Chiang Mai University Thai Language Program

Genericnic

I'll be relocating to Chiang Mai in mid-February 2011 and want to start learning Thai. Does anyone have any current (or past) experience with the Thai program offered by Chiang Mai University?

Thanks

David

I don't have experience with it, but it looks dishonest to me.  Seems to be designed to offer the opportunity for an educational visa for the maximum cost with the minimum amount of classroom time.   It's only 4 hours per week.  You pay for the entire one year course ahead of time.  Compare with Payap University that offers a 20 hour per week course that you pay for one course at a time.

Chiang Mai University is great, yes you do pay up front and get a 1Year ed-visa.

There are people who just want the visa but they soon drop off and the classes are left with a core group of 6-8 students who are there to learn. Thai language is not easy and requires a lot of homework, but it is definetly worth it.

Good luck.

I don't have experience with it, but it looks dishonest to me.  Seems to be designed to offer the opportunity for an educational visa for the maximum cost with the minimum amount of classroom time.   It's only 4 hours per week.  You pay for the entire one year course ahead of time.  Compare with Payap University that offers a 20 hour per week course that you pay for one course at a time.

Thanks for the reply Capt.

I had not looked at Payap before but have done so and it looks like it might be interesting. The intense program might be more useful since I am planning on living in Thailand long-term. I'll definitely be giving it some more thought.

David

I have heard bad reports about The CM language course.

I am told it is pretty much a Ed-visa scam.

Someone who went on the course said once the teachers realise the students are only there for the Visa .... they give up teaching, don't turn up to lessons, etc.

They felt they had wasted their money ........ give Payap a try.

I can't speak for CMU although like others here I've not heard good things. I have however done a few modules at Payap. If you are serious about learning Thai rather than just getting the visa, this is the place to go. It is called 'Intensive' Thai - with good reason, so be prepared to work hard. The tutors are great, and you can pay module by module. If you fancy a break you can pick it up again a few months later, as I plan to do, as the modules are re run every 2 or 3 months.

I can't speak for CMU although like others here I've not heard good things. I have however done a few modules at Payap. If you are serious about learning Thai rather than just getting the visa, this is the place to go. It is called 'Intensive' Thai - with good reason, so be prepared to work hard. The tutors are great, and you can pay module by module. If you fancy a break you can pick it up again a few months later, as I plan to do, as the modules are re run every 2 or 3 months.

Thanks for the information Jez. I will most likely be coming on a retirement visa since I am planning on staying in Thailand. I think the intensive style of learning along with hanging out in the general population will speed up my assimilation. I can't imagine living in a country and not learning the language. Being able to take a break after every module or two will also give me time to travel and take pictures.

David

Thanks for the information Jez. I will most likely be coming on a retirement visa since I am planning on staying in Thailand. I think the intensive style of learning along with hanging out in the general population will speed up my assimilation. I can't imagine living in a country and not learning the language. Being able to take a break after every module or two will also give me time to travel and take pictures.

David

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

Edited by CaptHaddock

I studied at CMU and did all the short courses they had to offer there. I cannot comment on the year course as i didnt speak to anyone who was on it.

I came here to learn Thai and was so happy i signed up with CMU, the 2 teachers there (Aom & Sompop) are an amazing team. Aom teachers beginners 1, and Sompop teaches beginners 2. Their lesson plans are well thought out and are very entertaining. They are very tone orientated and will always aim to correct you (something other courses i have been on don't seem to care too much when i conversate with the teachers).

The courses are intense at 3 hours a day, mon-fri, but are well worth it. I would definately reccommend it and i was sad they didnt offer anything further!

Like i stated before i have no idea about the year course, but the short courses are excellent.

I studied at CMU and did all the short courses they had to offer there. I cannot comment on the year course as i didnt speak to anyone who was on it.

I came here to learn Thai and was so happy i signed up with CMU, the 2 teachers there (Aom & Sompop) are an amazing team. Aom teachers beginners 1, and Sompop teaches beginners 2. Their lesson plans are well thought out and are very entertaining. They are very tone orientated and will always aim to correct you (something other courses i have been on don't seem to care too much when i conversate with the teachers).

The courses are intense at 3 hours a day, mon-fri, but are well worth it. I would definately reccommend it and i was sad they didnt offer anything further!

Like i stated before i have no idea about the year course, but the short courses are excellent.

INITIAL POST: I had not seen an intensive program at CMU so I went to the website to look. I did not see anything listed there. Do you have a link to it by chance?

EDIT: I found a page showing the CMU Thai intensive courses you mentioned. From what I read, it seems that there is minimal to no focus on learning to read or write Thai? Is that correct?

Payap U's program is split each day with 1.5 hours devoted to listening/speaking and a second 1.5 hours devoted to reading/writing. If my understanding of the curriculum at CMU is correct, Payap is getting closer to my choice. I think reading and writing are important for long term stays.

Thanks

Edited by Genericnic

Its funny you mention that after the second course finished they set up a course similar to Payaps, in that they taught speaking for 1.5 hours, then switch to reading and writing for the second half of the lesson.

I was really interested to start reading and writing, as well as continue speaking, however it proved too much for the lesson...The problem was that reading and writing will take up so much of your daily practice time, you are left confused after most lessons! It was quite sad actually as it left most of the class wanting to learn to read and write only, and wanted to leave the class. They ended up replacing the teacher with Aom who taught the first speaking class.

In the end we did a 45 hour course in reading and writing and by the end of it could pretty much read most words, and begin to write a lot as well!

If i had to do it all again i would get the Benjawan Poomsan Becker 'Beginner Thai' book to learn the reading and writing part, then take the short course in speaking at CMU as their course books have thai script as well.

Best of luck with the learning! I'm on the final reading and writing course (level 3) at Y.M.C.A and wish i was back at CMU! They told me they are starting a reading and writing course in the evening so might be worth giving them a shout to see if they have started it yet.

http://www.li.chiangmai.ac.th/thai/thai.html

Well i have only been at the Y for a few lessons and it's okay..........The teacher just comes in and gets straight on with it. I was speaking to a guy who is taking the first reading and writing course and he told me that they had ALL of the vowels and consenants on the board after lesson 2! Why new students are being taught ฏ ฐ ฎ ฅ ill never know!

The Y is pretty cheap and not too bad to be fair i just wish they would correct my tones more often! I purposely pronounce things in-correctly sometimes to see if they pick up on it, and they don't!

Its funny you mention that after the second course finished they set up a course similar to Payaps, in that they taught speaking for 1.5 hours, then switch to reading and writing for the second half of the lesson.

I was really interested to start reading and writing, as well as continue speaking, however it proved too much for the lesson...The problem was that reading and writing will take up so much of your daily practice time, you are left confused after most lessons! It was quite sad actually as it left most of the class wanting to learn to read and write only, and wanted to leave the class. They ended up replacing the teacher with Aom who taught the first speaking class.

In the end we did a 45 hour course in reading and writing and by the end of it could pretty much read most words, and begin to write a lot as well!

If i had to do it all again i would get the Benjawan Poomsan Becker 'Beginner Thai' book to learn the reading and writing part, then take the short course in speaking at CMU as their course books have thai script as well.

Best of luck with the learning! I'm on the final reading and writing course (level 3) at Y.M.C.A and wish i was back at CMU! They told me they are starting a reading and writing course in the evening so might be worth giving them a shout to see if they have started it yet.

http://www.li.chiangmai.ac.th/thai/thai.html

I have already gotten the Becker book along with the CDs. I hope to have at least a passing familiarity with the Thai script before I arrive.

So far, the Payap program seems to be in the lead for me. Of course, since I plan on being in CM for a long time, I can sample others along the way if it doesn't fit.

Thanks for your suggestions and information.