Grated Coconut

Hanlie

I should not be hard to find, I use to buy some at the big market on Pattaya Thai, It is used in all parts of Thailand.

I do not buy it anymore as my wife grates coconut at home , many times a week for her cooking, most used in making Thai sweets.

hope you can find it, dry flakes would be a little harder to find.

Good luck!

Cheers: :)

In many wet markets THROUGHOUT Thailand there usually exists someone with a business of squeezing the milk (water added) or cream (no water added). They then will typically give or trade away the grated leftover coconut to chicken farmers or others. You can get it for nothing or next to nothing from them. Ask around and the locals can point you in the direction of the local coconut guy... I use them frequently to make my own cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

dried grated coconut used in sweets is not the same thing as the leftovers from squeezing coconuts. Presumably OP wants to use the shredded dried coconut in cookies or on a cake. The stuff you are using is chicken food and has no real flavor left. It would be completely tasteless and rather nasty on a cake.

That said, OP is in Bangkok, I imagine you could try someplace like Villa . Will move the thread to the Bangkok forum so you can get local information.

Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime

His sister had another one, she paid it for a lime.

She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up

She put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up,

And said, "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?

I say, Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"

"Now let me get this straight ",

Put the lime in the coconut, you drank them both up

Put the lime in the coconut, you called your doctor, woke him up,

And say, 'Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,

I say, Doctor, doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say, Doctor, dooooctor, to relieve this belly ache?'

Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both together,

Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better,

Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up,

Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the morning

Wouh wouh wouh wouh wouh

Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime

His sister had another one, she paid it for a lime.

She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up,

She put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up,

Say "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say, Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say Doctor! let me get this straight".

You put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up,

Put the lime in the coconut, you such a silly woman!,

Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better.

Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both down

Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the morning

Woo Woo, ain't there nothin' you can take, I say

Woo Woo, to relieve my belly ache,

You say woo woo ain't there nothin' I can take, I say

Woo woo, to relieve your belly ache,

You say yah yah, ain't there nothin' I can take, I say

Waah waah, to relieve this belly ache,

I say doctor!, ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say Doctor!, you such a silly woman!,

Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better,

Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up,

Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the moooooorning,

Yes, you call me in the morning,

If you call me in the morning, then...

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all for your tips. I have been told my a friend that she has bought it in Villa, so I'll be heading that way.

Thanks!

Do you know where to get this product... "Desiccated Coconut"

This online snapshot from a Supermarket in Hong Kong and costs appros THB20 for 80 grams. (And, this in Hong Kong).

PL100558.jpg

I tried in Makro, Tesco, Careefour and Big C and none have it..

I haven't tried Villa (this is the first time I hear this supermarket name) ... do they have it? I live in Rama 3 area... so I could try the Silom store next time.. I found the location online.

In fact, I tried their online shop and found the product (close enough) through Google Translate..

http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/a34/showproduct1.php?productid=POD02&shopid=191423

It is way too expensive... THB100 for 100 grams.. And, it says it is sweet for cake.. But, we use it for cooking, etc (should not be any sweet flavour added).. If this is the only product they have.. then certainly I will not buy it due to cost and sweetness.

We are regular user of Desiccated Coconut.. and I know that I can get this product from Market Fresh... But, the problem is that the market where I go usually every two weeks in Silom... the shop closes quite early only till 9am or something. And, if I get there late.. there is no way to get it.

And, I prefer the packed ones so that I can keep for longer periods.. without any worry of it getting bad.

Please advise if there are any other choice to get a packed Desiccated Coconut.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Update on grated coconut.

I to find it surprising that such a fundamental ingredient to Thai cooking is so difficult to find. I tried at several top end supermarkets. No. I asked for dessicated (dried), frozen or fresh. All I could find was expensive dried in small packets (with glucose and in some cases preservatives added). I am told to go to traditional Thai wet markets. Perhaps Thai cooks would buy it only fresh?

I find it odd. In Singapore I buy it frozen--very convenient. In small town Malaysia I go a local corner store where the lad grates it fresh in front of my eyes. In Cambodia a lady at Phsar Thmei does it up fresh too.If memory serves me correctly, Philippines too. But in Thailand the shops have only over-processed -- a typically made into a drink.

According to both a Sri Lankan Tamil and a Malay Singaporean friend--their mothers say that grated cocoanut goes bad quickly and should be used within the day. This might explain why. I laugh when I see prepared coconut water in Canada and even here. Get the real McCoy!

BTW, fresh or even frozen grated cocoanut tastes fabulous in a fruit smoothie. I buy a virgin (coconut that is) on Sukhumvit, and use both the sweet wholesome water and meat. Yummy!

Edited by hermespan

• 5 months later...

As a Sri Lankan, new in BKK, was looking for decicated coconut to prepare the traditional Roti bread. In Sri Lanka it is grated fresh and mixed into the flour with a pinch of salt and baking powder before they are roasted in a hot pan. I love them warm for breakfast with salted butter and jam!

Unfotunately, this product is not available in Thailand. I was in the Villa supermarket round the corner and even the Manager shook his head!

I heard from a friend about an Indian store near Asoke who could have it.

Who knows where a DIY shop is in Bangkok where I can get screws, tools and building material under one roof.?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just at the cooking/baking supply shop located at the base of the ARI BTS station at the escalator on the Ari end and noticed they sell a Thai brand of unsweetened dessicated coconut. It's available in several size bags and costs about 260 baht per kilo. Their prices are reasonable on everything, so that must be the going rate. I guess it takes quite a few coconuts to get a kilo of shredded dried coconut.

post-3026-0-45697200-1377407775_thumb.jp

Edited by ricklev

It's easy to make your own desiccated coconut. Empty the juice from the coconut, then break it open and leave it to just dry off. Peel the flesh from the shell and grate it. Place the grated coconut onto a baking tray lined with a silicone baking sheet or grease proof paper (it must be a single layer of the coconut so each piece will cook correctly) and bake in the oven at 250 degrees for about 15 mins until just turning light brown.

I weigh mine into 100g or 70g portions (once it has cooled for my favorite recipes) pop it into freezer bags and freeze till required.

• 5 months later...

It can be found at most every Thai local market, I would be surprised if it wasn't sold. If you cannot find grated coconut in Thailand I suggest that you really need to get out a bit more (IMO).

Have you tried to go to a Thai local market with two small children...??????? Think before you just comment!!