Where Is The Best Meal Deal In Town?

SamSipEt

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big sandwich. 

Why can't it be called a 'roll', 'sandwich' or 'Baguette' then? Sub seems such a strange word.

In England they were called submarine sandwiches, for obvious reasons. Sub is an abbreviation.

I'm English. I've never heard that!!!!! Learn everyday, huh?

A big sandwich.

Why can't it be called a 'roll', 'sandwich' or 'Baguette' then? Sub seems such a strange word.

How about a bomber, grinder, hero, hero sandwich, hoagie, hoagy, Italian sandwich, poor boy, torpedo? These are other names for a submarine type sandwich. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

In England they were called submarine sandwiches, for obvious reasons. Sub is an abbreviation.

In Northern England, we called them a 'nudger', which , according to the Urban Dictionary, is defined as ..

"To have an erection. Derived from the increased prominence of the penis when it is erect and ability to poke a women's leg if they are in close proximity." :)

I'm not sure if it qualifies for best deal status, but I am so hooked on Butter is Better's baked goods that I hardly ever skip a day and they are a deal when one considers the quality of the food.

However, the Duke's rib dinner and the Superman breakfast at meat lovers Pun Pun and the veggie buffet at Zoe in Yellow must all be in the running for best deals in town.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you take the quality of the "beer" into concideration, 60B small bottle is high, if the place is nice or there is entertainment then thats an ok price. I think Darets is good deal for some farang food. They make a great club sandwich for 60B. Their beer prices are very cheap, last I checked the dreaded beer Chang was 50 for the large bottle.

"Darets" owners/staff (still) are very fanatic and extreme supporters of the Red Shirts. That's why many of my friends and myself don't want to go there anymore.

In Northern England, we called them a 'nudger', which , according to the Urban Dictionary, is defined as ..

"To have an erection. Derived from the increased prominence of the penis when it is erect and ability to poke a women's leg if they are in close proximity." :)

Super stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! These are the kind of posts that are needed around here!

To the OP,

I knew about the Olde Bell doing 'free' buffet if you spend so much on drinks (250baht?), but I wasn't aware of the unconditional free buffets. Do people go to such places and order, say a Coke, and fill their boots on food? I wonder how many return when the freebies aren't on. Interesting idea to build up business, but not so if too many Freeloaders turn up for the freebies, and don't become regulars.

The OP was correct - we put the BBQ in for free - no minimum spend. There's another one tonight (Friday 18th) starting in about an hours time. At this time of year, I figure - if no-one wants to buy it, I might as well give it away!

To the OP,

I knew about the Olde Bell doing 'free' buffet if you spend so much on drinks (250baht?), but I wasn't aware of the unconditional free buffets. Do people go to such places and order, say a Coke, and fill their boots on food? I wonder how many return when the freebies aren't on. Interesting idea to build up business, but not so if too many Freeloaders turn up for the freebies, and don't become regulars.

The OP was correct - we put the BBQ in for free - no minimum spend. There's another one tonight (Friday 18th) starting in about an hours time. At this time of year, I figure - if no-one wants to buy it, I might as well give it away!

Spoken like someone with one foot out the door. Freebies attract the wrong type of crowd.

In agreement somewhat with GetGoin.

While "free" will draw numbers, it wont keep the place open......and somewhat with MWF ..... a certain amount of give-a-way will generate some good business and hopefully repeats. Now as the great spirits would have it,,,,,,, just today I had to mention to a shortly to be departing guest, that the sign out front did not say 'Salvation Army" ..... in my own polite way of course....

Shades of the great Kevin, but there was a discussion about water and should it be free or not...... after the 3rd bottle, and the not eating breakfast in our restaurant, but bringing in their own MREs..... somekind of vego thing that allllllll you [read WE ] have to do is put the foil bag in some hot water then put it on a plate......... and all to be at no charge of course.... So boys and girls , it takes all kinds..

It was not as bad as and I may have told some of you this before,,,,,,,, some few years ago had another couple of cheap charlenes who I wouldnt rent as our prices were not cheap enough......as they were walking down the street mumbling, I hollered after them ..." Hey , do you know what a 500 pound canary sounds like ????

Cheep ! ! !

But generally most people understand that there are certain things that you can do and certain things you can't..... the customer looks to get the best deals, and the merchant tries to give as much as possible for good will and good business, but still has to maintain a profitable business. People will come to one place for a while then go on to another ...... and if you have been fair and good to them, the will also remain a customer with maybe less frequency...

The whole Pun Pun (meat lovers) restaurant is one big meal deal with a fascinating and amusing host. It is just a little out of the way.  :)

Whose way ????

What Way ????

The best way ????? The Pun Pun..... Now located on Pun Pun Way

gotta go now..... elbows deep into the meatloaf making....... with Franks N Beans for desert..... Just like a real " UG " Meal

:D:D

Gonzo

...ooops forgot to mention F & B with the French Bread Garlic toast..... best FB in CM from my friends at the Crusty Loaf

One thing that I really appreciate about both Pun Pun and the Duke's is that they do not skimp on portions. A few fairly expensive places around town serve tiny drinks and small portions with a big price so that customers will have buy more of something else. For example, Fuji (Japanese food) only sells about a little 6 ounce Coke - a can is about 12 ounces - and it is not cheap and they stopped ordering average bottles of cold green tea and only order very small ones that are not enough for most people. I really resent having to order two expensive drinks when I am already spending quite a sum for sushi. The Duke's serves all the fresh, real ice tea you can drink at a cheaper price (and the owner is more fun than a lot of other places)! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

One thing that I really appreciate about both Pun Pun and the Duke's is that they do not skimp on portions. A few fairly expensive places around town serve tiny drinks and small portions with a big price so that customers will have buy more of something else. For example, Fuji (Japanese food) only sells about a little 6 ounce Coke - a can is about 12 ounces - and it is not cheap and they stopped ordering average bottles of cold green tea and only order very small ones that are not enough for most people. I really resent having to order two expensive drinks when I am already spending quite a sum for sushi. The Duke's serves all the fresh, real ice tea you can drink at a cheaper price (and the owner is more fun than a lot of other places)! :)

I agree, there are pubs and restaurants around town, that give dinky portions with wilted lettuce and cucumber surrounding the plate to make it look big. I know a lot of them and avoid them like the plague.

However, there are some as UG mentions above that don't skimp and fill the plate with what you actually order. Some even give you a decent side salad to go with your meal, instead of trying to make the plate look full.

To the OP,

Awww... why didnt I check the forums yesterday... :) When's the next one? I'll make the trip into town then. lol

I would suggest Pratties behind rimping on the highway. Good food, very clean and not expensive by any means. No alcohol served as far as I know but I'm sure we all can manage at least one meal without beer lol. Breakfast is very good as is the Lasagne!

U.N. Has always been good as well in my opinion and not really that expensive considering the quality.

If all else fails and you can't be bothered to travel ... 1112 always delivers the goods tongue.gif

I second the vote for Praties. The owner, has been a cook for many years both in England and Australia and I do think he may well have the nicest and most authentic English fish & chips in the city to be honest. The staff are very friendly and the food is excellent value. It's well worth taking a scoot out of town centre to try this place.

I would suggest Pratties behind rimping on the highway. Good food, very clean and not expensive by any means. No alcohol served as far as I know but I'm sure we all can manage at least one meal without beer lol. Breakfast is very good as is the Lasagne!

U.N. Has always been good as well in my opinion and not really that expensive considering the quality.

If all else fails and you can't be bothered to travel ... 1112 always delivers the goods tongue.gif

I second the vote for Praties. The owner, has been a cook for many years both in England and Australia and I do think he may well have the nicest and most authentic English fish & chips in the city to be honest. The staff are very friendly and the food is excellent value. It's well worth taking a scoot out of town centre to try this place.

Where exactly is it? Can some or Dave.. do the map with an arrow showing me where it is? lol

Where exactly is it? Can some or Dave.. do the map with an arrow showing me where it is? lol

Praties is next to Rimping-supermarket, at Mee Ckok Plaza, on the junction of the 2nd-Ring-Road & the road out to Mae-Jo/Phrao.

I too would recommend Pun-Pun & The Duke's, for both the food, and the friendly welcome of their respective owners, well-worth trying if you're new in-town. :)

To the OP,

Spoken like someone with one foot out the door. Freebies attract the wrong type of crowd.

I don't have a foot out [of] the door, I have put on free meal deals during the low season for the past 2 years and they serve to stimulate business.

There'll be a free BBQ again on Wednesday from 7pm whcih will go on throguh the England game. I make it clear in advertising that you have to be a customer - which implies that you do need to be buying drinks. So far no one has abused the offer and the free food has been enjoyed by all and hashelped create a nice atmosphere during the World Cup.

We're also running a number of main meal offers at 125 baht including Pork Steak, Onion Gravy, mash and veg (which tastes a lot better than the one in Makro Hang Dong - I know I've tried it!!), Shepherd's Pie, Baners and Mash, Beef and Onion Stew plus Aubergine Parmigiano or Veggie Vindaloo for non meat types.

When people haven't got much cash you have to drop prices and put on freebies to keep your regulars happy and attract new customers.

To the OP,

I don't have a foot out [of] the door, I have put on free meal deals during the low season for the past 2 years and they serve to stimulate business.

There'll be a free BBQ again on Wednesday from 7pm whcih will go on throguh the England game. I make it clear in advertising that you have to be a customer - which implies that you do need to be buying drinks. So far no one has abused the offer and the free food has been enjoyed by all and hashelped create a nice atmosphere during the World Cup.

We're also running a number of main meal offers at 125 baht including Pork Steak, Onion Gravy, mash and veg (which tastes a lot better than the one in Makro Hang Dong - I know I've tried it!!), Shepherd's Pie, Baners and Mash, Beef and Onion Stew plus Aubergine Parmigiano or Veggie Vindaloo for non meat types.

When people haven't got much cash you have to drop prices and put on freebies to keep your regulars happy and attract new customers.

a) Can you be a bit more specific?

Edited by uptheos

a) Can you be a bit more specific?

OK - Obviously you can't.

E.g. Would 2 or 3 Club Soda's qualify if a person doesn't drink alcohol, or would that be abusing the offer?

Edited by uptheos

Uptheos: Two or three 'club sodas' would be fine and you'd be welcome!

I'm not saying it's for me, but I appreciate your response.

It's clearer for TV members that don't drink alcohol.......are there any? :rolleyes:

E.g. Would 2 or 3 Club Soda's qualify if a person doesn't drink alcohol, or would that be abusing the offer?

Commonsense and a sense of fairness should be enough to answer your question. I'm off the booze at the moment so if I went to see Pedr on a night with a free buffet I would order something from the menu if I was hungry. I wouldn't feel justified in helping myself to a free buffet if I was only ordering two sodas. Tight-<deleted> and free-loaders  may feel differently.

O'malleys Irish pub has good food, Mad Dogs on Moon Meuang Rd has great food and the UN Irish also. Whilst not as cheap, Dukes is great and has the best steaks in town as far as I'm concerned and Casa Antonio's for Italian is always fantastic also. Spankys for the roast beef sandwiches.... The list is endless and depends what your hankering for!!!!!!!

O'malleys Irish pub has good food, Mad Dogs on Moon Meuang Rd has great food and the UN Irish also.  Whilst not as cheap, Dukes is great and has the best steaks in town as far as I'm concerned and Casa Antonio's for Italian is always fantastic also. Spankys for the roast beef sandwiches.... The list is endless and depends what your hankering for!!!!!!!

Whilst all those places serve very good food ,they don't  qualify for a 'best meal deal', here on ThaiVisa. Best-meal-deal means cheap with big portions,( less than 50 baht  - 100 baht, tops, if it includes a large Leo).  You're new here but you'll get used to the different terms and what they mean. Welcome aboard. ;)