Most Baffling Thai Service

lazurus

Weird services  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't give a monkey's if all these helpless morons on this thread think I'm bang out of order for leaving a taxi's door open for refusing my custom. They are here to provide a public service and are licensed to do so. And being licensed does not mean that it's up to them, they are obliged to take a patron from A to B regardless of the traffic being buggered or it's not on their way home. Failing to do so, is in breach of the terms and conditions of their license and contract to their operators.....So there!!

Is your stinking attitude spread across your face and whole demeanor as Thais in general are very sharp on body language..probably why you get alot of refusals.

example only yesterday.

i jumped into a cab and then the guy took me around the block phoned back to base on his mobile spoke to someone about where i wanted to go then pulled up to another cab...and asked the driver if he would take me...then said "swap" his total English language...luckily i speak enough Thai to make it easy for him that i understood and duly got out without being asked to pay and into my new cab..

it would have been rather silly and idiotic to leave his door open for this reason..

you need to grow up and get with the plan...no matter how old you are...

If you try to get a taxi 1 to 2 hours before they are due to end their shift of course they will refuse to take you if it means they cannot get back to base..

Its just plain ridiculous and surprising that you take such a stinking attitude or maybe its just a bit of fun on your keyboard..

gotglue = nof_ckingclue :)

Sorry if I upset you so much, but the "stinking attitude" I have towards these taxi drivers is one that is shared by the majority of thais living in BKK. Maybe I've been living here too long and their attitudes are rubbing off on me, I dunno. But in my opinion AND that of many thais is, they're out of order

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

solutions: buy your own vehicle, go by bus/skytrain/metro/ship and walk the rest, move to a more central location, move away from bangkok, live with that and learn to be patient.

I have lived/worked in BKK during the real heavy traffic jam years in the 80s without your problem.

Why don't they have ladies giving massage at the urinals?

I bet the tips would shoot up! :)

See, the problem is, that's not all that would "shoot up".. (which can be quite an inconvenience when you genuinely need to pee). And, since there are already places where that service can be found, to put it in the men's bathroom would just be redundant.

I don't give a monkey's if all these helpless morons on this thread think I'm bang out of order for leaving a taxi's door open for refusing my custom. They are here to provide a public service and are licensed to do so. And being licensed does not mean that it's up to them, they are obliged to take a patron from A to B regardless of the traffic being buggered or it's not on their way home. Failing to do so, is in breach of the terms and conditions of their license and contract to their operators.....So there!!

Is your stinking attitude spread across your face and whole demeanor as Thais in general are very sharp on body language..probably why you get alot of refusals.

example only yesterday.

i jumped into a cab and then the guy took me around the block phoned back to base on his mobile spoke to someone about where i wanted to go then pulled up to another cab...and asked the driver if he would take me...then said "swap" his total English language...luckily i speak enough Thai to make it easy for him that i understood and duly got out without being asked to pay and into my new cab..

it would have been rather silly and idiotic to leave his door open for this reason..

If you try to get a taxi 1 to 2 hours before they are due to end their shift of course they will refuse to take you if it means they cannot get back to base..

Its just plain ridiculous and surprising that you take such a stinking attitude or maybe its just a bit of fun on your keyboard..

Sorry if I upset you so much, but the "stinking attitude" I have towards these taxi drivers is one that is shared by the majority of thais living in BKK. Maybe I've been living here too long and their attitudes are rubbing off on me, I dunno. But in my opinion AND that of many thais is, they're out of order

Trying to get to Bangkok from Pattaya after the bus service had ended. Found a driver who wanted to come home to Bangkok for the night only charged me $700 bhat. There are good taxi drivers out there.

How often do you do that in your own country, I bet never!!!!

Perhaps I have lived here for too long,anyway,I don`t see any baffling with pepsi in a bag......The solution:Put it in a plasticbag (like they do with everything else...)

Ever try to sit that "bag" on a table while you eat or work at your desk? Two perfectly good reasons for why the bag is baffling to me. :)

Thats why we have buckets in our office. small aluminium buckets you can use as holder for the bag.

They'd turn down a trip to Pattaya? Pull the other one.

True story. A mate said he went into a Thai restaurant and ordered a bottle of Heineken. The girl asked if he wanted a large or a small bottle. He asked for a small one and she replied that they don't sell small ones. :)

"Okay, I'll have a large one" he says, to which she replies "I'm sorry - no have, finished". :D

The sad thing is, I absolutely believed him - you couldn't make it up, could you?

I am sorry just a quick rant. I went to 7-11 today and bought an mp3 cd with artists such as led zeppelin, U2, Oasis etc etc. 109 baht for lots of great slow rock songs. Played the first track and thought it didn't really sound like the artist and presumed it was the live version. The second song again sounded similar but not quite right after the third song it became clear that all the famous singers are actually not the artists and are just singing the same song.

In all fairness the rock group impersonators do sound quite good but they are not the real thing.

If anyone has tried to get their money back on Thailand they will know it is often best to say goodbye to your money.

No, there are not there to provide a public service. There are there to do their job and make money. While in a traffic jam the meter only ticks off at 2 baht every other minute. They are losing money. Ideally a taxi goes from one 2km 35 baht passenger to the next. They make the most money getting their passenger to their destination as quickly as possible and getting a new one. A series of really bad traffic jams means that they will lose money for the day. They don't get their taxis for free ya know, they rent them per day. They also have to bring them back at the end of their shift, which means they have to search for passengers that are heading towards their taxi depot. Leaving the door open because he doesn't want to go to your destination just means you're a jerk.

As I understand it, as in the UK, its against the Law for a meter taxi here to refuse a fair. That said, if they don't want to take me, I understand that its probably not going towards their area at the end of their shift or into an areas of peak traffic.

There are always more who will take you in Bangkok. However it does get very frustrating to have a succession of refusals.

I also do the 'leaving the door open childish get my own back thingy'... but usually in more extreme circumstances...

e.g. 1: Taxi Driver wouldn't close the window and turn on the air-con, told him to stop got out and walked off (left door open).

e.g. 2: Taxi Driver wouldn't go my way. After telling him that I've been driving in bkk for 10 years and know the short cuts and at what times some roads are busier than others in my area he didn't want to take me. I got out, walked off and left the door open.

I've done it a handful of times when I guy really gets up my nose... 90% of the time though they are ok, and get a tip.

Back on topic: Most baffling service, Most of it. In a restaurant, the fact that even when Thai's order in Thai there are so many mistakes when the food arrives.

No, there are not there to provide a public service. There are there to do their job and make money. While in a traffic jam the meter only ticks off at 2 baht every other minute. They are losing money. Ideally a taxi goes from one 2km 35 baht passenger to the next. They make the most money getting their passenger to their destination as quickly as possible and getting a new one. A series of really bad traffic jams means that they will lose money for the day. They don't get their taxis for free ya know, they rent them per day. They also have to bring them back at the end of their shift, which means they have to search for passengers that are heading towards their taxi depot. Leaving the door open because he doesn't want to go to your destination just means you're a jerk.

As I understand it, as in the UK, its against the Law for a meter taxi here to refuse a fair. That said, if they don't want to take me, I understand that its probably not going towards their area at the end of their shift or into an areas of peak traffic.

There are always more who will take you in Bangkok. However it does get very frustrating to have a succession of refusals.

I also do the 'leaving the door open childish get my own back thingy'... but usually in more extreme circumstances...

e.g. 1: Taxi Driver wouldn't close the window and turn on the air-con, told him to stop got out and walked off (left door open).

e.g. 2: Taxi Driver wouldn't go my way. After telling him that I've been driving in bkk for 10 years and know the short cuts and at what times some roads are busier than others in my area he didn't want to take me. I got out, walked off and left the door open.

I've done it a handful of times when I guy really gets up my nose... 90% of the time though they are ok, and get a tip.

Back on topic: Most baffling service, Most of it. In a restaurant, the fact that even when Thai's order in Thai there are so many mistakes when the food arrives.

I have to admit that, although I rarely use taxis in town, I too have experienced this. At various times of the day also, not just in rush hour times, but in mid day. It doesn't bother me too much, as I tend to drive myself most of the time. But I can see his point.

@Kilgore Trout...OK, I surrender on this one, And yes I gotta admit, having a SHOULDER rub whilst taking a pee, is somewhat nice :D

wow, ha ha, I get it now, don't see how I missed that one; right over the head. I give you props on that, I feel a bit silly now :)

Sit down at a restaurant table with Japanese male friend that doesn't speak a word of Thai. Waitress continues to look only at Japanese person despite me speaking clear Thai. Aftre I say something to server she still looks at Japanese male as if expecting an answer in Thai.

Restaurant servers "freeze' sometimes when they see a western customer. They should simply speak the language of the country they are in to the customer.

I have known Down's syndrome people to function at a higher level.

I can relate to this, happened to me many times before. What is really annoying is when I explain to Thai wife later and she defends them. Sometimes I feel like the only rational person in a sea of idiots :)

I lost my atm card (haha see previous post) when i went to the bank to get a new one..i was told i could not as it was not the branch i opened the account at.

So I had to track across Bangkok to go to my original branch to get a new atm card.

I asked what happens if i am in Chiang Mai or on an island and lose my card? You have to come back here sir...

No <deleted>..... how crap is that! its UOB to so its not even Thai...what a rubbish system...

How about: Bangkok Bank - my passbook was full, and I wanted a fresh one. After going back to the "correct" branch, they asked me for my passport - I was carrying a copy, my ATM card, and of course my old passbook. No I had to produce my passport. So on the next visit I handed over my old passbook and my passport. Tap tap tap on the computer. Puzzled look. Long consultation with colleagues etc. Finally

"Cannot, Sir. Passport not same number"

"I know - I have renewed my passport since I opened the account."

"Sorry Sir. Cannot. You open new account."

Baffling: Explaining (in English,Thai and Hindi) to the mobile Indian nut peddler at On Nut market that I don't want any of his nuts as I am allergic to nuts on an almost daily basis for over a year drives me nuts. Almost.

Trouble is that Farang all look the same.....

Like refusing the TukTuk driver who offers a trip to a massage parlour - 4 times a day, every day.

It's transport that always gets me.

Turning up at the bus station at 9:15am to be told the 9:30 has left already but the 9:00 will be going in 15 minutes was a test of my Thai and my sanity.

Rushing to get the minivan at 11:30, rather than wait around for the 1:30pm one as per the printed timetable. Got there at 11:28 only to be told that all the minivans had gone already. Why have a printed timetable then?

And don't even think of trying to book on the "booking number" printed on the card. "We don't take bookings until the day before."

Day before "Yes, plenty of seats. Call back in the morning."

An hour before it's due to go "Sorry, full"

Similarly, being hurried onto the bus that was just about to leave, only to then wait for another hour for more passengers. Finally going anyway nearly empty when a whole bunch of passengers got off.

Thai/Farang fusion food can be amusing too. Ice cream sandwiches. Spaghetti bolognese which was basically lap drowned in tomato ketchup. And 7-11s bizzare looking sticky rice burgers.

The minibus / minivan, which has a start time of 10 pm to Bangkok, waits another 30 minutes until full, then drives around 10 MooBaans picking up even more passengers so that they can sit on the floor.

all good stuff, anyone care to make a list of what thais find irritating ( quirky by thai standards) about "guests " in thailand?

Always irritate them when I take out my hankerchief to blow my nose, but they then think it quite normal to sniff away through a meal.

example only yesterday.

I can't be two faced about this and must say that I agree with you, I must remember to leave that back door opened if I'm refused again!

Baffling: Explaining (in English,Thai and Hindi) to the mobile Indian nut peddler at On Nut market that I don't want any of his nuts as I am allergic to nuts on an almost daily basis for over a year drives me nuts. Almost.

Trouble is that Farang all look the same.....

Like refusing the TukTuk driver who offers a trip to a massage parlour - 4 times a day, every day.

Persistance overcomes resistance....

This inability to make it from order to serving is one that gets me...

Order in Thai - Waitress confirms in Thai, I confirm in English, waitress confirms in English... so it is written down correctly, or the waitress understands what I have ordered correctly...

What turns up is nothing more than a lottery...

I had my mum with me for a Holiday, and she was also perplexed that something as simple as 1 toasted cheese sandwhich, 1 toasted ham sandwhich, no mayo on either, would at best result in 2 toasted cheese and ham sandwhiches with mayo... at worst, a Hamburger... but mostly she was perplexed, that I expected that would be the case, and just laughed and started feeding the kids...

But at least most of the time you can just eat it and laugh...

I am in Lemon Grass, which I believe is a pretty good restaurant in BKK... one of my work colleagues is allergic to fish and crustaceans... he's never been out of Australia before... An order for the whole table of 20 is placed, and the waiter brings out Som Tum... My workmate asks "Does this have Fish or Shrimp???"... waiter "No"... me thinking this is strange, "Som Tum mee goong mee mai"... waiter "mee khrup, dtee lek diaw"... "Has, but only small"... tell that to the guy in anaphylactic shock :)...

But... they are trying soooo hard to provide good service, they just don't get it....

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

helpful hints: Ordinary Thai people like waiters can hardly speak/understand English especially Australian English or some Thai words false pronounced with an Australian accent.

So don't expect that they understand your order. And don't expect that a yes/no is a yes/no in your sense. Same for the Tom Yam fiascso...

Actually that's in the beginner's guide to Thailand.

So, next time speak slowly and simultaneously point that on the menu by saying: No mayonnaise and repeat that.

I am in Lemon Grass, which I believe is a pretty good restaurant in BKK... one of my work colleagues is allergic to fish and crustaceans... he's never been out of Australia before... An order for the whole table of 20 is placed, and the waiter brings out Som Tum... My workmate asks "Does this have Fish or Shrimp???"... waiter "No"... me thinking this is strange, "Som Tum mee goong mee mai"... waiter "mee khrup, dtee lek diaw"... "Has, but only small"... tell that to the guy in anaphylactic shock :)...

But... they are trying soooo hard to provide good service, they just don't get it....

Cheers,

Daewoo

:D

My Thai wife had done that to me

She had ordered a noodle dish one day before i arrived at the restaurant so as i tucked into what i thought was a chicken noodle dish...i almost spat out the chicken and pulling a disgusting face...i said to her is this fish..

her reply no...!

I was like well its the weirdest tasting chicken to me i can't eat this it just tastes of fish...

me...are you sure its not fish?

her....yes...its not fish but squid...hahaha :D

:D

helpful hints: Ordinary Thai people like waiters can hardly speak/understand English especially Australian English or some Thai words false pronounced with an Australian accent.

So don't expect that they understand your order. And don't expect that a yes/no is a yes/no in your sense. Same for the Tom Yam fiascso...

So, next time speak slowly and simultaneously point that on the menu by saying: No mayonnaise and repeat that.

All well and good....... but how do you explain away when a Thai national orders something in Thai and doesnt get what they have asked for either.. :) ....this has happen to Mrs Soutpeel on numerous occassions...

It seems to me that you are saying its the farangs fault that a waiter gets a customers order wrong...this to me for one explains why customer service is so poor in Thailand, people make excuses all the time for poor quality basic service... :D

All well and good....... but how do you explain away when a Thai national orders something in Thai and doesnt get what they have asked for either.. :) ....this has happen to Mrs Soutpeel on numerous occassions...

It seems to me that you are saying its the farangs fault that a waiter gets a customers order wrong...this to me for one explains why customer service is so poor in Thailand, people make excuses all the time for poor quality basic service... :D

You are projecting your negative interpretation into something which was not said. I am explaining one of the proper ways to order for certain people. So, chances are better that he can get that too...

Strangest vendor I've seen is the guy pushing the cart loaded with stuffed toys.

In three years I've NEVER seen anyone buy a cheap, hideous 4 foot purple elephant and thus carry it around for the rest of the nite, nor have I seen anyone actually carrying one after the fact.

How does he make any money?

Perhaps I have lived here for too long,anyway,I don`t see any baffling with pepsi in a bag......The solution:Put it in a plasticbag (like they do with everything else...)

Ever try to sit that "bag" on a table while you eat or work at your desk? Two perfectly good reasons for why the bag is baffling to me. :)

Thats why we have buckets in our office. small aluminium buckets you can use as holder for the bag.

You mean those things I've been spitting my chewing tobacco into?? :D