Washing Machine In Thailand Front Or Top Loader?

rjhklein

Am I dense and missing something. If a washing machine only has a cold water inlet and no internal heater, doesn't that tell you something. Such as, the machine was designed to use only cold water and that by using hot water in a machine that is not designed for it may not be a good idea????

I am surprised by the popularity of this topic. Would have thought that with all TV members getting their maids to do the laundry, that we would be shy on experts on all things washing machines. Who knew?

I have a problem with a remote control of one of my TV things, after I dropped it in the toilet it keeps taking me to that Asia's Fat Losers programme no matter how many burgers i eat. Nothing to do with hot water in the washing machine - top or bottom - but equally fascinating just the same. :)

Back to washing machines, I heard that in order to get hot water into your machine, you need to put it on the roof of your house?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to washing machines, I heard that in order to get hot water into your machine, you need to put it on the roof of your house?

:):D:D Sarky bug8er aren't we?

Edited by GarryP

I have a top-loader, and we simply installed a water heater in between ... problem solved :)

(strictly technically the front loaders are better for several reasons, but also much more expensive, which is the only reason why they use it here so much - it's cheaper to rotate it vertically than horizontally, but horizontally works better)

Am I dense and missing something. If a washing machine only has a cold water inlet and no internal heater, doesn't that tell you something. Such as, the machine was designed to use only cold water and that by using hot water in a machine that is not designed for it may not be a good idea????

no - the only reason why it doesn't have a water heater is to keep it cheap ...

Front loaders are more energy efficient, less rough on your clothes and give a far superior wash, in hot or cold water. Show me a professional or industrial laundry anywhere that uses top loaders.

Modern detergents. powders and additives now are highly effiicent in cold water, just don't be a cheeap bastard. If you really want to be fussy - separate your wash. Wash your whites separately from coloureds and so on.

I still do my own washing to this day. Been doing it since I was 15.

I did however, give up ironing.

no - the only reason why it doesn't have a water heater is to keep it cheap ...

If it had heater it would take all day to heat up all that water and probably start losing just as much heat as it put in. Also if the bowl is plastic you run the risk of it distorting during spin if it is hot. Some top loaders that have hat water inlet will not spin at full speed if it has done a hot wash.

So during hot season you cool the water before letting it in your washing machine??

Warm water doesn't necessarily mean hot which is difficult to get from any standard water heater anyway... 30C or 45C or even 60C will always do better than luke warm water.

My intention was to get some opinion on this matter from experts and people like you who could give sound advice, some from practice some from having an idea......that's all..

Edited by jumbo

If it had heater it would take all day to heat up all that water and probably start losing just as much heat as it put in. Also if the bowl is plastic you run the risk of it distorting during spin if it is hot. Some top loaders that have hat water inlet will not spin at full speed if it has done a hot wash.

Must be a top of the line model top-loader as I haven't seen it around yet :)

Front loaders are more energy efficient, less rough on your clothes and give a far superior wash, in hot or cold water. Show me a professional or industrial laundry anywhere that uses top loaders.

Modern detergents. powders and additives now are highly effiicent in cold water, just don't be a cheeap bastard. If you really want to be fussy - separate your wash. Wash your whites separately from coloureds and so on.

I still do my own washing to this day. Been doing it since I was 15.

I did however, give up ironing.

Wouldn't it be more difficult to open the top or wouldn't that have to do with space and difficulties in unloading the washing machine???

I guess you have to consider space availability also. Top loaders are great is you have adequate space.

I would also caution against electronic machines. Electronics and water are just not a good combination.

The best machines aroud imo are mechanical top loaders, like Whirlpool, Westinghouse - both American brands originally. Although they are usually quite large - approx. 10kgs.

The days of electro mechanical timer washing machines is gone, very few now are non electronic.

Indeed

Yes, mechanical is way out numbered because the manufacturers want to make the machines like most appliances - break down within 5 years with a warranty for 1 or 2 years.

Whirlpool mechanical is available at Siam TV for example - about 24-30,000 for a large one.

Must be a top of the line model top-loader as I haven't seen it around yet :D

Actually, you will find that in the lower price ranges the tubs of twin tub machines (top loaders) are nearly all made of plastic, we are talking about prices between Baht 5K and 15k. Just walk around Tesco/Carrefour/Big C/Makro/PowerBuy etc. I have had two washing machines in about 20 years, the first was a Hitachi and the current one is an LG. I threw away the Hitachi, not because it broke down but because the outside casing had rusted through and it had become a serious liability. The current machine is about 7 or 8 years old. Both have plastic tubs and single inlets for cold water only. For the very reason that the tubs are plastic I would not use hot water, even if they didn't have a sticker telling me not to. :)

If you want to spend more than that on a washing machine please feel free to do so but I do not see the point of forking over a fortune to get a machine with a stainless steel tub which gets clothes no cleaner than my el cheapo twin tub (probably the most popular type of washing machine in Thailand after hand wash). Obviously, if you want the machine to be the center piece of your living room then go ahead and splash out for the latest technology, but my washing machine is out of sight and is not on view to guests.

And, I do not cool my water before using it. I have the choice of taking water directly from the mains, which is cool, or my water tank which is in the shade for a reason.

Personally, I would go with a sensibly priced top loader and spend the savings on something more fun. I would also forget about the hot water. As someone mentioned, the detergents are pretty good nowadays and in any case the vast majority of detergents for use with washing machines in Thailand are developed specifically for use with cold water (luke warm if your water comes from the roof), so you would not be gaining any benefit using hot water.

Actually, you will find that in the lower price ranges the tubs of twin tub machines (top loaders) are nearly all made of plastic, we are talking about prices between Baht 5K and 15k. Just walk around Tesco/Carrefour/Big C/Makro/PowerBuy etc. I have had two washing machines in about 20 years, the first was a Hitachi and the current one is an LG. I threw away the Hitachi, not because it broke down but because the outside casing had rusted through and it had become a serious liability. The current machine is about 7 or 8 years old. Both have plastic tubs and single inlets for cold water only. For the very reason that the tubs are plastic I would not use hot water, even if they didn't have a sticker telling me not to. :)

If you want to spend more than that on a washing machine please feel free to do so but I do not see the point of forking over a fortune to get a machine with a stainless steel tub which gets clothes no cleaner than my el cheapo twin tub (probably the most popular type of washing machine in Thailand after hand wash). Obviously, if you want the machine to be the center piece of your living room then go ahead and splash out for the latest technology, but my washing machine is out of sight and is not on view to guests.

And, I do not cool my water before using it. I have the choice of taking water directly from the mains, which is cool, or my water tank which is in the shade for a reason.

Personally, I would go with a sensibly priced top loader and spend the savings on something more fun. I would also forget about the hot water. As someone mentioned, the detergents are pretty good nowadays and in any case the vast majority of detergents for use with washing machines in Thailand are developed specifically for use with cold water (luke warm if your water comes from the roof), so you would not be gaining any benefit using hot water.

I agree with mostly all of what you say. But there are a number of reasons why a front loader is just plain better. As stated above. They are a lot more gentle on your clothes. That is a very big factor. They do give a better more efficient wash, whilst using a hel_l of alot less power and water. In Australia where water is scarce and electricity costs are soaring they are becoming a 'must have'.

But the main thing, when stacked up against a Twin Tub is that they are less ManPower Intensive. I used twin tubs alot when I was young, what a pain in the arse. it is the 21Century and the last thing I want to do these days is slave over a hot washing machine all day. Transferring clothes from one tub to the other, load by load, just a waste of good drinking time. Plus, your socks do not emerge from the wash 2 feet long wrapped tightly around your other garments!

I have a modestly priced LG front loader. Not too many 'bells and Whistles', one good feature is the Timer Function. I can set it before I go to bed and just get up andjust hang it out. No work involved!

But then it all becomes irrelevant if you don't do it yourself. In that case just do it the traditional way and get your Missus a large flat rock.

I agree with mostly all of what you say. But there are a number of reasons why a front loader is just plain better. As stated above. They are a lot more gentle on your clothes. That is a very big factor. They do give a better more efficient wash, whilst using a hel_l of alot less power and water. In Australia where water is scarce and electricity costs are soaring they are becoming a 'must have'.

But the main thing, when stacked up against a Twin Tub is that they are less ManPower Intensive. I used twin tubs alot when I was young, what a pain in the arse. it is the 21Century and the last thing I want to do these days is slave over a hot washing machine all day. Transferring clothes from one tub to the other, load by load, just a waste of good drinking time. Plus, your socks do not emerge from the wash 2 feet long wrapped tightly around your other garments!

I have a modestly priced LG front loader. Not too many 'bells and Whistles', one good feature is the Timer Function. I can set it before I go to bed and just get up andjust hang it out. No work involved!

But then it all becomes irrelevant if you don't do it yourself. In that case just do it the traditional way and get your Missus a large flat rock.

Okay, I admit it, if I were in the UK where water is much more expensive than here, or in Australia where there is a very real need to be frugal (no idea about water costs), I would definitely go with the machines that use less water. If that is a front loader then so be it. Also point noted about transferring washing between tubs (often wondered why the elastic in my socks seems to wear out so quickly and now I know). Maybe I will have to reconsider 4 years down the line when I need a new washer. I may have to go with a single tub top loader. :D

When I was living with my missus here (25 years ago), both her and her Nong Sao were still using a flat rock and tub to do our washing. Later, after arriving in Australia, I got home from work one day to find my wife had placed my No. 1 Blue Suit (with Gold Badges Etc) in the Top Loading Simpson MiniMax with the water setting on boiling hot.

Once dried, I could have almost fitted it on a garden Gnome!

After x many pages on this topic I guess the only way to solve it once and for all it to have a competition to see whose machine works the best.

To enter the competition, please PM your address and phone number to register. Competition is only open to the first 52 registrants so hurry and register!!!

For the next 52 weeks, I will send all my dirty laundry including underwear by messenger to your house and will give you two days to clean it to the best of your ability and return it to me ironed. There is no cost to enter but feel free to slip me a 500 Baht note in one of the pockets when returning your entry.

At the end of the year I will post the results with photos.

The winner will have the privilege of saying they won the first annual "I have the best washing machine on TV".

Competition begins immediately.

After x many pages on this topic I guess the only way to solve it once and for all it to have a competition to see whose machine works the best.

To enter the competition, please PM your address and phone number to register. Competition is only open to the first 52 registrants so hurry and register!!!

For the next 52 weeks, I will send all my dirty laundry including underwear by messenger to your house and will give you two days to clean it to the best of your ability and return it to me ironed. There is no cost to enter but feel free to slip me a 500 Baht note in one of the pockets when returning your entry.

The winner will have the privilege of saying they won the first annual "I have the best washing machine on TV".

Well, that counts me out. As I said earlier, I gave up ironing. I don't own an iron or an ironing board and won't have them in the house. I have outsourced ironing, to help the local economy.

So now we are in the ladies forum you join the discussion :)

I cant believe that in a mainly male frequented Forum a thread about washing machines gets 3 pages. Whats next, ironing boards? And that in a Country where Woman of the easy virtue go and clean your apartment in the morning :)

I cant believe that in a mainly male frequented Forum a thread about washing machines gets 3 pages. Whats next, ironing boards? And that in a Country where Woman of the easy virtue go and clean your apartment in the morning :)

And I can't believe you are reading it and making comment, can't your 'washing machine' type in English?

I still do almost all my own domestic work, lest I become something I have always hated.

It's a machine so of course we take interest in it for at least the first day or 2.

And I can't believe you are reading it and making comment, can't your 'washing machine' type in English?

I still do almost all my own domestic work, lest I become something I have always hated.

something you have always hated, what is that someone with clean clothes and house who provides a monthly income for a hardworking single mother?

i see my mistake now. i am truly reprehensible.