3 Friends Moving To Thailand

Gary100

we intend to have a significant "pot of money" from the uk when we go

Gary100, I'm not sure the UK will let you out through the borders with their ONLY 'pot of money' if indeed they have a pot at the end of this financial crisis.:)

I am with the crowd that would suggest, unless you come up with something really good OR land a corporate job, you should develop something BACK HOME that could provide you with an income, I'm not sure where any of the markets will be in 6 years time but even modest amounts of money invested in the right areas can provide comfortable exisitance here. Of course there are that many contributing factors it isnt funny. I have known people here that survived off the proceeds of one rental property OS & others that have lost small fortunes onshore here in Thailand.

My personal idea, is to only invest in Thailand what I can afford to walk away from. Probably the most GOLDEN rule for MONEY & BUSINESS in Thailand is, "A fool and his money are easily parted"

'neverdie' date='2010-06-09 13:02' timestamp='1276063338' post='3675443'Gary100' date='2010-06-02 19:44' timestamp='1275482677' post='3661655']

we intend to have a significant "pot of money" from the uk when we go

Gary100, I'm not sure the UK will let you out through the borders with their ONLY 'pot of money' if indeed they have a pot at the end of this financial crisis.:)

I am with the crowd that would suggest, unless you come up with something really good OR land a corporate job, you should develop something BACK HOME that could provide you with an income, I'm not sure where any of the markets will be in 6 years time but even modest amounts of money invested in the right areas can provide comfortable exisitance here. Of course there are that many contributing factors it isnt funny. I have known people here that survived off the proceeds of one rental property OS & others that have lost small fortunes onshore here in Thailand.

My personal idea, is to only invest in Thailand what I can afford to walk away from. Probably the most GOLDEN rule for MONEY & BUSINESS in Thailand is, "A fool and his money are easily parted"

The golden rule is "He who has the gold rules" , usually that is , in Thailand the ruling is done by a cavity between two appendages , no money pot , no honey pot .

QUOTE (Soutpeel @ 2010-06-02 11:36:03) I love it when people have a solid, well defined and well thought out plans

"We are considering Koh Chang, Koh Samui and Koh Phi Phi"

"intend to set up a bar/restaurant/hotelor as yet undetermined business"

Go for the Bar chaps a proven, cant fail business plan in Thailand...you going to make a fortune..!!!!...LOL

I'm one of the three going and I thought 90% of bars failed in thailand hence why we are considering different type of businesses and places in which to set. As two of us are trainee teacher we did intend to work here in the UK for several years and use that experience to begin teaching in an International School in thailand in about 6-8 yrs, with a view to investing in a business.

However now you've confirmed I can make a fortune opening a bar, anywhere in thailand I shall book my flights post haste and buy the cheapest establishment I can find sound in the knowledge I will be rich all because of your advice!

Alternatively I wont and you should note some people only list a small amount of their plans on here looking for some general guidance. We are not stupid, on the contrary some of us may even be deemed intelligent so just because we do not list every facet of what we intend to, do not presume we are naive about what we intend to do. So feel free to apologise and in meantime don't be so presumptious.

Have you ever lived in Thailand? Ah, no. Good luck with your plans. I'm sure I can make more growing sugar cane, than most tourist oriented business'. But the best of luck with your dream, which may become your nightmare... Sorry but my cynical side is coming out once again. The laws here won't protect you or your investment. Thailand is for Thais! Can you speak Thai?

QUOTE (Pallister500 @ 2010-06-02 22:04:16) So feel free to apologise and in meantime don't be so presumptious.

cheesy.gif .......yes miss..... I shall write it out a 1000 times or are you going to make me sit in the corner..do I get detention ??

Every forum has an arrogant tosser.......I suppose you are just that for this particular forum

I love the all knowing newbies! As we say: up to you! And I love the British know it all attitude. Why don't you come and live here for a few years before you want to part with your money. You may be singing a different tune. Sorry, maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but.... Get a clue! Now according to you I'm an arrogant tosser as well? Oh well, as I always say; I'd rather be a smart ass, than a dumb ass... But good luck...

So many times it has been said and proven , but still the uninitiated come forth to prove their own perceived plan of success , alas , alack Alan Adaire , the sheriff knows best , he has gold to proffer , we will take his offer , and off to the north in a cloud of dust , what , still no rain ???

In defence of the new 3 trolls from UK.

They did say they are trainee teachers in the UK presuming they are currently at uni doing a B.ed or have got their degree and are doing the PGCE certificate to be certified teachers..!

They can come here and drop straight into a job at any international school and if they get recruited from the UK they can be starting from 60k(minimum)- 100k per month with lots of added bonuses..

Maybe they just want some fun on the side so a beach side bar / restaurant would be easy to mangage / own from their teaching salaries...

We all know it would not make money and they would probably have to dip into their salary to fund it each month...but it would be a fun thing for a while....especially if they are young....

Nothing wrong with their dreams....

We all know it would not make money and they would probably have to dip into their salary to fund it each month...but it would be a fun thing for a while....especially if they are young....

Nothing wrong with their dreams....

I can't think of anything "fun" about managing a restaurant or a bar in Thailand. huh.gif Unless dealing with corruption, problematic staff, and all sort of other issues are considered "fun". huh.gif

Edited by thedistillers

I love the all knowing newbies! As we say: up to you! And I love the British know it all attitude. Why don't you come and live here for a few years before you want to part with your money. You may be singing a different tune. Sorry, maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but.... Get a clue! Now according to you I'm an arrogant tosser as well? Oh well, as I always say; I'd rather be a smart ass, than a dumb ass... But good luck...

No...........you're American.........no further explanation needed.

Was it you who posted an almost identical topic about a year ago ?

:) Maybe its the time of the year that OP dusts off his copy of "The beach" and he and his buddies light a joint lay back in their dorm room/squat or bedsit and start fantasising about opening a bar/restaurant etc in Thailand..

No...........you're American.........no further explanation needed.

So what? You're another arrogant Brit, that needs to grow up and get a clue. As you surely don't have one!laugh.gif Best of luck!