Where Is The Best Meal Deal In Town?

SamSipEt

O'malleys Irish pub has good food, Mad Dogs on Moon Meuang Rd has great food and the UN Irish also. Whilst not as cheap, Dukes is great and has the best steaks in town as far as I'm concerned and Casa Antonio's for Italian is always fantastic also. Spankys for the roast beef sandwiches.... The list is endless and depends what your hankering for!!!!!!!

Not sure whether you've had a chance to get to The Olde Bell yet, Asiajohnny, but as you seem to have been to almost every other establishment in town, I'd like to invite you to pop in and look at our special offers. We've made a real effort to help ex pats who are struggling wiht the weak pound and Euro and would welcome your input on our efforts. Do introduce yourself!

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, my apologies for the oversight and also for the omitting to add the Olde Bell . However, I don't think that 60 Baht a beer is extortionate or that 100 Baht for a meal of decent quality, even excluding a "Large Leo and an ego massage" is over priced. If I am that strapped, I would have dinner and a beer at home.....I am sure it will take a while to get used to the terminology though... Many thanks....

Edited by Asiajonny

I like the seafood pasta's in the Pizza Company for 89bt- good value good place. The pizzas are quite good value also.

I think it difficult for the smaller places to compete on value and quality of the standard chains... the chains like Pizza Company, KFC, etc.

Yet it not really sooo cool to bring a date out to KFC.

Some great American Breaky's along Thapae Road. Most around 80bt and fills you up for the day.

I think the majority of us would not bother with the kitchen when you can walk down the road for a good Thai meal for $1. Often treat myself to Farang food however, unless out in countryside.

Also BBQ Fish is great for approx 30bt on the street.

I like the seafood pasta's in the Pizza Company for 89bt- good value good place. The pizzas are quite good value also.

I think it difficult for the smaller places to compete on value and quality of the standard chains... the chains like Pizza Company, KFC, etc.

Yet it not really sooo cool to bring a date out to KFC.

Some great American Breaky's along Thapae Road. Most around 80bt and fills you up for the day.

I think the majority of us would not bother with the kitchen when you can walk down the road for a good Thai meal for $1. Often treat myself to Farang food however, unless out in countryside.

Also BBQ Fish is great for approx 30bt on the street.

Yeah, but think of all that finger licking. ;)

If you like Thai food Chiang Mai is bargainville and loads of Thai places that serve very good food at cheap prices.

Mad Dog and Art Cafe's breakfasts are good.

O'malleys Irish pub has good food, Mad Dogs on Moon Meuang Rd has great food and the UN Irish also. Whilst not as cheap, Dukes is great and has the best steaks in town as far as I'm concerned and Casa Antonio's for Italian is always fantastic also. Spankys for the roast beef sandwiches.... The list is endless and depends what your hankering for!!!!!!!

The main thing that I don't like about Spankys is that they talk shit about their competitors when you visit there. I just want to eat my food and drink my beer, I don't want to pick sides in local rivalries.

I don't have a foot out [of] the door, I have put on free meal deals during the low season for the past 2 years and they serve to stimulate business.

There'll be a free BBQ again on Wednesday from 7pm whcih will go on throguh the England game. I make it clear in advertising that you have to be a customer - which implies that you do need to be buying drinks. So far no one has abused the offer and the free food has been enjoyed by all and hashelped create a nice atmosphere during the World Cup.

We're also running a number of main meal offers at 125 baht including Pork Steak, Onion Gravy, mash and veg (which tastes a lot better than the one in Makro Hang Dong - I know I've tried it!!), Shepherd's Pie, Baners and Mash, Beef and Onion Stew plus Aubergine Parmigiano or Veggie Vindaloo for non meat types.

When people haven't got much cash you have to drop prices and put on freebies to keep your regulars happy and attract new customers.

Awww not again! I always seem to not check TV and miss out on your specials :(

I don't have a foot out [of] the door, I have put on free meal deals during the low season for the past 2 years and they serve to stimulate business.

There'll be a free BBQ again on Wednesday from 7pm whcih will go on throguh the England game. I make it clear in advertising that you have to be a customer - which implies that you do need to be buying drinks. So far no one has abused the offer and the free food has been enjoyed by all and hashelped create a nice atmosphere during the World Cup.

We're also running a number of main meal offers at 125 baht including Pork Steak, Onion Gravy, mash and veg (which tastes a lot better than the one in Makro Hang Dong - I know I've tried it!!), Shepherd's Pie, Baners and Mash, Beef and Onion Stew plus Aubergine Parmigiano or Veggie Vindaloo for non meat types.

When people haven't got much cash you have to drop prices and put on freebies to keep your regulars happy and attract new customers.

Don't worry Yunnie! There'll be another FREE BBQ this Sunday from 7.30pm before we watch England stuff the Germans (As a Welshman, I can't believe I'm typing this!!) All Chiang Mai bar owners will be hoping England fire a few howitzers at Germany on Sunday, before going on the last 8 and getting in behind Argentine lines and defending hard won territory.

Well, I would like to recommend Brian's (of mikes burger fame a couple of years ago) new place on Kan Suan Kaew opposite the shell gas station called Soupasteak. I had chicken tarragon, cooked perfectly and really tasty, fries, nice salad and 2 pieces of good garlic bread all for 89B. Dont tell Brian but i would have paid more willingly (and I'm really khii niaw) it was that good.

Don't worry Yunnie! There'll be another FREE BBQ this Sunday from 7.30pm before we watch England stuff the Germans (As a Welshman, I can't believe I'm typing this!!) All Chiang Mai bar owners will be hoping England fire a few howitzers at Germany on Sunday, before going on the last 8 and getting in behind Argentine lines and defending hard won territory.

:ph34r::whistling::ph34r:

originating from germany i guess i don't need to bother showing up at your place-

at least not without an armored personnel carrier.

:ph34r::whistling::ph34r:

originating from germany i guess i don't need to bother showing up at your place-

at least not without an armored personnel carrier.

On the contrary, we had at least one German armed with nothing more than 2 flags from the Fatherland. Any way they wont beat the Argies!

• 2 weeks later...

Where exactly is it? Can some or Dave.. do the map with an arrow showing me where it is? lol

Praties is next to Rimping-supermarket, at Mee Ckok Plaza, on the junction of the 2nd-Ring-Road & the road out to Mae-Jo/Phrao.

I too would recommend Pun-Pun & The Duke's, for both the food, and the friendly welcome of their respective owners, well-worth trying if you're new in-town. :)

Actually it's at the 1st-Ring-Road (the Super Hwy does not count as a Ring Road). The road out to MaeJo/Phrao is also known as Hwy 1001 (Chiangmai-Maejo Rd.). Pratties is just behind Ring Ping Market. Mee Chok Plaza is on the North East corner of the intersection.

I just had the all meat pizza at Pratties and it is by far one of the best pizzas that I have had in Thailand. The meat and cheese were piled up and he added green olives to the mix. FANTASTIC! It's a small pizza, but with all of the toppings it fills you up. Plus, the price is only 120 baht. Very well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Never actually eaten at the "Bell" but would agree that one cannot knock it for its convival ambience and atmosphere.

Always have a nice chat with Khun Patron. :huh: on my regular sorties

When it come to a nosebag job however we tend to hangout in our local Thai "Ra-na han" in Maeon...long walk from Loy K.. whose food is particulary acceptable and the BiG Heinekins are 70Bt a throw....ice @ Bt5 a bucket but not really needed.

Would mention the name but ....never find it...so...MPR :o ...ahhhh

THeir Lasagne is good too. Obviously home made.

Large portion 120 baht with chips and salad.

I tried the lasagna at Praties last night and I completely agree. Fantastic. And if you don't want the fries and salad (the portion size of the lasagna is substantial) the price is reduced to 100 baht.

I also tried, on another occasion, the barbecued chicken and bacon pizza. It has now become my favorite at 120 baht. Brought one of my UK friends over to try the fish and chips at 120 baht. He said that they were just as good as in England for a fraction of the price.

Edited by venturalaw

I guess I am slow western food at discounted prices.

Answer

All over Thailand.:shock1:

And at most of the discounted places you get what you pay for. IMHO you're better off to eat cheap Thai food than cheap Western foods when in Thailand if quality versus money-spent is any part of the equation.. Daret's is about the only reasonable recommendation that I've seen in this thread - but that's not western food and even Daret's is probably is "expensive" compared to Thai places outside of the tourist district.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Answer

And at most of the discounted places you get what you pay for. IMHO you're better off to eat cheap Thai food than cheap Western foods when in Thailand if quality versus money-spent is any part of the equation.. Daret's is about the only reasonable recommendation that I've seen in this thread - but that's not western food and even Daret's is probably is "expensive" compared to Thai places outside of the tourist district.

There are places that serve very high quality western food at Thai prices. A Salad Concept on Nimmanhaemin at Soi 13 is a prime example. GREAT quality, low price. Also what I previously mentioned - Praties. Another place which has the best ribs in town is the Salsa Kitchen on Huay Kaew close to the Kad Suan Kaew mall - http://www.thesalsakitchen.com/. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced.

Answer

Over the last few months, a lot of western restaurants have been really slow.

Some have 'extensive' choices on the menu, sometimes with dishes that are not ordered regularly.

One wonders how long some of these dishes have been in the freezer?

Guest siamjourney

I agree with "venturalaw" that Salsa Kitchen on Huay Kaew is a great price/value restaurant. Besides the delicious ribs there really is nothing on the menu that disappoints. I'm partial to the Chicken Burritos myself. The plates are larger than most restaurants in CM not to impress but to allow enough space for all the food that is served. Everything tastes like it's prepared fresh (kind of the opposite of Bier Stube's Wiener Schnitzel) and should satisfy the next guy's post about restaurants with things coming out after storage in the freezer for too long. It's one of the only places I can think of in CM which I would still frequent even if the prices were increased a bit.

Salsa Kitchen is not very convenient for me in the new location, but I have always enjoyed it and the owner really is a swell guy. I got a chance to eat there the other day and tried their new burrito. It was good and so big that I could not finish it.

Their ribs were excellent in the past, but for some reason they changed the recipe. The good news is that they now carry both kinds and I hear that the "classic" ribs are as good as ever.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Salsa Kitchen is not very convenient for me in the new location, but I have always enjoyed it and the owner really is a swell guy. I got a chance to eat there the other day and tried their new burrito. It was good and so big that I could not finish it.

Their ribs were excellent in the past, but for some reason they changed the recipe. The good news is that they now carry both kinds and I hear that the "classic" ribs are as good as ever.

Yes, well said.

After an unpleasant experience at Miguels (on the moat) I discovered Salsa Kitchen some time ago and have had several very nice meals there.

Rgds

I do not think there is such a place that serves the best meal in town.

I prefer certain meals at specific places. If I fancy a steak, I choose my favorite restuarant that I think does the best steak. If I want a Pizza, I go to the restuarant that I consider does the best pizza and so on.

They are all good and it is all a matter of what you fancy at the time.

Edited by Beetlejuice