Thaksin Lawyers Probe Will Have Credibility Issues

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. I just came across Amsterdam's own response to the Nation Editorial - about which I pass no judgement.

http://www.robertamsterdam.com/2010/06/the..._the_nation.htm

These guys, Amsterdam and Knoobs, are on a PR campaign, nothing else. I had a look a the above website, it shows clearly they got nothing else to do than to probably distort the truth for money, at least that is what they attempt.

Poor Mr. Amsterdam. Get it wrong already in first sentence (government-controlled Thai newspaper) but interesting as he is already on defence strategy.

P.S. I just came across Amsterdam's own response to the Nation Editorial - about which I pass no judgement.

These guys, Amsterdam and Knoobs, are on a PR campaign, nothing else. I had a look a the above website, it shows clearly they got nothing else to do than to probably distort the truth for money, at least that is what they attempt.

Poor Mr. Amsterdam. Get it wrong already in first sentence (government-controlled Thai newspaper) but interesting as he is already on defence strategy.

People like Khun Thaksin live in a fantasy world in which they have their own version of events. It is this version that would have persuaded Mr Amsterdam to write his piece on his website. Unfortunately, from whichever political perspective it is viewed, it is riddled with errors. If this is the best that Khun Thaksin can do then he is indeed on a sticky wicket.

The main credibility interest is who is that the person paying is not a disinterested party and hence a lawyer becomes an advocate for an interested party. It isnt a neutral investigation as an investigation paid for by the government or army wouldnt be an independent one.

You could wonder, if the Nation (or more relevantly their controllers) feel that Thaksin's efforts lack credibility, why are they taking the trouble to attack? Are they worried that their own credibility might just be exposed on the world stage?

Not a fan of Thaksin by any means, but methinks the Nation doth protest too much.

Do you believe that the Nation's output is not controlled by a higher authority?

You could wonder, if the Nation (or more relevantly their controllers) feel that Thaksin's efforts lack credibility, why are they taking the trouble to attack? Are they worried that their own credibility might just be exposed on the world stage?

Not a fan of Thaksin by any means, but methinks the Nation doth protest too much.

--------

Do you believe that the Nation's output is not controlled by a higher authority?

Looks like the red smear attack on the Nation has moved up a notch.

That the Thaksin supporters (sorry...'not a fan of'....) have failed to stop the retreat on the page in lock-step with the retreat on the street.

This makes our red friends really angry.

So now they are reduced to crafty little side-swipes.

TV is also in their sights, but we know that.

Would that be Oscar Mayer and his kosher foods? :)

Yes, it is controlled by the Buddha and the Three Universal Truths. If you mean the government directly controls the newspapers, no, not in Thailand, that would be places like Singapore, Vietnam, and Burma where people live in a virtual government reality.

Yes they are somewhat biased, but if you want pure unapologetic bias, read the New Your Times or watch Fox news. Try both at the same time if you dare.

Spouting propaganda with terms like "freshly slaughtered", referring to the government as the "junta", "unelected PM". There is no way this guy will present an unbiased view of events. He said he "I stood witness to these exchanges from inside the red shirt encampment in the final days" referring to an exchange of talks about mediation. No mention made of the fact his client's puppets at first accepted the roadmap & then backtracked with silly demands which they knew would scuttle the roadmap.

IMO the objective right from the start of the protest was to promote anarchy & chaos with the aim to start a civil war if their demands were not met. One can view how the events escalated & were well orchestrated, something which cannot be done on the fly.

The Nation had the heated-tongs put to it by Thaksin during his time in office.

Including a Nation compound takeover by Proto redshirt Thaksin thugs,

and overt attempts to whole-sale intimidate advertisers away from the Nation.

The Nation doesn't need any direction from anywhere above to be 100% ANTI-Thaksin interests.

He created that situation by his paranoid and monomaniacal actions.

So why bother to imply there is some extra-directorial ordering from some un-named source.

It's just not necessary.

Spouting propaganda with terms like "freshly slaughtered", referring to the government as the "junta", "unelected PM". There is no way this guy will present an unbiased view of events. He said he "I stood witness to these exchanges from inside the red shirt encampment in the final days" referring to an exchange of talks about mediation. No mention made of the fact his client's puppets at first accepted the roadmap & then backtracked with silly demands which they knew would scuttle the roadmap.

IMO the objective right from the start of the protest was to promote anarchy & chaos with the aim to start a civil war if their demands were not met. One can view how the events escalated & were well orchestrated, something which cannot be done on the fly.

No mention of the fact Thaksin's Lawyer was invited into the heart of Red shirt negotiation meetings,

but.... rimshot.... Thaksin has no involvement with the Red Shirts.... uuuuuh..

So how come Jeff Savage wasn't consulted and let into the inner sanctum of red leadership?

Farang lawyer Amsterdamn, here to for unknown in Thailand,

suddenly has full access to back room red leadership, but HOW?

He says Thaksin has no connection with Red Planning,

so why would Amsterdamn get into decision central?

Very simple, because his client Thaksin is directly connected to Red Central Decision making.

No other way would a farang come from out of nowhere and suddenly have this access,

and not even have a press pass.

Just Amsterdamn's very presense there, belies his statements that Thaksin is not squarely involved.

Edited by animatic

The main credibility interest is who is that the person paying is not a disinterested party and hence a lawyer becomes an advocate for an interested party. It isnt a neutral investigation as an investigation paid for by the government or army wouldnt be an independent one.

A newspaper is supposed to report on news and in an more-or-less open-minded way question what all and any say. The paragraph you quote is NOT an attack, but just some thoughts on what may or may not be. Just like this reply to you is not an attack, just a difference of opinion :)

No mention of the fact Thaksin's Lawyer was invited into the heart of Red shirt negotiation meetings,

So how come Jeff Savage wasn't consulted and let into the inner sanctum of red leadership?

He says Thaksin has no connection with Red Planning, so why would Amsterdamn get into decision central?

Very simple, because his client Thaksin is directly connected to Red Central Decision making.

No other way would a farang come from out of nowhere and suddenly have this access,

Just Amsterdamn's very presense there, belies his statements that Thaksin is not squarely involved.

Be careful with what you say. Everyone knows the Mr. R. Amsterdam is a world famous lawyer who would get instantaneous access to any area off-limit to mere mortals. He could probably attend a Pres. Obama White House party without being invited. :)

"According to the site, Thaksin has hired Amsterdam "to investigate the killings and government breaches of international human rights and laws".

The starting point is already flawed. Apparently it is already established that the government (only) breached on human rights and international laws. An unbiased study would cover all sides and all parties, not just one.

So we cannot expect anything serious from such an obvious propaganda trick.

I don't see that the Thai government really has anything to worry about from the Thaksin legal team. Amsterdam's most famous client is Mikhail Khodorkovsky. Khodorkovsky hired Amsterdam in 2003. In 2005 he was found guilty and is still in prison. As for Knoops, I couldn't find any details about his cases, but he is most famous for defending the perpetrators of the Rwanda Genocide. 29 out of 50 trials completed by the Rwanda Tribunal have resulted in convictions.

Given the track record of his legal team, the Thai Govt. should be all smiles now! :)

Now if Johnnie Cochran was still alive, they might have a good reason to be worried. :D

He says Thaksin has no connection with Red Planning, so why would Amsterdamn get into decision central?

Ah, nice. Logic is mightier than the lie.