Thai PM Abhisit Still Standing After Deadly Protests

webfact

He will stand forever, and will win the next, and next, and next election.

He will be our PM until the day he dies.

For that to happen, he first needs to win an election.

The only election he's stood in for PM so far he's lost.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who? What are you talking about? I see you're new, but make a comment the rest of us can understand.... :)

Who? What are you talking about? I see you're new, but make a comment the rest of us can understand.... :)

I don't see how it is hard to understand.

Abhisit so far has only participated in 1 General Election, the Thai General Election of 2007:

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2007

Samak won the election with 233 seats. Abhisit came in 2nd with 165 seats. We all know what happened after, with the coalitions and everything. That's not the point.

The point is that Abhisit has never won a General Election. That's what I meant in my original post.

Makes sense now?

Abhisit so far has only participated in 1 General Election, the Thai General Election of 2007:

Samak won the election with 233 seats. Abhisit came in 2nd with 165 seats. We all know what happened after, with the coalitions and everything. That's not the point.

The point is that Abhisit has never won a General Election. That's what I meant in my original post.

Makes sense now?

So what? Look at Thaksin, he's won lots of elections. Where is he now?

Makes sense now?

No. Doesn't make any sense. Thailand's democracy is parlimentarian. PM's are not elected by the general public. The parliamentarians are elected and they elect the PM. Just like England.

Puea Thai won 36% of MP seats....not enough to win the election. Democrats won 30% of MP seats...neither were enough to WIN the election. Puea Thai was able to put together a coalition...but after Samak and Somchai were individually ruled ineligible to be PM...Puea Thai could not hold their MP's together..... Bhumjai party pulled out...and joined the Democrats. And the new coalition, with over 50% of MPs....voted in Abhisit. All done by the legal and democratic election laws of the land. Abhisit and Democrats now lead a coalition that represents more than 50% of the duly elected parliamentarians. Puea Thai..without Bhumjai...could not get 50%.

Make sense now?

Edited by intothefuture

Makes sense now?

Actually it doesn't matter that Abhisit has never won a general election. Nor has Cameron in the UK but he's still Prime Minister.

It should be interesting, because from a number of people that I have spoken to from Red Shirt heartlands Khon Kaen / Udon Thnai / Nakhon Ratchisima have become quite disgusted by the actions of The Red shirts in Bangkok, and these were people who were previously very much supportive of Thaksin et al. I think the PTP may be complacent if they believe that people are just going to continue to accept the BS that they have been fed.

Exactly. I spent the last 3 weeks of the protests with the wifes family in a small village in Khon Kaen and I was suprised to see the number of people that were actually yellow supporters. Of course there were alot of hardcore reds whos minds will probably never change, but most of the people were just red sympathisers, and I know alot of them were completely discusted with the way the reds were behaving near the end. One woman walking by was braging about being on TV when the government building in Khon Kaen was set on fire. and the woman next door was yelling at her that her son was stuck in his apartment in Bangkok without food and water because of the reds actions.

It makes me laugh that the wife who used to love Taksin and argue with me about how good he is, now ironically hates him.

I highly suspect the PTP have lost alot of support and doubt they gained any in the last few months. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it.

No. Doesn't make any sense. Thailand's democracy is parlimentarian. PM's are not elected by the general public. The parliamentarians are elected and they elect the PM. Just like England.

Puea Thai won 36% of MP seats....not enough to win the election. Democrats won 30% of MP seats...neither were enough to WIN the election. Puea Thai was able to put together a coalition...but after Samak and Somchai were individually ruled ineligible to be PM...Puea Thai could not hold their MP's together..... Bhumjai party pulled out...and joined the Democrats. And the new coalition, with over 50% of MPs....voted in Abhisit. All done by the legal and democratic election laws of the land. Abhisit and Democrats now lead a coalition that represents more than 50% of the duly elected parliamentarians. Puea Thai..without Bhumjai...could not get 50%.

Make sense now?

Look at the person to who I initially responded. He suggested that Abhisit will win, win and win elections forever. I simply pointed out that Abhisit has never even won a general election.

Makes sense now?

When will you and other thick heads like you get it straight

Elections are in 2 parts

1st ....... vote by the people

2nd ....... Setting up a party, the party with the most MP's is the ruling Party

The PM is chosen by MP's not by the people directly

Hope this is the last time this needs to be said

Elections are in 2 parts

2nd ....... Setting up a party, the party with the most MP's is the ruling Party

He came to power legally when the MPs voted him in as an acceptible compromise when the pro-Thaksin party was disqualified. But you couldn't honestly say he was chosen by the largest number of voters to be their PM. And until he wins outright without the need for the court's intervention, he's always going to be seen as a caretaker with doubts about his legitimacy. Personally, I hope he manages it.

Well said - he also has many Farang votes (if we could) as he understands both West and East and a lot in between. Right now despite the PT stupidity of more wasted time and energy, he is strong and showing he is a survivor. He has many well wishers and a lot of support. :)

Well he hasn't much support from the foreigners with some better education and seen critical be almost all foreign media.

but, okay, in the international community of beer bar patrons and Thaksin haters he has bigger support. They also don't like election days, but for other reasons than Abhisit, they cannot vote and cannot buy beer.

He came to power legally when the MPs voted him in as an acceptible compromise when the pro-Thaksin party was disqualified.

The end justifies the meaning, isn't it.

If you apply this logic universally, Thaksin is problably a stateman. Since he won every major election in last decade.

This logic sounds silly as much as you stated Abhisit is righteously to stay in power.

I dont know how long it takes for people to realize this conflict is not just about persons but the system that isn't fair. And the law is heavily abused to serve only a group of people - no matter which group it is.

Elections are in 2 parts

He came to power legally when the MPs voted him in as an acceptible compromise when the pro-Thaksin party was disqualified. But you couldn't honestly say he was chosen by the largest number of voters to be their PM. And until he wins outright without the need for the court's intervention, he's always going to be seen as a caretaker with doubts about his legitimacy. Personally, I hope he manages it.

YOU DO NOT WISTEN

Voters do not vote in the PM

Voters vote in MP's

Thailand is a democratic country

and goes by democratic rules

all your opinions will not change this fact

Agh well Abhisit just survived the censure vote comfortably

comfortably?

old Samak got 280 votes of confidence, Abhisit got 246. only 6 more than half of the seats the parliament has.

+60 over against. It isnt a comparison. What Samak got in days of yore is irrelevent. It is a comfortable win in parliamentary terms in any country however you want to spin it. The coalition will be happy with this. The variance across ministers was only ten with a +40 being lowest versus against. In any country a majority of 40-60 is comfortable in anyones terms

We should now see some stability in government for a while

Edited by hammered

Well said - he also has many Farang votes (if we could) as he understands both West and East and a lot in between. Right now despite the PT stupidity of more wasted time and energy, he is strong and showing he is a survivor. He has many well wishers and a lot of support. :)

Well he hasn't much support from the foreigners with some better education and seen critical be almost all foreign media.

but, okay, in the international community of beer bar patrons and Thaksin haters he has bigger support. They also don't like election days, but for other reasons than Abhisit, they cannot vote and cannot buy beer.

And how would you know a person's educational level?

comfortably?

old Samak got 280 votes of confidence, Abhisit got 246. only 6 more than half of the seats the parliament has.

Yes, 57% of the vote is quite confortable

A rather elitist post, innit? You are sure you aren't Yellow?

comfortably?

With your friends the PT silenced for a while, Abhisit can continue his reconciliation process. Think positive Mazeltov!

We dont have to listen to Prime Minister Chalerm and his murdureous crew!

By the English (s)he speaks.

Elections are in 2 parts

I would be a little more careful if I were you before abusing others as "thickheads" because you are overlooking a very practical consideration.

I think most are very familiar with how parliamentary democracy works so you can keep your rather simple minded explanations to yourself.What you must not overlook however is that Abhisit has no mandate from the Thai people.It doesn't mean that he is not legitimate but over time it becomes more and more of an issue, just as it did with Gordon Brown in the UK.That's why he needs to seek a mandate, not necessarily immediately but as soon as it can be practically arranged.

Abhisit is frequently underestimated by all including us. Whatever people think of his polticvis few would disagree he is very very talented at playing the poltical game. When Abhisit came to power Chalerm said it was impossible for him to last 3 months.

The next election will be interesting and will largely decided on how coalition allies do rather than Democrats as it is the coalition allies who can eat into the PTP base. BJT will be aiming at Isaan and there is some specualtion that certain parts of PTP will defect to CTP. Needless to say a lot of money will be bunged around at sitting MPs to reatin or poach them

From what I see in the upper Northeast, BJT will struggle to pick up seats, as Thaksin's popularity is still riding high, for better or worse, and PTP are likely to capitalise on this. As you note though, there will no doubt be plenty of poaching and horse trading going on beforehand and some unlikely coalitions may be formed.

Was surprised to see that the New Politics Party now have an office in Khon Kaen, which is a bold and brave move on their part, given the often hostile atmosphere in this part of the world to things yellow.....

The upper North and upper Isaan are PTP/red/Thaksin heartlands but they represent only 20% or less of the electroate. The battle will be in the lower north, lower Isaan and a huge effort to poach powerful sitting central region PTP MPs. Right now the reds and/or Thaksin may still be demi-gods in the upper northern areas but what also miss is that everything form an eye opening to hatred towards tham has developed in some areas it didnt exist before. This means that to win in the upper north or upper Isaan an MP better be on team Thaksin but in other areas the exact opposite now apllies. That will see a strategic repositioning of MPs before the election if it doesnt change. Right now the coalition only have to hold their seats to win. PTP has to make gains and the simplistic all the poor and lower middle class vote PTP is as stupid an analysis now as it was even at the height of PTP.

I think the election wil be very interesting and will likely be called when Newin thinks the coalition will have its best opportunity to get a majority or workable or even big majority. To stand in an election people need to have been mebers of a party for 90 days and the election is only 45(?) days after the disolution so I guess we look for any MPs resigning parties when election speculation comes around or we look for a PTP disolution which is going to be pushed by certain extra-parlaimentary groups after the rioting, arson etc

comfortably?

With your friends the PT silenced for a while, Abhisit can continue his reconciliation process. Think positive Mazeltov!

We dont have to listen to Prime Minister Chalerm and his murdureous crew!

Maz is playing games again --- the PPP coalition was larger than the current coalition. People voted along party lines again.

Jayboy doesn't seem to notice that "mandate" doesn't mean the same thing --- Either Abhisit has a mandate because he represents more than 50% of the population through their elected MP's --- OR ---- no coalition government ever has a mandate :)

Leaving out that the small parties campaigned on the promise of not forming a government with PPP (meaning PPP never had a mandate) --- or that the BJT people will be reelected next term (extremely high probability) which means their choice NOT to join PTP isn't a real issue .....

I did get a kick out of jayboy chastising someone and then repeating the behavior he was criticising in the very same post :D

comfortably?

+60 over against. It isnt a comparison. What Samak got in days of yore is irrelevent. It is a comfortable win in parliamentary terms in any country however you want to spin it. The coalition will be happy with this. The variance across ministers was only ten with a +40 being lowest versus against. In any country a majority of 40-60 is comfortable in anyones terms

We should now see some stability in government for a while

'comfortable win, 'in any country' - now that is a spinmeister twist.

well, what counts is what the common people on the streets of Thailand will think about it.

They know Khun Somchai got the votes of 298 MPs to become the PM (Samak 310 MPs), Abhisit has the support of 246 MP.

Comfortably for the power clinging PM himself, but will the reds shirt accept that argument it is irrelevant how their favorite team once did?

With the prevailing 475 House seats, the government needs a minimum of 238 votes to defeat the censure. The coalition commands 275 House seats while the opposition has 200 votes

That means the PTP couldnt even get all their 200 MP's to vote for their motion and after all it was their motion and the onus of proof was on them.

Noticed today that jutaporn had a prison haircut... anticipation ?

What a fool he must be standing up there making an even bigger target of himself, dosent he think he's in enough trouble.

Abhisit, his party, and elites dont stand a chance against Thaksin in major election.

The only way to 'win' for them is to dissolve PueaThai party once again - I'm sure it's easy to find reason to do that.

And if they cant find, make one up. They did that before and it worked well. ;p

Are they able to spot the irony in the comment 'He will stand forever, ...'?

Are they concerned about the recent death or not or even happy about it?

Are they concerned about the media censorship or not or even happy about it?

Are they concerned about the arrest of academics or not or even happy about it?

Are they concerned about the restriction of civil rights or not or even happy about it?

The way people talk and argue, that gives you some conclusion about a person's educational background. And the way they ask questions too.