Yamaha Spark Rx 135i Vs Honda Wave 125i

jbeck

I've examined both brand new bikes but was not able to find a Spark to test ride.

The Spark engine is obviously stronger and is water cooled, and a high quality YSS compression adjustable mono-shock is available.

The spark with mag wheels is about the same price as the 125i with spoked wire wheels.

The Honda dash panel and indicator lights, fit and finish, paint, even nuts and bolts are clearly of much higher quality.

The Honda has a huge underseat storage and the Spark basically none, and the Honda has a slightly more relaxed, roomier riding position, gets much better gas mileage - almost double that of the Yamaha.

The Honda has a 2 piston front brake caliper and the Yamaha has has a one piston caliper.

I'm wondering how much faster the Spark really is, on open roads, mountain roads, etc...is it worth the sacrifice in storage, fit and finish quality and versatility, maybe even durability?

For example, day-long mountain rides...

Also I was told resale value of the Spark is not as good as the Honda.

Who has first-hand experience with the Yamaha? Top speed? Reliability?

thanks.

The Wave 125i has less then 10HP. The Nuovo Elegance has more then 11 (similiar engine but carb) so you will feel a big difference between the two. But I dont have first hand experiance. If you can not get your hand on a Spark 135i you may rent one with carb if possible. That should give you an idea. The Injection will not make it less powerful. A Top Box will solve your problem with storage, but I dont think the storage of the wave is huge, but much better then the Spark (I did compare them in the Showroom).

I'd get a Yamaha X1R, it has a rear disc brake, the others have drums.

I'd say it is the same as the Spark in quickness and lack of storage.

The Elegance is slow compared to the chain drives, but highly practical with good storage and no shifting, I have one myself.

I've also ridden the Sonic 125, slow.

Get the biggest engine in the lightest bike you can.

Ideally you'd get a used Raider 150 if performance is your main priority.

The spark is a lot stronger than the wave.. But no storage at all and not really OK to put a basket on either. I tend to use the scoot for short 7/11 runs and the like and no storage is a real deal killer. Sonics, raiders, etc all come under the same, better than a scooter in power but lacking day to day useability for what I do with a scoot, also I think a farang looks a bit foolish on a boy racer thai underbone.

The wave is probably cheaper to run long term, not that the pennies difference really makes much odds.

Another unloved machine is the Kwaker ZX130.. Good power, good storage, maybe harder for parts in the sticks.

I am constantly annoyed all the new bike development is always into autos, In vietnam Yammie made a 135cc higher power, bigger wheel, manual.. Just what we could do with as larger farangs.

The Yamaha Spark 135i and the Honda Wave 125i are two complete different motorcycles, the Yamaha is a more sporty underbone motorcycle, best compared to the Honda Sonic 125, Suzuki Raider R150, or the Kawasaki ZX130... All the competitors are not available anymore, Honda stopped production of carburetor motorcycles, Suzuki was not able to adjust the 150cc Raider to the new exhaust emission rules, and Kawasaki has stopped the production of underbone motorcycles completely.

The Yamaha Spark 135i and the Honda Wave 125i are two complete different motorcycles, the Yamaha is a more sporty underbone motorcycle, best compared to the Honda Sonic 125, Suzuki Raider R150, or the Kawasaki ZX130... All the competitors are not available anymore, Honda stopped production of carburetor motorcycles, Suzuki was not able to adjust the 150cc Raider to the new exhaust emission rules, and Kawasaki has stopped the production of underbone motorcycles completely.

i have a raider, my OP explains wanting practicality, durability, comfort on long rides, quality - fit and finish, but wanting to consider the yamaha engine, monoshock, and mags - all better than the wave..

the seating position , seat, handlebar position, of the spark is almost identical to the wave (not at ALL like the raider!) and has the same 4 speed clutchless transmission as the Wave.

i don't consider it a completely different motorcycle at all - yes the yamaha is more sporty though, but look at the seat and handlebars and it is not at all like a sonic/raider.

also no rear disc like the sonic/raider.

agree to disagree

Edited by jbeck