Thaksin - Will Interpol Act?

webfact

The problem with the whole extradition process is that Thailand has the death penalty. And they already spoke about the death penalty against the red shirt leaders. So, assuming Thaksin is the man directing the red shirt leaders, as it is being said, he would obviously also be eligible for the death penalty. See, that's where the problem lies. Very few countries in the world will extradite someone if he faces the death penalty. And Thaksin has visited none of the countries that do.

The whole extradition story is a lot of smoke blowing, but both sides already know that it will lead to nothing.

If they didn't want him to leave, they should have arrested him when he was in Thailand. After all, the coup generals were in control back then.

As i mentioned in early reply , it is even not enough that they should promise not to deal with the death penalty in his case , they should have to legally remove the death penalty from Thailand by law changing.... i do not see them be willingly to do so... i thought the PM did study in the U.K. :)

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No suprise really. Only a few working braincells are needed to realise the arrest warrant is political.

Even inanimate objects know that Thaksin was funding and leading the reds.

Do you have proof ? Didn't think so.

The fact that Thaksin has been charged means that the government must have plenty of evidence.

Yess verry true and labeleD ..... Made in Thailand ...copyright .....

Quite likely the government does have plenty of evidence, do you expect them to publish it on the front page of the Bangkok Post?

It will be interesting to see what turns up in the money trail. Thaksin has been busted for financial shenanigans several times (having servants hold assets for him, the Shincorp/Temasek scandal, his lawyer bribing court officials etc etc). Perhaps he's learned to cover his tracks a bit better now (with assistance from his war crime lawyers), but I doubt that his red leader employees will have.

Quite likely the government does have plenty of evidence, do you expect them to publish it on the front page of the Bangkok Post?

Do you expect a country to extradite Thaksin back to Thailand on terrorist charges based solely on hearsay evidence?

If they have something they will need to disclose it. So far, nothing.

It's a shame that interpol and other foreign governments have ignored requests to extradite Thaksin and have even aided his fugitive lifestyle. Countries like France and Montenegro that knowingly allow Thaksin on their soil are no better than Afghanistan and are harboring a terrorist leader. Thaksin has the right to defend himself in court and respond to the evidence against him and interpol ought to help him do that.

Get real, just because Thailand calls him a terrorist that does not mean he is one, no charges have even actually been laid against him yet for this. Also in other countries (where they actually have a judiciary that is not controlled by the government) they will consider the evidence, they will then see this as politically motivated and just dismiss it out of hand, just like they do with every request kasit has ever made.

In the grand scheme of things Thailand means sod all to the world at large and any ammount of whinging, crying or threats from Thailand will quite rightly be laughed off. This will go nowhere, he will continue his jaunts, next election is party will win, they will gain control of the judiciary and Thaksin will be back.

Oh and as for the requests to extradite him, it takes more than some somchai sitting in an embassy somewhere to call his counterpart and ask that they extradite him (as happened in Sweden), it takes the correct papers, it takes hearings in that country to see if there is evidence, and most importantly if there is a chance of him getting the death penalty he will stay where he is, and since Thailand has already said this allegation (not charge as he has not been charged) carries the death penalty I doubt any country with extradite him.

Thailand needs to realise that the rest of the world does not operate like a kindergarten wwhere people can be bullied into doing things or saying things.

Good post. Your last sentence sums it up well. Interpol is well aware how the Thai justice system works as are the wstern embassies but feathers must not be ruffled.

caf

While we have all focused on Thaskin and others, does anybody remember some post 3 weeks ago, just as thing were really heating up, where her nibs....Pojaman, and her spawn, cleaned out the bank accounts of some 800,000,000b and left the country.

Now she was always the deal maker in the background when Thanskin was in power, and in court filing opposing the confiscation of the money from him made claims it was 80% her money....

Where is that group now? Was she named with the 100 or so people for financial transactions befitting the red shirts?

She should not be ignored, nor her children. None of them are especially nice people.

Poor kissdani --- how many times did he mention me in one post. (Assueing I'd be asleep maybe?)

''All I have on me is a small pistol and a stick ... If anyone comes to arrest me, I can assure you I'll shoot and fight to the end ... Soldiers are on to me. There are snipers out there. But they'll never get me,'' Maj Gen Khattiya said.

http://bangkoklibrary.com/news/434-gen-seh...-itn-world-news

Other reports are "The army will never get in here.

And no --- you don't have to do anything with Sae Daeng's stateents that contradict a confession. The confession stands as evidence even when statements are made that also deny it. (Note that when Sae Daeng denies violence he laughs --- when he makes statements about the grenade attacks he says "nobody saw me"

BTW --- Sae Dang's final worgs have been translated 3 different ways.

They'll never get me in here."

They'll never get in here"

It will take at least 3 divisions to get in here (said at the sae time that they stated they would commit guerilla warfare that the army wasn't trained for

and yes -- you WILL have to google some because not all sources can be cited on TVF.

For the leagle Beagles --- a public admission of guilt (or public statements that state ~the Rally won't end until Thaksin says it ends~ will be used in trials --- the defense can introduce statements made to the public that contradict those statements but contradictory statements do not need to be included in a warrant :) (One is a statement against self-interest and carries more weight that ather statements)

Since much of the source material is from the BP or AP --- it does require people to do theit own research. Much of the information is available here on TVF but at 0200 I am not going to be doing the legwork that someone in the Eu can be doing at 2200 :D

For those thinking that other countries won't react to the warrant --- they need to do a bit more research on the strategic interests of other countries in Thailand :D

Thai Government: ' we don't need any help from other countries, this is an internal matter and we are in control'

Thai Government: 'these foreign countries are doing nothing to help us, why don't they send Thaksin back boo hoo wah wah wah'

complete joke

Interpol will not act. How long has it been? Interpol is swift when it comes to people like Joran van der Sloot. There is no warrant for Thaksin.

Interpol did not act in the past because he was wanted for political reason.

Interpol WILL act now because he is wanted for criminal reason.

See the difference?

Someone asked me to post more from the Sae Daeng claims .....

Maj Gen Khattiya sits down for a meal in Siam Square about three hours before he was shot in the head and left in critical condition near Sala Daeng intersection last night. KITJA APHICHONROJAREK

Later in the day, about 7.30pm, Maj Gen Khattiya, better known as Seh Daeng, was shot in the head near the Sala Daeng red shirt rally site. He was inspecting security barriers and giving an interview to a group of foreign reporters at the time.

''All I have on me is a small pistol and a stick ... If anyone comes to arrest me, I can assure you I'll shoot and fight to the end ... Soldiers are on to me. There are snipers out there. But they'll never get me,'' Maj Gen Khattiya said.

Just a few hours before he was shot from http://bangkoklibrary.com/news/434-gen-seh...-itn-world-news The original source of the interview is listed in the story

Interpol will not act. How long has it been? Interpol is swift when it comes to people like Joran van der Sloot. There is no warrant for Thaksin.

:) The two countries in question with VanDerSloot use the same language etc ... plus have diplomatic ties that are strong. I was unaware that Interpol was actually involved in either the tracking or apprehension of the suspect. (Neither here nor there --- quite a different situation )

Does Thailand actually want Thaksin back? Or does Thailand want to curtail Thaksin's movements and ability to incite terrorism?

Do you expect a country to extradite Thaksin back to Thailand on terrorist charges based solely on hearsay evidence?

If they have something they will need to disclose it. So far, nothing.

Please tell us all exactly what is in the warrant that has been sent to other countries (and hopefully to Interpol soon :)

Your idea that they need to disclose the eviidence to YOU (or (US) or that it is "solely based on hearsay" certainly warrants you giving us proof of what is in the warrant :D

The government will hunt Thaksin down and do to him the exact same thing they did with Sae Dang, its only a matter of time. I'm not usually the one to support clampdowns on media and brutal crackdowns but in this case, Abhisit is doing a fine job to bring this country back on the path of reconcilliation by using the tough approach.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on Interpol response to Thailand?

Or any reliable reports that thailand has even submitted the case to interpol?

Thye leave me hanging and then its off to pedophiles in Pattaya and Tuk Tuks in patong. Would be nice if the Thai press, AKA The Nation actually followed these stopries up :angry:

Any updates on Interpol response to Thailand?

Or any reliable reports that thailand has even submitted the case to interpol?

Thye leave me hanging and then its off to pedophiles in Pattaya and Tuk Tuks in patong. Would be nice if the Thai press, AKA The Nation actually followed these stopries up :angry:

Or how fun spoiling nice it would be if the Thai press AKA The Nation explains that "will Interpol act?" is a silly question and the only answer is a 'NO.', everything else is nothing more than wishful thinking, a dream, an illusion that will never become true. Then you would not have to waste your time with the wait of any updates or spending energy in false hopes.

Look it took the government officials over one year to admit that they failed in all previous attempts to have Pol. Lt-Col. Thaksin placed on Interpol's wanted list and that Interpol rejected the demands because Interpol consider it to be politically motivated. Do you think this time they will be anyhow faster?

Anyway, nothing wrong with bumping up this topic from time to time. always good for a laugh.

edit: Thaksin's Royal Thai Police rank of lieutenant colonel added to his name. For teh lulz!

Edited by mazeltov