Unmasked: Thailand's Men In Black

TAWP

Unmasked: Thailand's men in black

By Kenneth Todd Ruiz and Olivier Sarbil

BANGKOK - A cigarette hanging from his lips, a sinewy man with a knotted-up beard perched on the back of a plastic chair and spoke into a military-grade radio.

''Happy birthday," he said in English. Moments later a sonorous detonation boomed from afar in the heart of the Thai capital. A cluster of anti-government protesters crowded around him exulted, shouting ''Happy birthday'' in unison. Many more such coded celebrations would follow in the next 24 hours.

It's five days before the army would send armored personnel carriers into central Bangkok on May 19 to decisively quash the

''red shirt'' occupation, and your correspondents are inside a tent with the infamous paramilitaries, dubbed ''men in black'' by the media, as they prepared for war.

They let us inside their secret world on one condition: if we took any pictures, they would kill us.

These were not the regular black-attired security guards employed by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, or UDD, anti-government protest group who generally didn't carry guns. These were the secretive and heavily armed agent provocateurs whose connections, by their own admission, run to the top of the UDD, also known as the red shirts.

More reading here:

http://atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LE29Ae02.html

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite amazing that these men in black let two farang stay with them, especially farang from a paper formally owned by Sondhi and its connections to the Manager Group. Some great quotes they made up while out drinking somewhere though "you take pic we kill you Thai style" classic. Bad move by the men in black...oh hand on that just wouldn't happen would it..you nearly got me there Sondhi...duh

Dramatic headline grabbing, no new detail padded out with the usual dialogue......any person with an imagination could easily have penned that article

Yes absolutely. We all know this anyway .... BIGGER NEWS! THE CURFEWS BEEN LIFTED! :D:)

Quite amazing that these men in black let two farang stay with them, especially farang from a paper formally owned by Sondhi and its connections to the Manager Group. Some great quotes they made up while out drinking somewhere though "you take pic we kill you Thai style" classic. Bad move by the men in black...oh hand on that just wouldn't happen would it..you nearly got me there Sondhi...duh

:)

Your disbelief would be credible .... if .... they were "from a paper formally owned by Sondhi...", However, since they are NOT from any given paper at all .....

The should only get the credibility that their reputation or verifiable history would suggest is worth. Check them out online and decide for yourself. The writer has posted video taken behind red lines .. so it merits attention if not 100% belief. I am tending to believe the story.

Dramatic headline grabbing, no new detail padded out with the usual dialogue......any person with an imagination could easily have penned that article

er.....

post-15207-1275119928_thumb.jpg

post-15207-1275119974_thumb.jpg

:) that's it then is it all thailands men...sorry 'man' in black are now unmasked..........you should read what I wrote....not what you think I wrote... :D

Edited by 473geo

Very interesting article. Given that there is a lot of evidence that the men in black were a real group operating behind red shirt lines, the details in this article certainly fit fairly well with what others have claimed. True, it could be exaggerated, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a fair amount of truth in it. After all, someone had to have the guns and weapons on the red side. It does seem rather ridiculous of them to be so open about everything with 2 foreign reporters. But, I've long ago learnt that nothing in Thailand should surprise me too much!

Very interesting article. Given that there is a lot of evidence that the men in black were a real group operating behind red shirt lines, the details in this article certainly fit fairly well with what others have claimed. True, it could be exaggerated, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a fair amount of truth in it. After all, someone had to have the guns and weapons on the red side. It does seem rather ridiculous of them to be so open about everything with 2 foreign reporters. But, I've long ago learnt that nothing in Thailand should surprise me too much!

I agree that this is a convincing article. If these two guys submit to questioning and written testimony to the CRES or DSI, which I think they should do...then this is very big news. We have all (except those with blinders who don't want to see) known that these men in black were shooting guns and grenades at the police and soldiers, but these are first hand witnesses. I hope they come forward or are subpoenaed and provide testimony. This and all the videos of Arisaman and Nuthawat screaming from the stage for the red shirts to burn down Bangkok...make the Puea Thai censure vote against the government's use of force...a pathetic journey into fantasy. It also gives a chill to think about Thaksin's statement last week that the Red Shirts "might start taking guerilla actions against the government". Funny how Thaksin and his cronies always talk about something "might" happen...then it happens....then they deny involvement or inciting the actions taken.

Yes a very interesting article, but i can't seem to see when (Date) this so called interview took place. any body shed some light on this?

from the article ".... it's five days before the army would send armored personnel carriers into central Bangkok on May 19 to decisively quash the"

There are two keys factors arising from this article:

Firstly for most of the time the red apologists were denying day after day that the blackshirts were a part of the red occupation in Bangkok.

(Even when shown evidence they said the blacks were merely carrying confiscated weaponry to a place of safety, that sort of lie).

Secondly it wrecks the red argument seen the last few days that the violence was not an essential part of the red movement but merely that of a disconnected rogue element.

That the Blackshirts were an essential part of the red movement was plain for all to see.

The red upset at the death of Seh Daeng told us everything we needed to know about where their heart was.

That they are trying on new clothes will not fool anybody.

But at least their sting has been removed.

er.....

:) that's it then is it all thailands men...sorry 'man' in black are now unmasked..........you should read what I wrote....not what you think I wrote... :D

er....

post-15207-1275131560_thumb.jpg

er.....

and here is some video evidence to it

Between 0:11 - 0:19 you can see a person in civilian clothes, t-shirt and shorts, armed with a rifle and probably also shooting. Similar to the clips with a sighting of one of the 'terrorists'. But the problem here is that he is together with regular army troops, soldiers in combat gear, Abhisits security forces.

er.....

Between 0:11 - 0:19 you can see a person in civilian clothes, t-shirt and shorts, armed with a rifle and probably also shooting. Similar to the clips with a sighting of one of the 'terrorists'. But the problem here is that he is together with regular army troops, soldiers in combat gear, Abhisits security forces.

Doesn't this video prove that the armed civilians running around shooting were in fact with the army? In the video he's clearly running with the army and they are doing nothing to arrest him. So he must be one of them?

Firstly for most of the time the red apologists were denying day after day that the blackshirts were a part of the red occupation in Bangkok.

I didn't read the article yet but for the Elite- and Yellow apologists amongst the members ( :D ) I have to point out that Asia Times Online is owned by Sondhi Limthongkhul (PAD co-founder) the once VERY-CLOSE buddy friend of Thaksin.

Seen in this light it is not particularly strange that "news" brought by ATO will never be pro-Red and never be anti-Yellow.

Note: I write this, standing in the middle, neither being Red nor Yellow.

I am pro Thai People.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

er.....

Doesn't this video prove that the armed civilians running around shooting were in fact with the army? In the video he's clearly running with the army and they are doing nothing to arrest him. So he must be one of them?

Maybe the "Armed civilian" was a soldier who got his uniform dirty?

Or maybe it was in the wash.

Of he pooped himself.

What a load of cobblers you lot write on the "evidence" of a short video clip. :)

Please post more. :D

er.....

Isn't that about the 18th time you've posted the same video and made almost the same comment? You are beginning to look like a propaganda merchant.

Several alternate possible explanations have been given to you over numerous different threads. In the end there is nothing conclusive about the video you are so keen to show over and over and over again.

Great piece of 'on the ground' reporting.

BBC, look and learn what you can do if you have committed people prepared to 'man up' and do the job they are being paid to do.

This is no armchair style of repetitive hearsay journalism sprinkled with a dusting of Red Shirt propaganda is it BBC?

I didn't read the article yet but for the Elite- and Yellow apologists amongst the members ( :D ) I have to point out that Asia Times Online is owned by Sondhi Limthongkhul (PAD co-founder) the once VERY-CLOSE buddy friend of Thaksin.

Seen in this light it is not particularly strange that "news" brought by ATO will never be pro-Red and never be anti-Yellow.

I am pro Thai People.

LaoPo

Are you sure? I thought that Sondhi dissolved all connections to Asia Times when the paper was put out of print in 1997 during the financial crisis. Two years later the former writers and editors banded together to form Asia Times Online, a non-print publication 'By westerners, for westerners'.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Doesn't this video prove that the armed civilians running around shooting were in fact with the army?

No it does not. There are plenty of videos with armed "civilians" amongst the protesters.

Forward observer, infiltrator trying to find out where the black shirts were , doctored video, the Thai version of any of the agencies that use undercover agents and he was being extracted and was just given the weapons on the way out, the soldiers weren't soldiers, the possibilities are endless ..... what we do know is that the Gov't will likely have to answer questions about this :) What it doesn't prove is anything related to the black shirts or anyone being shot.

I am pro Thai People.

LaoPo

Are you sure? I thought that Sondhi dissolved all connections to Asia Times when the paper was put out of print in 1997 during the financial crisis. Two years later the former writers and editors banded together to form Asia Times Online, a non-print publication 'By westerners, for westerners'.

Not to mention that the reporters were NOT in the employ of ATO --- (they are freelancers) ---- They also have a bit of credibility since they were posting Youtubes that were taken from behind red lines. Mixing right in with the red shirt guards.

I am pro Thai People.

LaoPo

As red as red can be.

Despite scuttling into the shadows.

Of course he's not sure, because he's wrong and you are correct. Sondhi hasn't been a part of Asia Times for 13 years :)

Additionally, any number of articles from ATO have been negative towards the Yellows.

Seen in this light, the poster is clearly being pro-Red.

I am pro Thai People.

LaoPo

As red as red can be.

Despite scuttling into the shadows.

He has a habit of claiming to be neutral (on other issues) when his posts strongly suggest otherwise. whistling.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.