Singha Beer Goes Low Alcohol

george

hey.. guys why you don't try a new beer its "Red Horse Beer" 6.5% alcohol content at 34 baht available at Family Mart or Tesco Lutos nationwide. :D   I tried this beer already ..not bad very smooth.  :D

I have been wanting to try "Red Horse" for a long time.

The local Tesco Lotus doesn't stock it.

Is it only available in some stores ?

Hmmm... don't know what to tell you, Thetyim, as I've found it in every Lotus store in the Central region of Thailand. Maybe just the trucks to Phrae are slow??

:o

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES formaldehyde as a preservative in most caned or bottled drinks here in the Kingdom

Why would anyone want to drink a drink with that put in it?

I guess its less work for the guy who will fill you up with that crap (formaldehyde) after you die?

Put your money where your mou th is!

I do and I dont buy anything with formaldehyde as a preservative!

Myths, myths, myths... and indeed amazing how people fall for them :D

Basically, I only drink Singha beer which sells at Makro for 525 baht a case of 12 x 630ml bottles and it only gave me problems once. Reason was not formaldeyde or someone performing voodoo practise on me but rather the next morning problems occured after heavy Singha partying the night before.

I personally believe in "Singha beer contains formadehyde" is as much truth as in my grandmother has a long tail, M-150 contains amphetamines, Thai Red Bull contains much more stimulants than its western equivalents and your can not become president with a low IQ.

Singha beer can be obtained in foreign countries and I even exported it myself to Austria recently.

By the way, the Thai FDA is very strict and taking her job very seriously.

Drinking lots of beer independant from the brand can indeed give you a hangover and a teribble headache but the cause is most likely not formaldeyde but just rather a very natural ingredient called alcohol (pronounced aalllohoool... by barstool "scientists"). If unsure or in doubt do not consult the average pisshead but rather a friendly FDA officier.

Looking forward to getting corrected by someone providing a certificate by a laboratory that discovered formaldehyde in Singha beer. This very moment I shut up my big mouth and give you by best wai but until then I just keep wondering about people's ignorance and tendency to mix up myths with facts.

Prohibited food and substances in Thailand

The substances prohibited to be manufactured, imported, added to, or sold as food ingredients are as follows.

* Brominated vegetable oil

* Salicylic acid

* Boric acid

* Borax

* Calcium iodate or Potassium iodate

* Nitrofurazone,

* Potassium chlorate

* Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde solution and Paraformaldehyde

* Coumarin; 1,2-Benzopyrone; 5,6-Benzo-alpha-pyrone; Cis-o-coumaric acid, anhydride; or O-hydroxycinnamic acid, lactone

* Dihydrocoumarin, Benzodihydropyrone, 3,4-Dihydrocoumarin or Hydrocoumarin

* Methyl alcohol or Methanol

* Diethylene glycol, Dihydroxydiethyl ether, Diglycol, 2,2'-Oxybis-ethanol or 2,2'-Oxydiethanol

* Dulcin (Para-phenetolcarbamide)

* Cyclamic acid and its salts (except Sodium Cyclamate)

* AF-2 (Furylframide)

* Potassium bromate

* Daminozide or Succinic acid 2,2-dimethylhydrazide

* Stevia and derivatives.

Ah, already look foward to my daily bottle of Singha beer tonight.

Cheers,

Richard :o

Edited by Richard Hall

They add formaldehyde as a preservative in very hot countries. As long as the beer is very cold the taste is undetctable. In the Phillipeans the beer in the bars was served so cold that when the bottle was opened it would turn to slush, great taste when you come in from 38 degree heat. Both San Magule and Red Hat had it added.

:o This is quite a silly remark. I am a brewmaster and have worked for San Miguel ( right spelling by the way) and none of their breweries is using any formaldehyde. Nor is Singha or Leo using it, this substance is banned a long time ago in Asian Breweries. The last breweries which used this substance were the Chinese Breweries.

Edited by Schauerte

I first got pissed on Singha in '92. The hangover the next day was horrendous. When I finally surfaced and got to the bar for a melon shake to wash down more painkillers the old worthy at the end of the bar told me it was because of the formaldehyde in the beer that I felt so bad.

Taking him at his word I have never drank it since.

Is this really another Urban Myth ?

Well, that was quite a sound statement. I am a Brewmaster( German) and worked for San Miguel and now for Singha, can only confirm , that no illigal substance like formaldehyde is added to San Miguel or Boonrawd beers.

It is sad, to listen to people and realises their stae of mind. I feel sorry for them!

Myths, myths, myths... and indeed amazing how people fall for them :D

Basically, I only drink Singha beer which sells at Makro for 525 baht a case of 12 x 630ml bottles and it only gave me problems once. Reason was not formaldeyde or someone performing voodoo practise on me but rather the next morning problems occured after heavy Singha partying the night before.

I personally believe in "Singha beer contains formadehyde" is as much truth as in my grandmother has a long tail, M-150 contains amphetamines, Thai Red Bull contains much more stimulants than its western equivalents and your can not become president with a low IQ.

Singha beer can be obtained in foreign countries and I even exported it myself to Austria recently. 

By the way, the Thai FDA is very strict and taking her job very seriously.

Drinking lots of beer independant from the brand can indeed give you a hangover and  a teribble headache but the cause is most likely not formaldeyde but just rather a very natural ingredient called alcohol (pronounced aalllohoool... by barstool "scientists"). If unsure or in doubt do not consult the average pisshead but rather a friendly FDA officier.

Looking forward to getting corrected by someone providing a certificate by a laboratory that discovered formaldehyde in Singha beer. This very moment I shut up my big mouth and give you by best wai but until then I just keep wondering about people's ignorance and tendency to mix up myths with facts.

Prohibited food and substances in Thailand

The substances prohibited to be manufactured, imported, added to, or sold as food ingredients are as follows.

* Brominated vegetable oil

* Salicylic acid

* Boric acid

* Borax

* Calcium iodate or Potassium iodate

* Nitrofurazone,

* Potassium chlorate

* Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde solution and Paraformaldehyde

* Coumarin; 1,2-Benzopyrone; 5,6-Benzo-alpha-pyrone; Cis-o-coumaric acid, anhydride; or O-hydroxycinnamic acid, lactone

* Dihydrocoumarin, Benzodihydropyrone, 3,4-Dihydrocoumarin or Hydrocoumarin

* Methyl alcohol or Methanol

* Diethylene glycol, Dihydroxydiethyl ether, Diglycol, 2,2'-Oxybis-ethanol or 2,2'-Oxydiethanol

* Dulcin (Para-phenetolcarbamide)

* Cyclamic acid and its salts (except Sodium Cyclamate)

* AF-2 (Furylframide)

* Potassium bromate

* Daminozide or Succinic acid 2,2-dimethylhydrazide

* Stevia and derivatives.

Ah, already look foward to my daily bottle of Singha beer tonight.

Cheers,

Richard  :o

I think the real reason people on this forum do not like Singha beer, is the plain and simple fact that Singha is the only Thai beer most tourists know and drink. To admit to liking Singha is to put ones self in the same bracket as a tourist, and that in itself is a horrendous crime to ex-pats all over the world. Basically not so long ago there were only two main beers. Singha for the people that came to Thailand to drink Thai beers and eat Thai food, and Carlsberg, for the tourists who flew 6,000 miles to eat and drink exactly the same as they would do at home. Nowadays the choice is much greater, but with Carsberg gone, and only really Heineken as a known factor, first time tourists are in fact sticking to Singha. In the really high season, Oct,Nov,Dec,Jan my Singha sales outstripped all the other beers by a big margin. Now it's the quiet time Leo,Chang and Archa are the frontrunners.

hey.. guys why you don't try a new beer its "Red Horse Beer" 6.5% alcohol content at 34 baht available at Family Mart or Tesco Lutos nationwide. :D  I tried this beer already ..not bad very smooth.  :D

Oy Red Horse from the Philippines , that stuff will make you crazy. 2-3 people will share that stuff and get sh!t faced . Only the locals drank it because came in a big bottle and higher content . :o

Singha is crap anyway IMO.... don't drink that, and can't see the point in drinking low alcohol beer... might as well have a cup of tea...  :D

totster  :D

dont know whats in it but hard drinkers i know go crazy and paranoid on singha .

all sorts of weird complications occur. i dont touch it .

maybe the production plant draws water from the chaophya river ! :D

Sounds rather like that French stuff, Stella Artois...now that does me in big time :D

Ummmm..... Stell Artois is belgian beer mate.... :o you know... that country with more than 250 kinds of beer...

sante :D

Why isn't anyone mentioning:

Singha tastes like crap.

It probably gives you a hangover because it's got lots of methanol in it.

Why isn't Tiger in this discussion? It's a great beer. Or better still, when you can get it, Asahi beats them all hands down.

If I were an Executive at Boonrawd I’d fire the whole Marketing team plus the Product Managers.

Until about 10 years or so ago Singh had over 80% of the market in Thailand (indeed in the early ‘70’s there were 2 Brands in Thailand – Singh and Amarit – and you could rarely find Amarit outside Bangkok or other major cities). Then when new Manufacturers arrived and / or other Brands were introduced aiming at the so called “Elite” market segment (initially Kloster, Carlsburg, Heineken etc.); instead of concentrating resources on defending their hugely popular single brand Boonrawd decided to introduce their own new Brands such as “Gold” and later “Mittweida” plus I forget what others in an attempt to enter and compete in the new market segment. They only succeeded in fragmenting their own share of the overall Market and diluting the image of the main “Singh” Brand - so allowing new entries like Chang, Leo etc. to establish a foothold and build upon it to the significant detriment of Boonrawds’ overall Market Share.

Plus of course they must have significantly increased production costs because of the need to change production runs, plus other expenses such as stocking different packaging, new advertising etc. etc..

Now they are repeating the failed strategy by introducing a new “low alcohol” Singh – will they never learn!?

Patrick

If I were an Executive at Boonrawd I’d fire the whole Marketing team plus the Product Managers.

Until about 10 years or so ago Singh had over 80% of the market in Thailand (indeed in the early ‘70’s there were 2 Brands in Thailand – Singh and Amarit – and you could rarely find Amarit outside Bangkok or other major cities). Then when new Manufacturers arrived and / or other Brands were introduced aiming at the so called “Elite” market segment (initially Kloster, Carlsburg, Heineken etc.); instead of concentrating resources on defending their hugely popular single brand Boonrawd decided to introduce their own new Brands such as “Gold” and later “Mittweida” plus I forget what others in an attempt to enter and compete in the new market segment. They only succeeded in fragmenting their own share of the overall Market and diluting the image of the main “Singh” Brand - so allowing new entries like Chang, Leo etc. to establish a foothold and build upon it to the significant detriment of Boonrawds’ overall Market Share.

Plus of course they must have significantly increased production costs because of the need to change production runs, plus other expenses such as stocking different packaging, new advertising etc. etc..

Now they are repeating the failed strategy by introducing a new “low alcohol” Singh – will they never learn!?

Patrick

Actually, we sold Amarit in the U.K. There it went under the name of Bangkok Beer. That was phased out round about the same time Amerit disappeared here.

Singha is crap anyway IMO.... don't drink that, and can't see the point in drinking low alcohol beer... might as well have a cup of tea...  :o

totster  :D

dont know whats in it but hard drinkers i know go crazy and paranoid on singha .

all sorts of weird complications occur. i dont touch it .

maybe the production plant draws water from the chaophya river ! :D

Sounds rather like that French stuff, Stella Artois...now that does me in big time :D

OK someone has no idea of beers apparently. Stella is a belgian beer just like Jupiler and about 380 other kids of beers. Stella comes from the student town of Leuven, and is world wide exported by Interbrew.

Singha on the other hand, is... almost as bad, but still better, than Heineken (which according to Belgians does NOT qualify as beer, but rather a chemical composite creating a beer look-a-like substance...) That's also the reason you DON'T find any Heineken in the beermaking country Belgium.

And I think I'm gonna enjoy another Stella right now :D:P:p or a nice Duvel...

Cheers

Last weeks rumour that i heard that Stell Artios is coming to Thailand.

Known in the UK as the wife beater.

Also Becks is supposedly taking over the Amerit brewery.

Yes, Interbrew is trying to bring Stella Artois into Thailand, and will set up a local brewery in order to evade the import taxes on foreign beers. The talks and plans are there I guess, but I have no idea when they will become reality.

Why do they call it the wife beater? Its just a (good) beer, and it makes us Belgians all happy and drunk...

Guess you UKers are just weird when mixed with alcohol :o

Last weeks rumour that i heard that Stell Artios is coming to Thailand.

Known in the UK as the wife beater.

Also Becks is supposedly taking over the Amerit brewery.

Yes, Interbrew is trying to bring Stella Artois into Thailand, and will set up a local brewery in order to evade the import taxes on foreign beers. The talks and plans are there I guess, but I have no idea when they will become reality.

Why do they call it the wife beater? Its just a (good) beer, and it makes us Belgians all happy and drunk...

Guess you UKers are just weird when mixed with alcohol :o

Nice to hear something makes Belgians happy :D

Why isn't anyone mentioning:

Singha tastes like crap.

:o ... good question. Guess because the statement is simply not true and/or crap is not part of all people's diet and hence they are not familiar with the taste. Everyone bares one's teeth. Only the individuals with a brown shade on their eating instruments qualify.

It probably gives you a hangover because it's got lots of methanol in it.

Close guess but if you cross off the "m" it'll be actually an undeniable bullseye and the statement gains tremendously in credibility.

Cheers,

Richard :D

Edited by Richard Hall

"Maybe it's the formaldehyde! ?? All I know is that stuff creates a WICKED hangover!! "

personally I find the hangover from Chang to be far worse.  Still haven't been pissed up on Red horse though, maybe I should try it just for the comparison...

'Why have you bought so much Beer?'

'It's a science project, honey'

Hangover's are hangover's :o

The local Carlsberg formula is quite different from Denmark.

Carlsberg...... ? Where...... ? :o

totster :D

I found a can of Carlsberg at the back of the Guiness today. One customer asked how old it was. It had on the bottom.............produced............wait for it.......................................................2006. I smell a porky.

I sure am glad I have no preference in beer--they all taste the same to me. The only thing I can't do is switch from one to the other in the same evening. If I do the "new" beer always tastes bad.

That said, Chang is still my favorite.

Why does everyone get so uptight about beer? :o

Singha is good beer, someone else doesn't like it fine, that doesn't make it crap.

Here in America these kind of agruements go on about everything from beer to coffee to rum, vodka etc: I just don't get it. The only thing we don't rate or argue about is tea, for which I am thankful, I love tea. :D

Singha is good beer, someone else doesn't like it fine, that doesn't make it crap.

Why anybody would want to pay more for Singha when there are better, cheaper alternatives such as Chang and Leo.. I don't know..? I can't work it out :D

Here in America these kind of agruements go on about everything from beer to coffee to rum, vodka etc:

Well everyone knows that American beer is crap..... no argument.. :o

totster :D

OK.......Who'd pay 300 baht for Archa when you can get water for 50

Will you please admit to the forum that you've never tasted Archa?

Anyway:

Heineken - not good beer: Bht 80.00

Singha - not good beer: Bht 75.00

Leo - not good beer: Bht 60.00

*Chang* - not good beer: Bht 55.00

Archa - not good beer: Bht 50.00

My case is rested.