Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

The only passing loops are at Hua Mark station - which is actually not really in Hua Mark, it's at the junction of Srinakarin and Pattanakarn Roads.

Yes, my mistake. The only station/point where Express trains can overtake City Line trains is at Hua Mark. Not sure how I got this confused, on six rides no less, with written notes. This can also be confirmed on Goggle Maps where the 4 tracks are clearly visible.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No complaints from me about the train, used it today. Parked up at the airport, onto the train, 30 mins to Phaya Thai, sky train to Sala Deang, business done then back the same way.

Beats the heck out of having to drive in Bangkok.

No complaints from me about the train, used it today. Parked up at the airport, onto the train, 30 mins to Phaya Thai, sky train to Sala Deang, business done then back the same way.

Beats the heck out of having to drive in Bangkok.

Don't suppose that's what it planned for but a good idea, well done.

Just give up. That thing is not going to be open any time within the next year at least.

hasn't time proved us inaccurate, for the better, this time. i nevertheless understand your frustration with all the delays and postponements over the years.

I rode the City Line a several more times in the past week, so a few follow-on observations.

- still no ticket machines at SARL/City Line Phaya Thai terminus station. Queue to pay 15 baht, then part of the ticket is taken by a guard before you head up to the platform.

- there are no down escalators at Phaya Thai so its the lift (one in the middle of the station) or stairs for those with bags.

- I noticed X-ray machines ready to be installed at the SARL Phaya Thai station so this might add another potential bottleneck?

- a lot people were struggling with big bags to get onto the BTS at Phaya Thai, difficult to get through the gate (use the one for wide loads) and then balancing all the bags on the up escalator, and then challenging to squeeze onto the often crowded train.

- at Phaya Thai the spur is not long enough for a switch (like on the BTS terminus stations, which allows in-bound trains to switch to the opposite track) so trains arriving switch to the north track, before entering the station and passengers alighting have to make their way through the throng waiting to board. I think the 'down' stairs are far to the left. (Not sure if they plan to use both platforms, but they'll have to direct passengers to the correct one if they end up doing this.)

- lots of people on the City Line with gigantic bags. Unless these are held they become 30 kg rolling projectiles. Definitely going to be some bruises.

- the gap between train and platform is dangerously wide, maybe 25 cm. Enough to lose a small child, and easy to catch the wheels on luggage. I think many people will sprain/break ankles, or worse here?

- Lat Krabang station is directly under the 19R approach so you get some great plane-spotting opportunities there, and as you make the banked turn into the airport station.

- the lines to buy tickets at the airport station looked quite long today, maybe 30 deep and slow moving. Perhaps automated ticketing machines will alleviate this wait?

- the SARL information screens are excellent, showing the departure and arrival times for the next trains.

Travelled on the City Line yesterday, just for fun, thought the train was pretty good though very crowded, took me 16 mins from Ramkhanhaeng Station, and at 15 Baht pretty good. The train was pretty crowded with plenty of people with luggage.

On the return journey I went to Makkasan, again very busy on the City Line with only one or two foreigners making their way to the Express Service. Makkasan was almost deserted, the escalators were not working though I think the elevators were. There were signs saying that if you had problems with taxis then call the number quoted, there were also signs advising that there was no taxi service fee from Makkasan, so I suspect the taxis are trying it on, the signs were pretty academic as there were no taxis anyway. The walk to the MRT was not straightforward, there were only handwritten signs, you have to walk to Asoke Road then cross the railway line, I would have thought that with luggage it would take a good 15 mins, and not very nice in the rain.

Are there taxis readily available at the Hua Mak and Ban Thaap Chang SARL City Line stations?

At Hua Mak today ( ~ 12:00 ) there were 4 taxis queued on the street level underneath the station on the Srinakarin Road side. They can make a u-turn and get to Srinakarin Road (heading south) quite easily; ~ 10 minutes and 65 baht to Seacon.

I'm still curious if there are taxis at Ban Thaap Chang, and in an even more detailed question, can they exit to the east and go down Chaloem Prakiat Rama 9, which looks to be a dirt road for the first 50 m or so.

I took the airport link again from the airport to Phaya Thai station, and will update some of my original comments (in blue).

The train cars give a fast, quiet ride, but the interior design is a bit "different". There are little partitions on either side of the doors (nothing unusual there), but the bench seats don't go all the way to the partition. There's a little gap, about wide enough for one person to stand. Why not extend the bench all the way to the partition to let that person sit? (This is not about the area were there is a large gap between the end of some seat benches and the partition ... those are probably for wheelchair parking, although there are no anchoring mechanisms there.)

[color: blue]Apparently different cars have different seat bench configurations, as this time (both directions) the benches came within about 4" of the partition by the door. But, again: why not bring the bench all the way to the partition to permit more seat room?[/color]

I was a little surprised to see the empty advertising placard holders. i.e. Not a bit of advertising yet. I'd think they could have charged advertisers even for the trail runs, no? I was more surprised to see no place for a route-map placard, unless they slap on a bumper sticker-type deal right above the doors. The area above the doors is not that large, and there is no placard holder there.[/indent]

[color:blue]Maybe I mis-remembered on my original ride, but this time there were NO placard holders above the seats -- an area that is prime for advertising. At least there are no little TVs like on BTS to annoy us all. And, they now *do* have route maps mounted above the doors.[/color]

The connector bridge from between the rail train Phaya Thai station and the BTS station looks like it might be done for Monday's opening, as long as the workers don't take the weekend off. :-)

[color: blue]As has been reported, the connector bridge is, in fact, complete and in operation.[/color]

And, boy is the train popular. Granted it currently is only operating at rush hour, but the 0745 train I took this morning would have made a Tokyo subway rush-hour commuter feel right at home. It'll be interesting to see if the loads (95% Thai) will hold up when the ride is no longer free.

[color:blue]I took a 1030am train towards Phaya Thai, and it was not nearly as crowded, but that may be due mostly to not being rush hour. However, on the return, I took a 530pm train from Phaya Thai, and it was very crowded. The 1030am train from the airport was about a 50/50 mix of tourists and locals. The 530pm train was 90% locals, and god bless the tourists who were crammed on the train with all their luggage![/color]

I've used the train Airport-to-Phaya Thai and return several times now. Two suggestions that I have not seen earlier in this thread:

(1) They should make markings on the floor of the train platforms in Phaya Thai station to indicate where the train doors will be. Right now, with no markings, it's a random mob of people rushing around once the train stops so they can see where the doors are. What I'm talking about is the more organized platform markings on the BTS Skytrain platforms.

(2) Ventilation on the Phaya Thai platforms is non existent. This past week when I was there, it wasn't even that hot outside, but on the platform the air was oppressive. Way too muggy. I can't imagine what it will be like in May during the hot season.

I've used the train Airport-to-Phaya Thai and return several times now. Two suggestions that I have not seen earlier in this thread:

(2) Ventilation on the Phaya Thai platforms is non existent. This past week when I was there, it wasn't even that hot outside, but on the platform the air was oppressive. Way too muggy. I can't imagine what it will be like in May during the hot season.

This is a good point and the problem exists not just Phaya Thai station but at all stations bar Makkasan terminal and Hua Mark which are larger and alow some air to circulate. For some reason no ventilation slots were built into the roof to allow rising hot air to escape. Thus obviously it just collects and heats up the whole stations. A 1st year science student could have thought about this but for some reason the architects, builders and SRT did not.

You can compare the two new BTS stations (S7 & S8) on the Silom Line which have been built with fully covered roof section at differing heights to cover the whole station (not once continuous roof - without vents) thus allowing air to circulate. All new BTS staions are being constructed like this

It would not take a huge amount of work or time to rectify this at each ARL station. I suspect that the SRT will undertake the work once either;

a) one of the SRT Board members starts sweating profusely in his suit whilst waiting on a platform during a promo trip.

b )an elderly passenger faints and dies on the platform from heat exhaustion!

Give the SRT a year or so. Just look how long it took the AOT to install more toilets at the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

Pax figures per station and revenue for the 1st month of operation available at, (thanks to Khun Wisarut on 2bangkok) show as expected that nearly everyone is taking the CityLine service.

I have caught the CityLine to/from the Airport twice this week and always notice just a few pax on the express. I also take the MRT daily and it seems plenty of people, with luggage, are also prepared to interchange with the MRT even without an easy link.

Total: 33,417 passenger a day with the revenue of 553,190 Baht a day

Airport City Line: Average: 32,806 passenger a day - Revenue 492,090 Baht a day

Phyathai station: 9,360 passengers a day - Revenue 140,400 Baht a day

Suvannabhum station: 6,319 passengers a day - Revenue 94,785 Baht a day

Ladkrabang station: 4,269 passengers a day - Revenue 64,035 Baht a day

Hua Mark station: 3,818 passengers a day - Revenue 57,270 Baht a day

Ram Khamhaeng station: 3,104 passengers a day - Revenue 46,560 Baht a day

Rajprarob station: 2,536 passengers a day - Revenue 38,040 Baht a day

Makkasan station: 2,374 passengers a day - Revenue 35,610 Baht a day

Ban Thub Chang station: 1,026 passengers a day - Revenue 15,390 Baht a day

Airport Express Line: Average: 611 passenger a day - Revenue 61,100 Baht a day

Makkasan station: 296 passengers a day - Revenue 29,600 Baht a day

Suvannabhum station: 315 passengers a day - Revenue 31,500 Baht a day

Airport Express Line: Average: 611 passenger a day - Revenue 61,100 Baht a day

Makkasan station: 296 passengers a day - Revenue 29,600 Baht a day

Suvannabhum station: 315 passengers a day - Revenue 31,500 Baht a day

Seeing as this is a non-stop service between those two stations, where are 19 passengers disappearing to between Suvannabhumi and Makkasan???

Sounds like they need to advertise it a bit better..

Perhaps but numbers will grow each month for the discount period until the end of the year as more people see the value of the service. There will be a significant drop in pax on the Cityline from 1 Jan when ful fares are introduced but I suspect that as next year progresses the numbers will steadily increase. For the Express, I imagine that pax will increase gradually during the high season (regardless of the full fare from 1 Jan) but the main increase will be once the check-in facilities come online at Makkasan (CAT) sometime in the new year. Still even after that, I somehow doubt that more than 1K a day will be using the Express in 6 months time.

^^^^^

Think about it!!!

296 passengers travelling to the airport on the Express and 315 travelling from the airport on the day the snapshot was taken.

I think you'll find it is an average for the month, not a snapshot but your correct to point out josephbloggs illogical misinterpretation.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any update on when the baggage check will open up at Makkasan?

Its a shame everything is taking so long, but construction is like that everywhere, even outside of Thailand, so no surprise, people in charge always love to tell the people what they want to hear, regardless of the reality.

I doubt it will be ready in time for me, next month, but that is the only way I would even be able to take this option, and it will hopefully make it a much more popular option when it does open up. Fortunately, I have a late flight, so a taxi no big deal, but I would love to be able to drop off my bags after checking out of hotel, and not have to hassle with them later when I go to the airport. This is one of the things I love in Hong Kong, you can check in and drop your bags at noon at the rail station, then stay in the city or go exploring for the rest of the day, ending up at the airport later on, without being worn out from hauling luggage around.

Anyone have any update on when the baggage check will open up at Makkasan?

Its a shame everything is taking so long, but construction is like that everywhere, even outside of Thailand, so no surprise, people in charge always love to tell the people what they want to hear, regardless of the reality.

I doubt it will be ready in time for me, next month, but that is the only way I would even be able to take this option, and it will hopefully make it a much more popular option when it does open up. Fortunately, I have a late flight, so a taxi no big deal, but I would love to be able to drop off my bags after checking out of hotel, and not have to hassle with them later when I go to the airport. This is one of the things I love in Hong Kong, you can check in and drop your bags at noon at the rail station, then stay in the city or go exploring for the rest of the day, ending up at the airport later on, without being worn out from hauling luggage around.

Check-in won't be open next month. You'll notice back in the thread that Dec and early next year are given as when check-in will start (sometime in the 1st quarter 2011 is more likely I suspect).

The delay is nothing to to with construction but is a procurement issue as the SRT didn't not order the baggage scanners in time. TG had said they will be contracted to provided the check in staff but I don't know if that has been finalised.

I also love HK city check-in but one cannot really compare the CAT at Makkasan to what exists in HK. - in 10-20 years time it will be surrounded by buildings & condos and the station will be a major terminal for the eastern lines but for now it is vast and empty.

Has anybody encountered this, or can explain the rationale behind this:

After arriving the airport by express line, and taking escalator on international flights side up to 1st floor, at that point, both escalators between 1st and 2nd floor, are going downwards, ie from 2nd to 1st floor only, instead of one line up and one line down. This is not the snake escalator but the normal escalators with two lines parallel to each other.

Then everybody going up to departures on 4th floor have to take the elevator next to escalators, and it's not a particularly big elevator either.

What gives? This has happened to me both times I've taken the express line to airport, about two weeks apart.

After arriving the airport by express line, and taking escalator on international flights side up to 1st floor, at that point, both escalators between 1st and 2nd floor, are going downwards, ie from 2nd to 1st floor only, instead of one line up and one line down. This is not the snake escalator but the normal escalators with two lines parallel to each other.

Then everybody going up to departures on 4th floor have to take the elevator next to escalators, and it's not a particularly big elevator either.

What gives? This has happened to me both times I've taken the express line to airport, about two weeks apart.

The AOT changed the arrivals area around 18 months ago and delineated a arriving pax only space to keep out touts, to improve crowd control/flows & improve security management. Thus, all escalators and lifts are barred from allowing people to exit at the arrival floor (2nd) within the designated area. You can only enter if you have a same day arrival stamp.

Coming from either the 1st of 3rd floors your barred from using all the escalators (3 I think?) which are in the 2nd floor designated area. Obviously, you can exit from the 2nd down or up. Sort of sucks if you don't know but it has made arriving much easier with less hassle.

The AOT changed the arrivals area around 18 months ago and delineated a arriving pax only space to keep out touts, to improve crowd control/flows & improve security management. Thus, all escalators and lifts are barred from allowing people to exit at the arrival floor (2nd) within the designated area. You can only enter if you have a same day arrival stamp.

Coming from either the 1st of 3rd floors your barred from using all the escalators (3 I think?) which are in the 2nd floor designated area. Obviously, you can exit from the 2nd down or up. Sort of sucks if you don't know but it has made arriving much easier with less hassle.

Brilliant when you need to catch a domestic flight arriving from the rest of the world.

Thai logic at work :whistling:

You really expect all of this to be totally coordinated?

The airport was built to a 30 - 35 years old design and construction was started with little to no attempt to upgrade many aspects of the original design to incorporate the many valuable lessons learned from old and new airports and fully up to date new technology. Just one example, would any other country actually build an airport, today, which required passengers to walk nearly 500 metres?

Why was it started so quickly, using an old design? One guess needed.

Just one example, would any other country actually build an airport, today, which required passengers to walk nearly 500 metres?

Toronto's Pearson Airport - Terminal 1 - opened around the same time as Suvarnabhumi.

We live in a developing country and still the transportation system is better than Canada's. I think those of you who expect Thailand to be perfect should grab a reality check by taking a wander through the abject poverty that exists in parts of Thailand and realise how dam_n good you have it. This isn't a developed country and it's far from perfect but it certainly isn't as bad as some of you seem to think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

The link sure was busy and OK to do with a suitcase if you are going to the airport, but I wouldn't recommend using it going to Bangkok with a suitcase. Seems it is just as the MRT, escalators going up only. Hope that is better at Makkasan station, but wouldn't count on it. Perhaps they think only backpackers will use it.

The link sure was busy and OK to do with a suitcase if you are going to the airport, but I wouldn't recommend using it going to Bangkok with a suitcase. Seems it is just as the MRT, escalators going up only. Hope that is better at Makkasan station, but wouldn't count on it. Perhaps they think only backpackers will use it.

I think you mean the BTS not the MRT which has escalators going up and down at all stations. If you peruse the thread earlier you'll note a number of comments regarding the escaltor issue for arriving pax.

If you have large baggage, I would take the Express which is a breeze and plenty of seats than battle the crowds on the Cityline. Makkasan does have down escalators and two lifts on the Express arrival platform. Not so good on the Cityline platform. Give it 2-3 years and the situation will improve. (as I stated before the BTS has twice the number of escalators now than it did when it opened in 99).

• 2 weeks later...

I have caught the CityLine to/from the Airport twice this week and always notice just a few pax on the express. I also take the MRT daily and it seems plenty of people, with luggage, are also prepared to interchange with the MRT even without an easy link.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And still with absolutely no signage on the MRT system itself (except for an amateurish little sign as you get to the surface at Petchaburi MRT station) that an airport link exists. It's now mid November and the thing must have been running 4 months. Come on MRT get your ar$e in gear!

I have done that interchange with a full complement of roller luggage. Reasonably easy 10 minutes if you know where you are going. Exit 3 at Petchaburi MRT station, double back on yourself leftwise at the surface - where that little sign still hopefully is - and you can't miss the monstrosity of Makkasan.

My favoured route to/from lower Sukhumvit, having tried them all is taxi to/from Makkasan (50-70 baht) plus City Line (15 baht). Easy for normal luggage complements. You might have to wait for a taxi for 5 minutes at Makkasan. Actually Rachatewi would be a cheaper place to get off and hail a taxi but I could see only steps coming down from that station.

Cheaper Charlies head for Payathai and transfer to the BTS - that's straightforward too.

The only reason for using the Express in preference to City Line is if you are travelling from Makkasan and must have a seat and its 4pm to 7pm. Oh the other reason you might want to use the Express is to avoid the Thai glares that say "tourist, why don't you use the tourist Express and leave this commuter line to us commuters". I have some sympathy but they should blame the fare designers not me.

Archived