Thailand Appears Back To Normal: PM

webfact

Thailand appears back to 'normal': PM

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Sunday the country appeared to have returned to "normal" with the lifting of a curfew imposed in the wake of deadly anti-government protests.

The premier lifted the curfew Saturday but said emergency rule was still necessary after two months of mass rallies by "Red Shirt" demonstrators that paralysed the capital and left almost 90 people dead.

"The situation last night was normal. Authorities will keep an eye though, then we'll consider lifting the state of emergency," Abhisit said in his weekly television address.

The Reds' street rallies, which were broken up by the army on May 19, sparked several outbreaks of violence that left 88 people dead, mostly civilians, and nearly 1,900 injured.

After the army crackdown, unrest spread to several cities in the Red Shirts' stronghold in Thailand's impoverished northeast, and a curfew was imposed in Bangkok and 23 provinces, out of a total of 76.

Authorities on Tuesday extended a midnight-to-4:00 am curfew for four more nights as the government sought to restore order.

Anyone violating the curfew had faced up to two years in jail. The measures made life hard for people who usually work during the night and put a damper on the capital's normally lively nightlife.

The Red Shirts, many of whose leaders have been arrested and are in police custody, were campaigning for elections because they consider Abhisit's government elitist and undemocratic.

Thailand declared a state of emergency in Bangkok on April 7 after protesters stormed parliament in an escalation of their street rallies.

A Thai court last Tuesday approved an arrest warrant for fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on terrorism charges, which carry a maximum penalty of death, in connection with the violent protests.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-30

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "appears normal' is the key to his statement. The PM thinks normal is the small civil war in the south of Thailand that has killed thousands over the past few years as business as usual. Threaten the tourist industry and high end shopping areas and he lets loose the police and military to kill scores of civilians. A full on propaganda scheme was released to the world trying to convince us of a terrorist attack going in the Bangkok for about two months. Of the 85 killed and thousands injured most were under his "license to kill"order to rid the shopping malls of the "evil terrorists" and not so bright protesters.

I wonder why he doesn't classify those Muslims who kill men, women, children, soldier, monks and politicians everyday in the south "terrorists". He says they are a small band of local insurgents and he is working on the problem. Some of us may be a little skeptical and a bit horrified. Bombings, beheading, lighting people on fire seems more than a small local problem. I'm sure there would be a different approach if the little band of "insurgents" began targeting Paragon and the Emporium.

I think "appears normal' is the key to his statement. The PM thinks normal is the small civil war in the south of Thailand that has killed thousands over the past few years as business as usual. Threaten the tourist industry and high end shopping areas and he lets loose the police and military to kill scores of civilians. A full on propaganda scheme was released to the world trying to convince us of a terrorist attack going in the Bangkok for about two months. Of the 85 killed and thousands injured most were under his "license to kill"order to rid the shopping malls of the "evil terrorists" and not so bright protesters.

I wonder why he doesn't classify those Muslims who kill men, women, children, soldier, monks and politicians everyday in the south "terrorists". He says they are a small band of local insurgents and he is working on the problem. Some of us may be a little skeptical and a bit horrified. Bombings, beheading, lighting people on fire seems more than a small local problem. I'm sure there would be a different approach if the little band of "insurgents" began targeting Paragon and the Emporium.

I don't know. Which is worse, terrorists or insurgents? It seems insurgents is the correct word to describe events in the south. Terrorists would aptly describe the bombings throughout BKK, the assassination of government or military leaders, and the burning of many buildings throughout BKK.

I don't think you can classify armed protestors and those that help armed protestors as being civilians. People attacking the army were killed. Many of the killed and injured were soldiers.

It's also interesting the propaganda program going on by Thaksin. For someone that has nothing to do with the red shirts, he's doing a lot of defense of them (and himself) around the world.

Threaten the tourist industry and high end shopping areas and he lets loose the police and military to kill scores of civilians.

They did a lot more than threaten. They came close to destroying both and refused a generous peace offer for early elections. You reap what you sow.

"Back to normal".... what a smug, obnoxious announcement by PM "Abhisit"

Not sure how this pathetic excuse for a man can even hold his head up in public after controlling the murder of scores of innocent civillians and reporters.

Can't wait to see him behind bars where he belongs.

One change to the previous normal is after the Red Shirt protests/riots people are more selective in who they speak with regarding politics, Red Shirts, Yellow Shirts, etc., since harder feelings have developed on all sides and the common Thai tries to avoid conflicts/arguments in day-to-day life. This just may make the political problems even harder to resolve due to less open discussion. Now of course the politicians will continue with their open, one-sided discussions but many more Thai's will resign their thoughts to themselves and close family/friends.

Not sure how this pathetic excuse for a man can even hold his head up in public after controlling the murder of scores of innocent civillians and reporters.

Do you mean the "innocent civilians" shooting at the army and bystanders with guns, grenades, and RPGs?

Or maybe the "innocent civilians" burning down buildings in Bangkok and the provinces?

Do you mean the "innocent civilians" shooting at the army and bystanders with guns, grenades, and RPGs?

Or maybe the "innocent civilians" burning down buildings in Bangkok and the provinces?

No, I mean the innocent civilians that were shot in the temple and the foriegn reports that were shot, and the countless number of other innocent people that were killed under his leadership.

No, I mean the innocent civilians that were shot in the temple and the foriegn reports that were shot, and the countless number of other innocent people that were killed under his leadership.

You have proof of who shot these people?

A german reporter, saw it with his own eyes, innocent, unarmed people getting mowed down by the armys bullets.

From what I understand, he will submit his eyewitness account plus photo evidence he has gathered.

Edited by sgtpeppers

A german reporter, saw it with his own eyes, innocent people getting mowed down by the armys bullets.

From what I understand, he will submit his eyewitness account plus photo evidence he has gathered.

He "will" submit it? Meaning he hasn't already? All he has done is said he has seen it?

I assume that he has reported somewhere that he saw it. Do you have a link for that?

A german reporter, saw it with his own eyes, innocent people getting mowed down by the armys bullets.

He "will" submit it? Meaning he hasn't already? All he has done is said he has seen it?

I assume that he has reported somewhere that he saw it. Do you have a link for that?

Sounds strikingly similar to the words of the Aussie/Irish guy who took the stage of the red shirts. I think all is fair in love and war. The soldiers had a very tough job they could not sit idly by waiting for so called innocents to separate themselves from others with weapons who clearly were not going to come up and wai them. In war there are unplanned and unintended consequences war is not a tidy affair and these red shirts wanted war. I think Abhisit handled the situation as best he could given the circumstances and don't think he is a bad guy for that. I am more pissed that he is pushing off the elections and fanning the flames now.

Edited by wasabi

Once again with the 'innocent civilians'. They're not. They had arms. They burned down our city. And as for the reporters shot, the other side were armed also with the same weapons. They could have done it.

From the daily news thread:

German freelance photographer Nick Nostitz claimed he was with unarmed protesters "who merely want to exercise their political rights" but were shot at by soldiers. He asked Abhisit about accountability under the Emergency Decree.

The PM replied by saying soldiers did fire warning shots but live bullets were used in self defence and on clear targets.

He asked Nostitz to submit evidence.

"If you have that please submit [it] to the investigating committee. You're welcome to provide the testimony," the PM said.

This reporter claims he saw this, which must have taken place up to a week ago, yet has provided no proof or supporting evidence. It will be interesting to see if he accepts Abhisits offer to provide any. And sgtpeppers, along with many other red sympathisers here, is adamant that the army killed all these people. Put up your proof.

The reporter also puts his subjectivity into doubt with his statement "they merely want to exercise their political rights". What does he know of what these people wanted? Did he ask them how much they were getting paid?

Once again with the 'innocent civilians'. They're not. They had arms. They burned down our city. And as for the reporters shot, the other side were armed also with the same weapons. They could have done it.

From my perspective, these arguments are over simplified and their purposes is only to defend one's side.

The Thai army did not act disciplined. They ran around shooting first asking questions later. It would not surprise me that if they did shot someone innocent. I live in the red zone and I saw them in action. The soldiers acted with restraint up to the big fight, but once they started the offensive, they let loose.

The government could have handled the entire protests better in so many ways. In fact I accept the argument that this all started with an illegal coup in 2006.

But regardless, I blame the red shirts.

They could of made some serious progress in their cause if they were not so hel_l bent on a fight. I would have credited the reds with support and understanding if they did not behave in such a reckless, destructive and terrorizing matter. The officials bent over backwards to end the protest peacefully. The government made many concessions. and the reds simply would not accept, putting everyone, reds, soldiers, citizens, tourist, and business at risk. The reds had some valid arguments about past injustices, but that does not give them the excuse to disregard basic human rights such as the right to property, free transit, safety, and fairness. They did not act democratic. They acted like a mob of thugs, especially the last few days. If they reds would have held to non-violence, they would have represented a cause worth something, but what they resorted to nullified their standing.

So yes, IMO innocent people did get killed, but reds cannot act complacent in that. They started the protest and they could have kept it peaceful, but instead they brought guns and bombs, laced the streets with flammables, and then set the city ablaze.

The head monk of the temple said the army shot the nurse in the back while she was assisting a wounded red shirt demonstrator that had also been shot in the temple.

Of course, you can't believe a monk in Thailand, everyone knows they're all liars.

It's funny that whenever a demonstrator is accused of shooting at the army, there is no proof needed. But there's always proof needed when the army shoots a red shirt protester.

There's another incident that was caught on camera, of a paramedic helping a red shirt protester and he gets shot in the head, drops dead on the floor.

Both sides shot and killed people, be fair at least.

It's funny that whenever a demonstrator is accused of shooting at the army, there is no proof needed. But there's always proof needed when the army shoots a red shirt protester.

Proof is needed whoever is shot.

Both sides shot and killed people, be fair at least.

Yes, but only one side was fighting for the law, the other was fighting against it. Only one side was fighting for King and country, the other side was fighting for a convicted criminal. This sort of stuff makes a difference.

Death is too good for Taksin- he is trying to make himself into the framed poor innocent victim. Yer right- the government burnt down central world and killed nearly 100 people just to get to him- to frame him.

This man seems to have a God complex- arrogance reaps no bounds. He needs attention.

Cannot wait till the day he is against a wall a shot for his actions. It will be a media circus, which he enjoys trying to convict him however.... he has the money and power to get away with it.

He waits for some people to be out of the way. IMO.

The above post is sponsored by Red Bull

Here is a video of an emergency worker saying the army stormed the temple and killed 6 people at overnight. You need to understand Thai so you might need to ask your wife to translate. (Warning: graphic images).

He didn't say that they stormed the temple.

What he said, as most people have said, is that they saw soldiers on the BTS, and that shots came from high therefore "it must have been the soldiers that were shooting".

Given that the soldiers would have had to have been up high over the BTS wall to be able to shoot down into the wat, I find it amazing that no one has said that they saw the soldiers shooting.

It seems to me the PM is trying hard to get the best for all Thai's and put the country back on its feet

While some people like yourself. do not want this

As Thailand is a democracy you are allowed an opinion

and My Thai wife who also wants all Thailand to come back together has her opinion of you

But sadly I can not tell you what she thinks as I can not find a translation of her thought to tell you

What have you been smoking

When your hero was in power, his private police would have shot you with no questions asked

And you have proof this was done by the army under the PM orders

Seems to me having them killed by Thaskins black army was more benificial so he could use there death's in his propoganda mission if he looses

A german reporter, saw it with his own eyes, innocent, unarmed people getting mowed down by the armys bullets.

You mean the one sent there by Thaskin, we are all still waiting