Washing Machine In Thailand Front Or Top Loader?

rjhklein

My personal experience...top loaders with the middle rotater tend to be rough...my t-shirts would be out of shape. Front loaders appear to be gentler as it merely rotates, let the clothes fall and rotate again, without the middle bit pulling on clothes. Front loaders use less water (unless the newer front loaders have changed recently), gives option of cold/hot wash. A poster mentioned you can't pop in clothes if you forget to put them all in at first with a front loader....well, mine has a "delay" function....so I turn on and it will only start in say 1/2 hour so plenty of time to see if I had forgotten anything before it starts up :)

Oh, i also find top loaders uses less detergent...like 1 level scoop is enough for a very full load. Mind you, the disadvantage is you need to get specially formulated detergent for front loaders as it is apparently not good to use regular detergent.

Another good reply. I had a top loader before, my white shirts, never seemed to be white, have as front loader now, a Direct Drive LG (with 10 year guarantee), with almost any setting you could imagine, and my white shirts, are now very white. It could just be that thais like there style, and just do not want to lose face, on a basic concept!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to make any recommendations, but just report our experience.

We have been using a front loader from Electrolux for over 7 years. It's used daily and never ever failed.

Granted, it was expensive initially, but my SIL at about the same time, bought a cheap machine and had to replace it twice since.

Another advantage of a front loader is that we were able to put a tumbler/dryer on top.

I bought my no-name Japanese Brand top loader second hand off a mate for 5k including a Panasonic Convection Microwave.

Been using the washer for 2 years now without an issue (touch wood). Whites come really white with a lil bleach. Use the Essence Liquid Machine Detergent and Comfort fabric softener which is very nice.

Subsequently sold the Microwave for 6k (had one already and have a real oven).

My personal experience...top loaders with the middle rotater tend to be rough...my t-shirts would be out of shape. Front loaders appear to be gentler as it merely rotates, let the clothes fall and rotate again, without the middle bit pulling on clothes. Front loaders use less water (unless the newer front loaders have changed recently), gives option of cold/hot wash. A poster mentioned you can't pop in clothes if you forget to put them all in at first with a front loader....well, mine has a "delay" function....so I turn on and it will only start in say 1/2 hour so plenty of time to see if I had forgotten anything before it starts up :)

Oh, i also find top loaders uses less detergent...like 1 level scoop is enough for a very full load. Mind you, the disadvantage is you need to get specially formulated detergent for front loaders as it is apparently not good to use regular detergent.

Another good reply. I had a top loader before, my white shirts, never seemed to be white, have as front loader now, a Direct Drive LG (with 10 year guarantee), with almost any setting you could imagine, and my white shirts, are now very white. It could just be that thais like there style, and just do not want to lose face, on a basic concept!

The 10 year warranty is only for the motor which is highly unlikely to fail, some have had problems with the sensor on the motor, but it is not actually the motor. Direct drive is nice though, very quite, no belts, no brushes to wear out no screaming like a jet on spin.

First ever washing machine was a front loader - had to be repaired numerous times for leaking, inconvenient in terms of not being able to add extra items, also didn't really clean all that well.

Second machine, twin tub - too much manual work.

Third and fourth machines - top loaders: a. Was a H......, never again, controls too difficult, small doors to add detergent and softener always semed to be in the most difficult to access locations, also leak problems. b. was a S......, never again, same comments as item a.

Since owned 5 LG top loaders (across several properties). Never had and problems whatever with any of these machines. Easy to use, inlets for detergent and softener easy to access, clothes always very clean.

LG for me!

I've never used a front loading washing machine in my life. Dryers yes, Washing machines, no.

Even in the states absolutely everything is top loading. Properly loaded, the clothes automatically distribute themselves and the drum balances easily. Much more robust and forgiving than the bearings necessary to handle the forces on a front load design. I just can't see why anybody has a problem with this style. Bacteria? Hot water? Get serious. These have nothing to do with the direction of gravity when you load the clothes.

Hot water is not necessary. For whites, which are typically washed in hot water, adding a little bleach to warm water accomplishes the same thing.

My top loader here in LOS was an inexpensive Samsung brand. Only about 8k. It has been working day in and day out for almost 10 years. Has yet to give me even a single problem. I've been shocked at how reliable that thing is. Has survived the move to 5 different houses. I'll probably wind up leaving it to my children in my will.

I'll be extremely disappointed if it ever breaks, but I won't hesitate to buy another one in a heartbeat. No reason to pay twice as much for a front loader just because you think it looks cool. There are millions of people in the states who have probably never even seen a front loading washing machine in person.

I remember seeing one on television when I was a kid and I thought it was a novelty.

Top loaders are just fine the world over, and hot water is totally unnecessary.

Top loaders sold in Thailand are generally of the Japanese type with no center rotor and depend on water action for agitation. Very gentle on clothing. We do an average of 3 loads a day every day of the week (family of ten) using a Hitachi 12kg unit that has been going for years without a problem. Wife would never consider a front loader for herself or for maid. It has been top loaders for the last 30 years.

We live up north and in the dry season regularly have no running water during the day. This is not really a problem as we have a huge water holder for showers, washing etc etc. but we wouldn't be able to wash clothes with a front loader as they are plumbed into mains water.

So top loader as we have no choice. Do you always have running water?

Always during travelling I was more or less "forced" to use top loaders, my clothes did wear a lot that is for sure. After coming home I washed everything again, to get it clean this time.

Top loaders are nice when you are in a hurry, but if you want to wear a normal white shirt instead of a yellowish one, use a front loader, and that doesn't have to be at 95 degrees.

We just purchased our 3rd top loader since moving here 16 years ago. The unit we had still works fine but we bought the new GE one for 9990 baht cause it was such a good bargain. We have a 80 liter water heater which supplies all faucets with hot water but since the machine only has a cold water connection we have to add hot water manually. I usually use hot water for the first cycle and then let it finish using the automatic connection.

We considered getting a front loader cause they had one for a good price but don't like having to bend over a get the clothes out plus since we already have hot water installed then not necessary to get one with a heater.

Back here in Euroland in the late 90's everybody had top loaders, but later everybody switched to front loaders. Why? The just wash better and use less water. It's not a Euro thing, it's a time difference thing. Thailand is just back in time.

And bending over? I mean, common even my granny can grab it out.

I've never used a front loading washing machine in my life. Dryers yes, Washing machines, no.

Even in the states absolutely everything is top loading....

You probably haven't shopped for one in the states for a while. Front loaders are big now. Maybe 2 years ago there seemed to be only a few, but I just pulled up Best Buy and they are showing 81 different front loaders.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Washers-Washin...id=abcat0910002

Front loader donot shut door after use because it will stink, all of the water is not pumped out.

Bought the girlfriend a new washer in April at Tesco I believe it was a Hitachi 10.5 kg but not all of the bells and whistles for abot 10,000baht her and the kids are happy no more going to laundry mat and is saving her money. It ia a top loader, the front loaders donot even get a look

Back here in Euroland in the late 90's everybody had top loaders, but later everybody switched to front loaders. Why? The just wash better and use less water. It's not a Euro thing, it's a time difference thing. Thailand is just back in time.

I didn't say i couldn't bend over but its much faster and easier to take the clothes from the top and hang them up on the line to dry. With a front loader you would have to put all the clothes in a basket first. Otherwise i would be dropping them on floor. Just seems like extra work plus more expensive.

I didn't say i couldn't bend over but its much faster and easier to take the clothes from the top and hang them up on the line to dry. With a front loader you would have to put all the clothes in a basket first. Otherwise i would be dropping them on floor. Just seems like extra work plus more expensive.

Mostly the dryer is on top of the front loader, so you can easily pick it out and put in there, you can do one by one or two, I mean picking it empty, how much does it take, 1 minute? :) In LOS there's plenty of time..

I guess you have to consider space availability also. Top loaders are great is you have adequate space.

I would also caution against electronic machines. Electronics and water are just not a good combination.

The best machines aroud imo are mechanical top loaders, like Whirlpool, Westinghouse - both American brands originally. Although they are usually quite large - approx. 10kgs.

I guess you have to consider space availability also. Top loaders are great is you have adequate space.

I would also caution against electronic machines. Electronics and water are just not a good combination.

The best machines aroud imo are mechanical top loaders, like Whirlpool, Westinghouse - both American brands originally. Although they are usually quite large - approx. 10kgs.

The days of electro mechanical timer washing machines is gone, very few now are non electronic.

The days of electro mechanical timer washing machines is gone, very few now are non electronic.

Indeed

"Maytag have gone out of business because their quality turned to crap, google maytag neptune for example."

Maytag has not gone out of business. The company was purchased by, and is now a division of, Whirlpool. The Neptune front-load washer was a disaster, without a doubt.

So what about if you have a toploader that runs on 'cold' water from the regular tap only?

Can you install a regular shower waterheater or even a small boiler and link that warm to hot water into the washing machine???

Can the machine handle that as it seems to handle the warm water from the tap or watertank??

Back to the topic. Way back in the Neterlands where toploaders were hard to find at the time. the local washing machine retailer always advised toploaders as for wear and tear they would do better just having the spinner in the upright position and not hanging as in front loaders. I used there frontloaders of the years and with all three I had small issues and they were OK brands like AEG and Whirlpool, in Thailand for 7 years using a cold water top-loader never a problem and am going to buy a top-loader again this year....

So what about if you have a toploader that runs on 'cold' water from the regular tap only?

Can you install a regular shower waterheater or even a small boiler and link that warm to hot water into the washing machine???

Can the machine handle that as it seems to handle the warm water from the tap or watertank??

Back to the topic. Way back in the Neterlands where toploaders were hard to find at the time. the local washing machine retailer always advised toploaders as for wear and tear they would do better just having the spinner in the upright position and not hanging as in front loaders. I used there frontloaders of the years and with all three I had small issues and they were OK brands like AEG and Whirlpool, in Thailand for 7 years using a cold water top-loader never a problem and am going to buy a top-loader again this year....

Interesting point. I am also thinking about installing a water heater as well. I happen to work for Stiebel Eltron where we make these water heaters.

I haven't installed one at my laundry machine yet but I think this might just improve the cleaning capability of the machine. In the earlier post we saw why heated water can clean better.

If you would install a water heater I would suggest you would use a multi point unit. These unit are made to work under pressure. My washing machine happens to be next to the pump where the pressure is around 3 bar. The multi point are tested for 10 - and 12 bar so this should be perfectly suitable. We make them also according to IP 25 splash proof so it can hold out a fair amount of water (in case you would like to install it outside where your laundry machine is).

I will do some testing at home and see what would be the best to use. At the moment I would either go for the the DHCE or the DHA:

http://www.stiebeleltronasia.com/showserie...roducttypeid=44

Any additional feedback and suggestion are welcome.

If you would install a water heater I would suggest you would use a multi point unit. These unit are made to work under pressure. My washing machine happens to be next to the pump where the pressure is around 3 bar. The multi point are tested for 10 - and 12 bar so this should be perfectly suitable. We make them also according to IP 25 splash proof so it can hold out a fair amount of water (in case you would like to install it outside where your laundry machine is).

I will do some testing at home and see what would be the best to use. At the moment I would either go for the the DHCE or the DHA:

http://www.stiebeleltronasia.com/showserie...roducttypeid=44

Any additional feedback and suggestion are welcome.

I was more thinking about using the water heater that usually can be built under the sink in the kitchen, small unit and watertempetrature can be adjusted (for laundry purposes) and flow is not too strong/hard....

Not sure if Siebel makes those thingies

I have my washing machine in a wet room next to the kitchen

And I would still look for the one point entry washing machine as multi points are harder to get...and they are more expensive

Edited by jumbo

... You could buy 3 or 4 LG's for the price of say a Meile, I'm not bagging them just they cost so much more.

Niente Soldi - Niente Miele

rough translation for non-italian speaker : No Money - No Honey

yes it can be applied to the washing machines too, especially "Miele". :)

Am I dense and missing something. If a washing machine only has a cold water inlet and no internal heater, doesn't that tell you something. Such as, the machine was designed to use only cold water and that by using hot water in a machine that is not designed for it may not be a good idea????