Has Anyone Got A Bangkok Bank Savings Account ?

i live in chiang mai ! bangkok doesn't have much for me there,

i would like to live near the sea but prices much higher.

yes i think maybe bangkok bank london branch were pushing for chaps payments.

i don't know hardly anything about buying houses - i'll probably have to trust the gf if we choose to buy a house.

i will read that thread thanks,

chris

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris - Sorry I am no use on House/Land ownership - We are a Farang/Farang couple it was buy a condo, rent or nothing.

Look for posts by a guy called donx - he is a great poster and is almost in exactly the same position you are.

To be honest Land/House ownership is a bit of a minefield and indeed I was one of those who deliberatly split out Land/House ownership isuues and Condominum ownership issues because the two were becoming very confused and have nothing whatsoever to do with each other.

Good luck and thanks for all your candid feedback on this thread.

Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York, USA I have two accounts with them here. I transfer online from Bank of America to Bangkok Bank NY. Usually $2,000. B of A charges me $3, Bangkok Bank NY charges $5, Bangkok Bank in Bangkok charges me 200 Baht. But Monday, I got 32.41 Baht to the dollar. Pretty good rate! I don't know if they have a branch in the UK though. Just checked their exchange rate today and it's 32.14 buying the dollar. 32.43 for buying TT.

Can you walk me through it how you set up transfer using BOFA online banking they keep telling me I can not do it. Are you using the ACH method of transfer?? This would really help me to get my pension to Thailand. Your expert thoughts on this would be appreciated very much. I have my account in Calif and also have BKK bank savings.

Robbie - You can set up regular transfers to a Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand from any bank in the U.S. Even some of the bigger ones will be stubborn about it but I had been using a local bank for years to send money to my mother in law, and when I retired I went through hel_l trying to get my Wells Fargo Branch to do it.....but it finally got done. I now transfer money quarterly from my Wells Fargo IRA, some to my Calif. checking account and some here to Thailand.

International wires use a SWIFT code now, that change happened several years ago and I'm not sure if it's 100% replacing the old ABA numbers or not.....easy to find that info out from your bank.

PM me if you have any problems and I'll try to help explain it. I have my social security check direct deposited to Ca. bank instead of Bangkok Bank just to make sure I never have a problem with the Thai banking system which is, of course, still pretty archaic.

Also I still have a home in Ca. I can't sell and need money there to pay bills.

Good Luck