Help Identifying Seed Pod

I dont want to wake the mrs up now but we have 2 on the farm and there is many such trees around the temple in the lake in Namsom, i dont think they are edible because these pods lay on the pavement round the lake, normally if its edible the tree would be bare in a few hours knowing the Thais, will get back to you when i find out [if any] uses this pod has,,

Cheers, Lickey..

Come on Lickey wake sleeping beauty up. Tell her it will be nearly daylight in a couple hours, a beautiful time of day. I am going to town for coffee, will watch for smoke in the sky toward your way.

Slapout, ive no doubt that she would have told if i woke her, but my good lady works 14hour days in her salon and then some! even xmas day she was doing roast lamb and all the trimmings and still took in customers while i was looking after 6 falang mates, so with kudos to her, i did remember to ask her tonight,

The name of this bean/pod sounds like linfar, when it gets to the stage we saw in the pics, its useless, but when young and green, its used as a flavouring in Issan cooking, so i suppose thats why you only

ever see the black pods on the ground, they must come from the top of the tree where thais cant reach??

So there you go OP, Linfar, No smoke tonight Slapout, to much rain,

Its called Hang Nok Young, You cannot eat it, it is from a tree and has red flowers on it. There is a simular vegetable but it is green that can be eaten. That is called a Malum

Edited by Thongkorn

Its called Hang Nok Young, You cannot eat it, it is from a tree and has red flowers on it. There is a simular vegetable but it is green that can be eaten. That is called a Malum

If the flowers on the tree are yellow, it's rachapreuk (the Thai national tree) or Indian laburnam. The pods are inedible and, if put in a fire, explode

Thats not Hang Nok Yoong, or Flame Tree (Delonix regia)seed pods. Those are long and flat.

orangered.JPG

Yes, it probably is the Rachaphruek tree, with golden yellow flowers. The Golden Shower tree or Cassia Fistula has long round seed pods.

Cassia_fistula.jpg