMO).

Would also be worth noting that if you use the travel insurance, and then pick up a serious ailment, you cant switch to local medical cover as its now a pre existing condition, so your gambling against gaining a problem you may have to pay for, for life.

The problem with using overseas annual multi trip travel insurance, however extendible is..

1) it covers you for emergency use.. Not any medical conditions you may pick up that need ongoing local treatment.

2) if severe they expect you to 'return home' something I wouldnt know where to start as this is home, and I have lived in too many countries in my life to know which one I would be expected to return to.

If your a recent arrival, a short term expat, or someone who has family in a 'home country' that can help take care of you in a serious illness or injury, it can make some sense. However if Thailand is your true home, and you want medical cover to actually cover any possible ongoing medical issues, it probably doesnt (IMO).

Would also be worth noting that if you use the travel insurance, and then pick up a serious ailment, you cant switch to local medical cover as its now a pre existing condition, so your gambling against gaining a problem you may have to pay for, for life.

Try getting medical insurance in Thailand if your over 65 years old.

The option i use is the best one for me, i know all the ins and outs.

It covers me if i have a major accident or get seriously ill and that's all i want.

Your home country/country's is where you have citizen or are allowed to permanently reside

in ( I am citizen of two country's )and you are allowed to use all the government benefits.

Well thats loads of countries.. Any of the EU for a start..

Been an 'expat' or moving all my adult life.. And moved countries loads as a kid, the concept of home is not simple. Thailand is home (most) and I have lived here for about 30% of my life, yet am no closer to citizenship. Getting travel insurance from a country I left 15 years ago and have no desire to return to isnt the best choice.

For some it obviously makes sense, I am just saying its not a blanket solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to reopen this discussion but according to another thread, petercallen, you don't need to do visa runs and you often travel abroad (from Thailand) for short holidays.

I therefore assume that you are on a non-immigrant visa with extension of stay, probably based on retirement. Therefore you are not a tourist.

I would suggest that you think very carefully about using travel insurance as your primary source of health insurance in Thailand. If a claims handler has reason to suspect that you are living in Thailand and are not there purely as a tourist and asks for a copy of your passport/visa then any claim will almost certainly be denied regardless of your nationality and whether or not you have an address in your home country.

Forget earlier discussions about the quality of the cover; of that there is no doubt. It is purely a case of whether or not you are 'travelling'.

You have the policy wording and if you still believe that you are covered then it is up to you, as they say in Thailand. Normally the insurer takes on a risk but in this case I believe that you are the one taking an even bigger risk.

N.B. I had travel insurance myself for the first year of my stay in Thailand but after that I realised it was likely to be invalid therefore I made the change to a much more expensive health insurance product.

• 1 month later...

Your travel policy can be extended for 90 days each time.

KEY WORDS TO NOTE HERE: This is a 90 day policy.

This means your 90 day policy is just that.....a 90 day policy.

There is no mention of an annual policy or even that it is a renewable policy.

Once the first 90 days is over, a new policy is basically in effect.

Even if it is not called a new policy, but an extension, it acts exactly the same as a new policy.

Any conditions that pre-date the new 90-day extension are...............PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS.

This is the reason why travel insurance policies are relatively cheap.

They re-set every 90 days and eliminate the chance of a major medical condition of being covered.

This is also why they can boast unlimited cover.....because the chance of having to pay an expensive claim is so incredibly minimal.

Travel Insurance is basically to cover you against accidents.

Never consider travel insurance as a replacement to annual health insurance.

The older you get, the more pre-existing conditons are going to be eliminated from cover.

This is an automated process because your policy resets itself every 90 days.

You may well feel you are fit and free of any serious medical conditions.

Something will sneak up on you without you realizing something is wrong.

We are not doctors, we never know when it will happen.

Only when you seek treatment for this condition, will the doctor estimate when this condition first manifested itself.

If that condition pre-dates the current 90-day extension of your policy.............you pay the medical bills.

Be aware of the limitations on evacuation.

Evacuation is only considered the last option when there is nothing else left.

You have NO SAY in the evacuation process.

It is a decision made by the attending doctors and insurance company.

Thailand has too many excellent medical facilities to warrant an evacuation.

If you feel you are going to be evacuated because you think it is the best option..........dream on.

Aerial medivac costs have skyrocketed since the twin towers went down.

There are several International health insurance companies that will accept applications from persons that are over the age of 65, there is even one operating in Thailand.

I advise you start looking at the choices available before it is too late.

Your accident insurance through the Siam Commercial Bank is actually with the Siam Commercial Sammagi Insurance company. The 1 million Baht policy pays 1 million on death or total disability due to accidents but not due to motorcycle accidents (this is a lower limit at 100,000 Baht). Their age limit is 70 and they do not insure persons with disabilities or that have chronic illnesses (I read this information from their brochure). I agree, this accident insurance is good value, you will be hard pressed to find something better. I have a policy with ACE INA Insurance that offers better cover at almost the same price and they also have higher levels of cover exceeding 1 million Baht for people that need a higher benefit level.