Buddhist Temple In Manchester U.k.

mrbojangles

Hope this is of interest to some of you, but a little advice is also needed. I posted a thread earlier this week asking if anyone knew where i could study Thai language whilst back in Manchester, U.K. Had some great responses and advice. I eventually settled for the Buddhist Temple in Manchester.

For info- Origin "On 8 February 2004 saw the establishment of the North-West Centre for Buddhist Meditation as the North-West's first Thai Buddhist temple in the in a converted curtain-rail factory in Salford. The temple was named Wat Charoen Bhavana (Manchester) by the Thai community (lit. `the temple for cultivation of meditation') and was consecrated with the blessing of the Most Ven. Phrarajbhavanavimol head of the Thai Buddhist mission to England. The temple was accepted as an official place for religious worship (no.81212) on 4 June 2004 with the help of the Thai Culture Forum UK." http://nw-meditation.tripod.com/

My question:- I start tomorrow and this will be my first visit to a Temple (never seem to have time when in Thailand!!). Can someone give me the Do's and Dont's. Also, i was told that, before we start the lesson we do 20 minutes Meditation. Never done Meditation before so I'm brand new. What does it consist of and is there any preparation i need to do? I'll let you know how it went. Quite looking forward to it. :o

cheers

MrBoJ

In this forum there are people who know a lot more about temples than I do, hopefully they will give their input later, but here is what I can think of off the bat (some of it may be wrong):

There are different types of meditation, not sure which one they employ at your temple but would suspect some variation of Vipphasana.

Wear loose-fitting clothes.

Don't drink alcohol, smoke or drink coffee before you meditate - but taking a leak might be a good idea, because you dont want your bladder to destroy your concentration.

As for temple behaviour, well first of all think about what would be proper in a church and follow those rules, but here you also need to be careful where you point your feet; no feet against the Buddha image or the monks. It is also seen as good manners to keep your head lower than that of any monk you are talking to. You will most likely be asked to take off your shoes before entering, so wear shoes that are reasonably easy to take on and off.

This is all I can think of - the proper way of paying respect to a Buddha image etc. may be overkill here - I would be surprised if the monks expect you to know everything from the beginning...

Good luck! :o

I hate the way the Buddhists seem to kidnap 'culture' in overseas circles.

I often get gobsmacked when I meet so called 'Thai Buddhists' who can't even tell me some of the basics.

How do you mean Prof? Have you had some negative experiences? I went to the Temple and felt welcomed from the minute i walked in. The Monk's are Thai and the Language Teacher is Thai (although been in the U.K. for 15 years now). I also met some really nice people there. The english guys come to learn more Thai and their wives come to just chat with each other once a week. I'm going again next week and when/if my Mrs gets her visa i'll take her along with me.

Meadish, Thanks for the advice.

Mr BoJ

Hi Mr BoJ :o,

So how did the lesson go. Let us know.

It is only a half hour drive from where I live and I might be interested in joining in the lessons.

Have I missed the opporuntity, or can someone with no knowlege of Thai join.

Andrew

Hi Mr BoJ :o,

So how did the lesson go. Let us know.

It is only a half hour drive from where I live and I might be interested in joining in the lessons.

Have I missed the opporuntity, or can someone with no knowlege of Thai join.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The lesson went great thanks. It goes back to the basics. The other people are a bit ahead of me by about 2 months but the teacher allowed me to join. She teaches us written and spoken Thai and the majority of the students (6 people) virtually know the constanents both writing and speaking. If i knuckle down i should be able to catch them up though. It's more about what you put into it after class. It's really cheap also. £30 for 10 lessons of 1 and a half hour sessions from 1:30 till 3:00pm every Saturday. You might be able to join if you are quick.

Btw : what is your reason for wanting to learn Thai? The majority have Thai wives or some connection with Thailand. Not that it matters, just wondering.

Mr BoJ

Mr BoJ,

My GF is Thai, so I think it will be a good idea to learn. She will be visiting in October so I thought I may learn a little bit to suprise her, especialy as she is a Thai language teacher. I do not need to learn Thai as her English is very good, just thought it may be helpful for when I go over there.

I think the classes will be a little too advanced for me at the moment, but I may pop down to see the teacher and get her opinion.

Thanks for the info

Andrew

Mr BoJ,

My GF is Thai, so I think it will be a good idea to learn. She will be visiting in October so I thought I may learn a little bit to suprise her, especialy as she is a Thai language teacher. I do not need to learn Thai as her English is very good, just thought it may be helpful for when I go over there.

I think the classes will be a little too advanced for me at the moment, but I may pop down to see the teacher and get her opinion.

Thanks for the info

Andrew

Andrew,

Yeah just pop down (Saturday's at 1ish). The guys bring their wives so she could chat to them on where are the best places to get Thai food are and the social nicities etc. theyr'e all a nice bunch and make everyone feel welcome.

Hope to see you there

Mr BoJ

• 3 years later...

Hi all. I have just joined as I am thinking of leaving Thailand and coming back to England.

I go to the Buddhist Temple quite often and I have a good relationship with the Monk.

I think I am picking to go to Manchester because of the Wat there it looks good on the net.

Also I will be able to learn more Thai and be able to talk in Thai with others.

Only have to get a job and somewhere to stay.

My wife says no problem I will stay at the Temple.

All the best

• 1 year later...
I hate the way the Buddhists seem to kidnap 'culture' in overseas circles.

I often get gobsmacked when I meet so called 'Thai Buddhists' who can't even tell me some of the basics.

How do you mean Prof? Have you had some negative experiences? I went to the Temple and felt welcomed from the minute i walked in. The Monk's are Thai and the Language Teacher is Thai (although been in the U.K. for 15 years now). I also met some really nice people there. The english guys come to learn more Thai and their wives come to just chat with each other once a week. I'm going again next week and when/if my Mrs gets her visa i'll take her along with me.

Meadish, Thanks for the advice.

Mr BoJ

I am looking for somewhere in Manchester to learn Thai. Need something to fit in with job which involves extensive (unpredictable)travel. Let me know how you get on.

Stevemac

Edited by camerata
Email address deleted as per forum rules.