Farang Explosion

WinnieTheKhwai

(Apologies in advance for the topic title; brought you in though didn't it. :)

In recent years there has been an incredible increase in the number of foreigners living in Thailand. I think however I'm looking at a future where there will be far fewer foreigners around and here's why:

- Inevitably, Thailand develops and the economy grows, making things more expensive. Think Singapore and Hong Kong. While typical expat groups such as multinational company staff and government/embassy workers will still be in Thailand, the increased expense makes it far less likely for people to retire.

- Related to the above, increased wealth among Thai people means that a big incentive in finding a foreign husband/partner is removed. So fewer foreigners building a family in Thailand, except for those 'true love' cases. This is good; less stigma.

- The large number of current foreign residents/husbands will inevitably not be around in 20 years or so.. Looking at the average age, they'll naturally (and literally) die off.

I'm relatively young myself, and in a genuine, equal relationship so chances are in 20 years I will be looking at a radically different expat landscape, with the current Thai-expat demographic having to opt for places like Cambodia, Burma, Laos or Africa.

What do you think? Will the Thai 'expat' scene go back to the size and make-up of what it was 20 years ago?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Kwai is worried about having to fend off younger challengers to his crown as "Mr. Big Show" up there in the great NE? :)

There are less farangs living here compared to 5 years ago. You can sleep easier tonight and tomorrow knowing this.

All your point are related to changes in Thailand, just look at the average traveler finacial wise.

Many European people going to spend there holiday closer to home, people are starting saving money instead of spending, so first saving is a 21 days expensive holiday to Asia instead poeple going for a 9 days tholiday to Greece and have some savings left.

But your wright less foreigners in Thailand but much more Look Kungs :)

All your point are related to changes in Thailand, just look at the average traveler finacial wise.

Many European people going to spend there holiday closer to home, people are starting saving money instead of spending, so first saving is a 21 days expensive holiday to Asia instead poeple going for a 9 days tholiday to Greece and have some savings left.

But your wright less foreigners in Thailand but much more Look Kungs :)

You are trying to say we look like Shrimp?

I think the Kwai is worried about having to fend off younger challengers to his crown as "Mr. Big Show" up there in the great NE? :)

There are less farangs living here compared to 5 years ago. You can sleep easier tonight and tomorrow knowing this.

IF that's the case (and I doubt it; every year when I'm at the Immigration Office there's more space allocated/used), then that'd be a sign that we've hit 'Peak-Farang' and are already on the way down.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Less and less farang are interested in Thailand due to the rip off story's they read on here and experience themselve.Another big thing is the instability of this country and the way other neighbouring country's are advancing.

A good example of how degrading Thailand is can be seen when you click on the "view new posts" button on top of this page and count the posts that were made in the last 30 minutes.The number you count would be reached in less then 10 minutes 2 years ago.

I disagree with the idea that the Thai gals will stop looking for Farang Husbands. That is the other reason beside money that Thai gals look for farang husband. It may not be financial but the fact most of the Thai guys are Jasho is a very the other big reason they will continue to look for Farang Husbands.

Less and less farang are interested in Thailand due to the rip off story's they read on here and experience themselve.Another big thing is the instability of this country and the way other neighbouring country's are advancing.

A good example of how degrading Thailand is can be seen when you click on the "view new posts" button on top of this page and count the posts that were made in the last 30 minutes.The number you count would be reached in less then 10 minutes 2 years ago.

Would you say the same thing during the height of the Red Protest? We are just taking a break man. This is hard work.

The vast majority of foreigners retiring in Thailand or taking 'time out' in Thailand are male.

There is no reason to believe that what draws them to Thailand is going to be in short supply any time soon - and since that has an inflexible demand curve - priced doesn't come into it.

I disagree with the idea that the Thai gals will stop looking for Farang Husbands. That is the other reason beside money that Thai gals look for farang husband. It may not be financial but the fact most of the Thai guys are Jasho is a very the other big reason they will continue to look for Farang Husbands.

:) You actually believe that load of garbage spouted by working girls and daft drunk delusional farangs.

Love is love dude....not one of my wifes friends have a farang chappie and never show any interest in getting one too...they are either married Thai to Thai, single or have a b/f ...g/f......

Thailand is headed in the opposite direction of Singapore so I find the OP's argument completely specious. The OP appears to want to brag that he is the good quality, desirable type foreigner the Thais will always want (Look! Thais! My partner isn't 30 years younger than me! Love me!). Reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live church lady superior dance.

Nobody knows what the future of Thai xenophobia will bring, so if you ain't Thai, you shouldn't allow yourself to get too comfortable here.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

Will WTK we won't have to worry about a farang explosion in Chiang Mai with bkkjames giving directions. He does not know where we are, North East? I don't thank so. :D

Hope so, he's to less beer gut, vest-wearing, tattooed, shaven-headed thugs around the place

Think your name should be no spiny,

Dont be scared son,they dont bite much

Why didn't you christen him No Spiney then? It was your choice. :)

But your wright less foreigners in Thailand but much more Look Kungs :D

And Greece certainly needs more tourists too! Might help them to balance the books :)

I think the OP was probably drunk when he started this thread. I stopped reading after 'Inevitably, Thailand develops and the economy grows, making things more expensive. Think Singapore and Hong Kong. Er, no, those places were sorted out by the British you couldn't pick worse examples for comparison; Thailand's beyond the point of no return; socially and racially divided, with an infrastructure and a political system of limited effectiveness.

Exploding farangs? Must be due to those chem trails the CIA are spreading all over Asia. :)

Actually I think the number of farangs is set to increase. With the enrichment of the Thai population there will be a shortage of people will to do the meneal jobs for the usual pittance. The upcoming economic meltdown part IIIa will reduce Europe and the USA to the level of Mali. So all their populations will become economic migrants and come to south east Asia to harvest rice, drive tuk-tuks and sell their bodies in the new wave gogos where fat, ugly Thais go to pick up their sexual partners.

What goes around comes around. :D

Will WTK we won't have to worry about a farang explosion in Chiang Mai with bkkjames giving directions. He does not know where we are, North East? I don't thank so. :D

The bkkjames gps navigator system. Available for your car now.

Enter destination:

Tesco Lotus Pak Chong

Press Enter.

" At the Pyramids Of Giza make a left turn. Keep right. Turn left at Mogadishu. After the 2nd set of traffic lights bear left past Ayers Rock. You have reached your destination. " :D

:) You actually believe that load of garbage spouted by working girls and daft drunk delusional farangs.

Love is love dude....not one of my wifes friends have a farang chappie and never show any interest in getting one too...they are either married Thai to Thai, single or have a b/f ...g/f......

Agreed! i know many bargirls who say how much they hate thai guys to their older farang customers and 'boyfriends' - meantime most of them have thai bfs on the side. As you say, its hilarious how many farang guys believe it when they are told by thai girls how mean and evil thai men are lol.

I think the OP was probably drunk when he started this thread. I stopped reading after 'Inevitably, Thailand develops and the economy grows, making things more expensive. Think Singapore and Hong Kong. Er, no, those places were sorted out by the British you couldn't pick worse examples for comparison; Thailand's beyond the point of no return; socially and racially divided, with an infrastructure and a political system of limited effectiveness.

Disagree- thailand, bangkok in particular will become more like singapore and hong kong in the long term 20-40 years??? (of course in the long term we are all dead as keynes said, and that applies to many of us here i guess)- its inevitable im afraid (death and bangkok turning all singers and honkers) . Even now, between 30-50% of investors in the thai stock exhange are overseas- many of the big US and British and Japan investment banks are pouring money into thailand- i have to believe that they know a thing or two about making money and if thailand is such a basket case they wouldnt be investing so much...Also just look at the explosion of luxury cars around bangkok in recent years, emorium area inparticular- this growing number of super rich and well off middle class thais are going to turn central bangkok into singapore sooner than many people would like or expect.

Heck- 20 years ago singapore's expat scene was similar (though smaller of course) to thailand today- drop outs passing through, cheap charlies, expat cowboys, english teachers, cheap food, cheap "hello handosme man" girls, cheap living.

The large number of current foreign residents/husbands will inevitably not be around in 20 years or so.. Looking at the average age, they'll naturally (and literally) die off.

Looking around Khon Kaen I'd make that about 20 days or so mate. It's like God's waiting room some days. :)

total BS - you assume that most people do what they should do - they don't!

they will keep wasting their money on self-indulgence until the whole bloody thing collapse, or are you saying you didn't see that financial crisis coming either?

I think the Kwai is worried about having to fend off younger challengers to his crown as "Mr. Big Show" up there in the great NE? laugh.gif

Will WTK we won't have to worry about a farang explosion in Chiang Mai with bkkjames giving directions. He does not know where we are, North East? I don't thank so. laugh.gif

:) bkkjames is not the the bloke you want to be jumping into a taxi with at Swampers, <deleted> knows where you will end up!

Does anybody have any figures, or is this just the froth on the beer?

Certainly seems to be the latter as the absurd assertions of the OP are ridiculous.

It will take three decades of rapid development and progress, without any backtracking like the past 5 years, before Thailand can compare to the likes of Singapore today.

The remaining social aspects of the OP are nonsense, as well.

20 years is a long time, anything could happen.

The way things are now I would not retire to Thailand. Nothing to do with the protests, its

just as westerner is Thailand you are not accepted, wanted or appreciated. Why live in a country

where you little rights and will always be an outsider to the indigenous population.

Still I have seen many dudes retired in Thailand and they are happy and living fun lifes.