First Time Visa Applicant...leaving Sunday..a Little Confused..

So me and a friend are supposed to leave for Thailand on Sunday

The Plan -

to spend 3 months backpacking, we plan to spend 8 weeks in Thailand and then go over to Cambodia for a few weeks before returning to fly out of bangkok.

The Problem -

We have no idea which kind of visa to get.

I am British

my friend is Hungarian.

via my understanding I can get a 60 day tourist (and possibly extend it a further 30days?) but will I need something different as we will exit Thailand for Cambodia and return to Thailand?

also, as my friend is Hungarian, she only qualifies for a 30 day Tourist visa (with the possible extension?)

any advice would be greatly appreciated as we don't have much time to muck things up :)

Need to leave the country 3 times maybe you are travelling when in the south go to the Malaysian border then when in the north the Laos border or Mae Sai/Tachileck Burmese border then when in the East Cambodia if need be go to Cambodia 2 weeks at the end of the second month then back to Thailand for the last 30 days. Problem solved :)

Get a Tourist 60 day visa from the embassy/consulate close to your home, if they will give one with multiple entries then you're sorted but if not visit the one in Phnom Penh before you leave Cambodia.

If you fly back into Thailand you'll get 30 days but only 15 at a land border crossing if you don't have a visa. If your friend can only get a single entry visa she will need a visa for every entry, if only for 30 days then I'd suggest a weekend in Laos, its an overnight application, Laos is a beautiful country you may want split your time evenly between all three countries, visas for Laos & Cambodia can be picked up at the Airport/Border crossing or their embassy's in Bangkok.

You both need a visa.

Tourist visa will serve your needs - they can be extended 30 days with payment of 1,900 baht at an Immigration office inside Thailand. Visas are currently free - but you do not have much time.

For Cambodia new visas can be obtained there for return.

As your trip is for 8 weeks in Thailand Tourist visas are all that you will be required. The process will be different for each of you, however:

FOR YOU -- Apply for a (free) single-entry Tourist Visa in the UK. This will give you 60 days (just shy of 8 weeks, so you might want to alter your itinerary slightly) in Thailand. If you do need more time, you can pay 1,900 baht at an immigration office for a 30-day extension. Then go and enjoy Cambodia and do not worry about a visa upon your return to fly out of Bangkok. As a Briton, you qualify for a "visa exemption" which allows you 30 days with just a stamp in your passport.

FOR YOUR HUNGARIAN FRIEND -- She can apply for a 30-day Tourist Visa and can pay to extend it for 1,900 baht. After that, head off to Cambodia. When you two re-enter Thailand to fly out of Bangkok, she will need to purchase a 1,000 Visa on Arrival, which will give her 15 days.

Our expert Legal Advisors can provide you a more detailed information about visa requirements, work permit and company legal issues.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png