Reconditioning A Helmet?

Kf6vci

What is your head worth? Buy a new one.

Predictable response... Do people post these responses just to get up their post count? Oh well.... Thaivisa...

What are you on about? I could give a dam_n about my post count :) At least I'm on topic...

You DO know that safety helmets have a limited life don't you? I never keep a helmet more than 4 or 5 years. Do you actually KNOW what you're talking about?

Don't take my word for it.

From the SMF.org site:

by: Ed Hunter

How often should you replace your helmet?

You know that smelly old thing that you have been wearing for years. Just got comfortable, didn't it.

First some background: I work for the SNELL MEMORIAL FOUNDATION as a Lab Technician testing helmets. This means I have some knowledge about helmet testing and standards, plus access to helmet test equipment.

For years now when people find out where I work, one of the first questions asked is "how long do helmets last"? In an attempt to answer the question, I asked my riding friends to give me their old helmets for testing. The procedure used was to identify each helmet's original test standard because it would be unreasonable to expect a helmet certified in 1970 to withstand the impacts required by the 2000 standard. For SNELL certified helmets this was easy. Each certified helmet contains a sticker indicating the standard. For non certified helmets, I used the standard that was in effect at the time of manufacture. Although there are other helmet standards in the world, I tested all helmets to the applicable SNELL standard. The helmets were rigorously tested, but the exercise was informal because there was no control group of helmets and no attempt to ascertain the treatment each helmet had received over the years. Since 1996, I tested 26 different helmets representing 8 different manufacturers. The oldest helmet was certified to the SNELL 1962 standard and the newest had a 1990 SNELL sticker.

What!

You want to know the results of all this testing?

Over half of the helmets were able to pass the test prescribed by the original standard.

No, I will not identify those that passed or failed.

What does it all mean? I think it means that the recommendation of many manufacturers to replace your helmet every five years is as good as any. I believe helmets left in the box, on the shelf will last a long, long time. Of course, they won't provide you much protection while you're out riding and they're setting on the shelf. There are at least three things to keep in mind when considering whether to purchase a new helmet; one, how has the helmet been treated; two, how far have the standards advanced; and three, how does it smell.

As much as you love the old smelly one, buy a new one. Shark helmets are now available in Thailand.

My God what horrible music on the website!! Puts u off looking at it!

Well, its the same i said on gt-rider...but i believe shark helmets working on something which may look something like this:www.shark-helmets.com

granted it is not perfect yet either and a bit slow but a lot better. In the end it really depends on the product where i been only told good things about and may actually get one myself( i like the jet helmet RSJ) .

Happy trails,

Tiger /Sachs Club - Mbox

<br />
<br /><br />Predictable response... Do people post these responses just to get up their post count? Oh well.... Thaivisa...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Kind of what I was thinking. Not wishing to be argumentative Tony but didn't you post a video a while back where you were riding with no helmet at all? And another one riding over 200 kph? Maybe he's planning on using it for the local trips to the 711 etc. The type that we've all done with no helmet or one of those plastic 150 baht thingies... Best not to jump to conclusions sometimes...

One thing not being mentioned in this thread is material in the helmet. This is of vital importance. Most of the salad bowls we see people have on their heads in Thailand are made of pressed ABS plastic. Which is a good material to make household containers and salad bowls of.

If you look at most "real looking" helmets they are made of Polycarbonate, the same material that visors are made of. Often these helmets are made of two halves that then are pressed together. This material is also sensitive to heat changes and shall preferably be kept away from direct sunshine. Go figure.

The only material good enough for a helmet is glassfibre or carbonfibre or a combination of these. Thereafter you need to look inside. How that is formed and of what material is also very important.

some of the shark helmets available are listed on panda riders with a price...here a link: http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Helmets_Shark.htm

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

So for example an RSI is $450+ here in Thailand (15,300 Baht) where they are made and $210 if I order it from the USA.

What did they do, set a US price and then work out how much it would cost someone to ship it back and pay the duty on it? Voila - The Thai price.

Edited by Benjie

some of the shark helmets available are listed on panda riders with a price...here a link: http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Helmets_Shark.htm

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

So for example an RSI is $450+ here in Thailand (15,300 Baht) where they are made and $210 if I order it from the USA.

What did they do, set a US price and then work out how much it would cost someone to ship it back and pay the duty on it? Voila - The Thai price.

Here is another seller that has a lower price on their selection of Shark Helmets: http://www.mpkconcept.com/mpk/index.php?pa...rt&Itemid=1

Not sure if Panda sells the Helmet on the "suggested retail price" or simply charges more ...sure there will be more channels to get these Helmets in future too.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Predictable response... Do people post these responses just to get up their post count? Oh well.... Thaivisa...

It might be a predictable response, but it is also the right one. My helmet says right in the owners manual to replace it after five years. If the foam is degrading, it needs to be replaced.

T

It might be a predictable response, but it is also the right one. My helmet says right in the owners manual to replace it after five years. If the foam is degrading, it needs to be replaced.

T

well said and accurate...like many other things/items, there is something like an "expiration date" also on helmets...but noone said you have to buy a Schuberth again but get one that is safe( and if money is no objective you may wanna go for schuberth again :-) )....i'd say some of the most resonable Helmets with DOT here in thailand maybe the "Real Helmet" but i am quite interested on "Shark Helmets " too..still there are other brands available that fit all pockets ....happy choosing :-)

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox