• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SRT figures on average pax numbers reported in Thairath a few weeks ago;

Express-

June: 1,586 passengers a day

July: 1,932 passengers a day

August: 2,370 passengers a day

August Airport City Line daily is between 40-42K with a max of 42,475 passengers on 11 August 2011.

• 3 weeks later...

Went with the Airport Rail Link Express today, 90 tbh! cheap!

I went on the City Line on Friday whizzing past all the cars gridlocked on Rama IX, cost us 30 Baht each as we don't go all the way.

I remember the first time I went all the way. I think I was 17. Late bloomer.

Could some one tell me if the skytrain to Suvarnabhumi airport is running during the floods ?

Also, Im traveling from the airport to Hualumpong Train station, how is the flood situation in the station area.

Many thanks.

Yes the SRT ARL is running as normal to and from the airport. (Refer earlier for website)

This would only change in the unlikely event that the depot floods, power is lost or perhaps the airport station is flooded in which case you probably would not land as it would most likely mean the runways have flooded too.

Hualumpong is also good but no northern trains depending on where you want to go you should check at the Airport station with the SRT staff as this could change at any time (ie. all train services could be suspended if tracks are flooded). Also, check the SRT site for updates; http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=956

Depending on where you intending to go a bus or van may be a better option.

• 3 months later...

Seems like a PT puff piece but I can't see it happening that soon. Off-peak fares on the Cityline would be a good idea to reduce overcrowded services but more particularly for the MRT and BTS.

At least the timetables for the Cityline have been improved to increase frequency to 12 mins during the peak periods.

20-baht subway fare to be tested, 02/02/2012

The Transport Ministry will trial a 20-baht flat fare for subway and Airport Link rail services during the non-rush hours to draw more commuters. Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan has agreed with the pilot plan which coalition leader PT party promised at last years election. No date was given for when the pilot would begin.

Figures show the number of passengers during the non-rush hours is small compared with the morning and evening. The ministry will review whether the new rate is feasible after a one month trial. "we will carry out the 20-baht policy as promised, but it's better to test it first", Mr Jarupong said. If the trial succeeds in boosting passengers numbers, it plans to introduce the fare permanently once the construction of all 10 subway lines in Bangkok is completed from 2015-2019.

Passengers on the Hua Lamphong-Bang Sue line now pay 15 baht to 40 baht. The airport line service which connects Phaya Thai and Suvarnabhumi airport, charges 15 baht to 45 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

SRT says that now over 50K pax a day which is a 20% increase from 6 months ago. Figures given on Feb 10 are:

Cityline 46 787 Express 3 782

The SRT is also going to order 2 more trains this year for delivery by 2014. However, ideally 5 more sets are needed to reduce Cityline headway times down to 7-10 mins.

Expect an explosion in pax numbers when that happens.

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted on TV in a while but just to advise that news from last month was that the SRT had allocated 17m baht to finally reconfigure the Express rail line (which currently does not extend east beyond Makkasan) and the City Line to link the two lines on the east side of Makkasan.

This will allow Express trains to stop at both Phayathai and Makkasan as one service rather than the current stupid arrangement of two separate Express services to two destinations.

the SRT had allocated 17m baht to finally reconfigure the Express rail line

Any idea on the timeline for this reconfiguration?

Apparently, 4 months from whenever work will start. However, there are a number of projects and improvements to the ARL that are running behind schedule in the usual delayed Bangkok public transport & SRT construction timelines.

These are the extra escalators at 6 stations and the much needed ARL to MRT pedestrian link at the CAT (originally die to be completed by June 2012)

Of greater immediate concern is that the spare parts issue has arisen again - this time in respect of disk brakes and wheel bearings - with the SRT-ET seemingly not keeping enough inventory and not liaising with Siemens in due time ie. not ordering months ago. This means that 3 trains are currently out of service (2 Cityline & 1 Express) out of the total rolling stock of 9 (5 Cityline and 4 Express), ie. 1/3 of the rolling stock. The Siemens 2 year warranty of the current 9 sets recently expired and the SRT is seeking to renew the warranty by another 2 years.

As previously mentioned, the SRT has been given funds to purchase two more sets of rolling stock by 2014 to help with maintenance of rolling stock but ideally it needs 7 more sets in total to implement a more frequent headway. SRT is going request funds for the extra 5 sets but it needs to sort of a number of issues first.

There has been much discussion in the thai language press in recent days regarding the overall culture of SRT management, operational issues and staffing problems of the ARL.

See, http://www.prachachat.net/news_detail.php?newsid=1336364279&grpid=00&catid=&subcatid= & http://www.manager.co.th/Business/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9550000056563

Pax numbers are still around 3500-3800 a day for the Express and 46K-48K a day for the Cityline. (March figures)

Of greater immediate concern is that the spare parts issue has arisen again - this time in respect of disk brakes and wheel bearings - with the SRT-ET seemingly not keeping enough inventory and not liaising with Siemens in due time ie. not ordering months ago. This means that 3 trains are currently out of service (2 Cityline & 1 Express) out of the total rolling stock of 9 (5 Cityline and 4 Express), ie. 1/3 of the rolling stock. The Siemens 2 year warranty of the current 9 sets recently expired and the SRT is seeking to renew the warranty by another 2 years.

As previously mentioned, the SRT has been given funds to purchase two more sets of rolling stock by 2014 to help with maintenance of rolling stock but ideally it needs 7 more sets in total to implement a more frequent headway. SRT is going request funds for the extra 5 sets but it needs to sort of a number of issues first.

There has been much discussion in the thai language press in recent days regarding the overall culture of SRT management, operational issues and staffing problems of the ARL.

See, http://www.prachacha...atid=&subcatid= & http://www.manager.c...D=9550000056563

Pax numbers are still around 3500-3800 a day for the Express and 46K-48K a day for the Cityline. (March figures)

It is only a matter of time before a major accident happens on the ARL.

The track was built by some shoddy Chinese contractor which has long left Thailand, and SRT has no money to do the necessary maintenance on the track and the rolling stock.

I have never used it, because it is not convenient for me, and most probably never will .

As mentioned previously, the SRT had sought funds to purchase 7 new sets of rolling stock. Well things move quickly when a 2nd airport is in the mix, Cabinet met of Tuesday and approved 4.2 billion for the SRT to purchase 7 four car sets to be delivered by 2014.

Let's just hope the SRT can actually order the new rolling stock in a timely manner.

See, http://www.prachacha...atid=&subcatid= & http://www.manager.c...D=9550000056563

It is only a matter of time before a major accident happens on the ARL.

The track was built by some shoddy Chinese contractor which has long left Thailand, and SRT has no money to do the necessary maintenance on the track and the rolling stock.

I have never used it, because it is not convenient for me, and most probably never will.

Mark my words

• 2 weeks later...

The Express service will not be running this weekend. Cityline still operating

Weird, I wonder what prompted that? I didn't see any signs at the airport and I took the Express Line to Makkasan at about 19:00 Saturday night (sometime around then, I forget exactly). There were a bunch of signs at Makkasan about the illegal taxis, so I avoided an unexpected beatdown ^__^

As an added update, the SRT has just rebid the pedestrian link to be built from Makkasan CAT to Petchaburi MRT station for 87m. The previous contractor and design was withdrawn due to some problems with the design. Contract to be signed by Dec with the link completed by June 2012.

Just caught this, scanning backward through the thread. The extension still consists of walking out of the SRT station, down across the railroad tracks, across the street (in the rain tonight) and down the sidewalk to the MRT, unfortunately.

For all the really poor initial planning with respect to how actual human beings would move through such a networked public transit system, I do appreciate the Airport Link and use it almost monthly to get to and from the airport. I live near the river in Nonthaburi, meaning that Bang Sue->Makkasan->Airport is about as convenient as anything (largely because it can be tough to get taxis to agree to go to the airport from here during peak traffic). Adds about 20-30 minutes on top of taxi time if I time the connections right, more if I don't. The only issue I've ever faced that was irritating was the Makkasan Express train simply not showing up one time - none of the attendants could explain what had happened. Timer counted down to 0 minutes, no train, we had to wait a full term for the next train. Nearly missed my flight. Still, that was a weird anomaly, I'm sure.

The Express service will not be running this weekend. Cityline still operating

Weird, I wonder what prompted that? I didn't see any signs at the airport and I took the Express Line to Makkasan at about 19:00 Saturday night (sometime around then, I forget exactly). There were a bunch of signs at Makkasan about the illegal taxis, so I avoided an unexpected beatdown ^__^

Seems the SRTET still ran the Express then.

As an added update, the SRT has just rebid the pedestrian link to be built from Makkasan CAT to Petchaburi MRT station for 87m. The previous contractor and design was withdrawn due to some problems with the design. Contract to be signed by Dec with the link completed by June 2012.

Just caught this, scanning backward through the thread. The extension still consists of walking out of the SRT station, down across the railroad tracks, across the street (in the rain tonight) and down the sidewalk to the MRT, unfortunately.

The pedestrian link has not started to be constructed yet so you are just describing what has been since the Airport Link opened. Hopefully soon but no solid news recently....

Travelled on the express line on 13/06. I am not sure if it has been covered in this topic but there are 2 express services from Airport to City and return. One is Airport to Makkasan and the other is Airpoirt to Phaya Thai. They go direct to that station. I have now used both services.

Travelled on the express line on 13/06. I am not sure if it has been covered in this topic but there are 2 express services from Airport to City and return. One is Airport to Makkasan and the other is Airpoirt to Phaya Thai. They go direct to that station. I have now used both services.

You can find the timetables here: http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/th/index.html

There is a plan to have a single Express train from the Airport which will stop at the CAT at Makkasan and terminate at Phaya Thai, and from Phaya Thai to the airport stopping at Makkasan, This requires some track reconfiguration/construction, not sure when this might be implemented.

In a separate development I did see this: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255506150020

Airport Link´s Makkasan Express Line temporarily halts services

BANGKOK, 15 June 2012 (NNT) - The Airport Link operator has confirmed that the City Line has resumed operation after the service was suspended this morning, due to malfunction of the Express Line’s system.

The Makkasan Express service continued to be halted until further notice. Commuters are advised to switch to the City Line temporarily.

The State Railway Of Thailand Electrical Train (SRTET) has released a statement saying that the City Line and the Phayathai Express services on the Express Line are operating as norma, while the Makkasan Express Line and Thai Airways’ check-in counters at Makkasan station will remain closed for the time being.

Passengers can call the Airport Link hotline at 1690 or visit www.facebook.com/PR.ARL or www.twitter.com/ARL_SRTET for updated information on the Airport Link’s services.

That Makkasan station is a right pain in having to walk around the corner to connect to the subway WPFflags.gif

I would say as a word of warning if you're going from town back to the airport to catch a flight be wary that a lot of people use the Airport Link to get to the stations like Hua Mak or Lat Krabang. I was in a bit of traffic but thought I had loads of time ... got on the platform only to find myself at the back of a long queue. Couldn't get on and had to wait for the next train.

Only 15 minutes and was no problem but kind of took me by surprise, no idea why that didn't cross my mind but someone with less time may get caught out

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of scheduling problems in the last few weeks with rolling stock down due to a lack of the Chinese made Siemens supplied spare parts (various issues) leading to 3 trains being off line at times (remember only 9 in total , 4 Express & 5 Cityline). This means that sometimes schedules blow out and people have to wait a couple of trains due to packed trains.

Seems a little better now but making Cityline pax grumpy.

May ave. daily pax ridership-

Cityline: 36, 644 (Highest 52, 278 on 25 May, Lady Gaga concert)

Express: 2416

Source: http://www.posttoday...bdquo;น

I find the figure for the Express very difficult to believe. I use the Cityline often and rarely see even a couple of dozen people on the Express and usually see only around 10 or so. Sometimes there are literally 2 or 3 people using it.

And from time to time I even see the train pull and NOBODY gets out.

Took the City Line from Phayathai to the Airport and back Wednesday mid-afternoon.

The City Line trains in and back were both pretty full, with lots of people standing. Just a rough guesstimate, I'd say there were many more passengers getting on and off the train at intermediate stations than people actually making the full trek to/from the airport.

Saw the Express Line train waiting at Phayathai while I was there, and it looked pretty empty.

En route, the Makkasan Station looked totally empty going both ways.

The passenger queues at Phayathai reminded me what a mess the designers made of train and exit ingress and egress there. The lines of people waiting to get onto the train went all the way from the train edge to the back wall of the terminal (a relatively narrow distance), and made it difficult for people getting off the train to make the right or left turns to head for the exits... Which unfortunately seem to be at the far ends of the terminal, meaning exiting passengers had to fight their way past all the various lines of people waiting to get on. Pretty much a complete mess.

Lastly, I noticed the current fare to the Airport on the City Line is 45 baht per person. The last time I'd used the ARL they still had the promotional fare rates in place. Here's a photo of the full fare roster for the various stations on the City Line from Phayathai.

post-58284-0-39910700-1342185816_thumb.j

I find the figure for the Express very difficult to believe. I use the Cityline often and rarely see even a couple of dozen people on the Express and usually see only around 10 or so. Sometimes there are literally 2 or 3 people using it.

I think the numbers are good, there is no real need to inflate the figures as they have actually dropped a little from late last year when they where just under 3K. I also often see around 10-15 pax off peak but at peak it is not uncommon to see twice that number (20-30) and a bit heavier during morning/afternoon peaks. Some trains are nearly empty, agreed. There are 76 Express trains per day between the airport and PT and 54 between the airport and the CAT which means a total of 130 Express trains

The significant change, as it was always going to be was the price change. This, along with providing the PT option, boosted numbers almost immediately from 700 a day to over 2000+. They kept rising thereafter.

This Thairath article from last week says the numbers are around 3K (42K-47K for Cityline) which is about right but are not specific figures that the SRT normally gives. It also says that the Makkasan CAT to Phetchburi MRT viaduct is being fast tracked but then we have heard that before........whistling.gif

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/eco/275175

I think the numbers are good, there is no real need to inflate the figures as they have actually dropped a little from late last year when they where just under 3K. I also often see around 10-15 pax off peak but at peak it is not uncommon to see twice that number (20-30) and a bit heavier during morning/afternoon peaks. Some trains are nearly empty, agreed. There are 76 Express trains per day between the airport and PT and 54 between the airport and the CAT which means a total of 130 Express trains

The significant change, as it was always going to be was the price change. This, along with providing the PT option, boosted numbers almost immediately from 700 a day to over 2000+. They kept rising thereafter.

This Thairath article from last week says the numbers are around 3K (42K-47K for Cityline) which is about right but are not specific figures that the SRT normally gives. It also says that the Makkasan CAT to Phetchburi MRT viaduct is being fast tracked but then we have heard that before........whistling.gif

http://www.thairath....tent/eco/275175

Are they still running whole 6+ car trains? They could run shorter trains and use the extra rolling stock on the City line..

http://www.thairath....tent/eco/275175

Are they still running whole 6+ car trains? They could run shorter trains and use the extra rolling stock on the City line..

They've never run 6+ car trains as far as I know. The Express runs four cars - three for passengers and one for checked baggage (so maybe one or two pieces of luggage in there). I believe the stations are designed for eight-car trains and I saw some of these during the test period but never since. The City line runs three car trains.

Recently they've occasionally been using Express trains as City trains to ease congestion.

They've never run 6+ car trains as far as I know. The Express runs four cars - three for passengers and one for checked baggage (so maybe one or two pieces of luggage in there). I believe the stations are designed for eight-car trains and I saw some of these during the test period but never since. The City line runs three car trains.

Recently they've occasionally been using Express trains as City trains to ease congestion.

Thanks, I must have imagined that the trains were longer...!

Archived