Remote Control Plane/ Helicopter Clubs Chiang Mai

Hillside4Phil

My last trip to the Golden Triangle and Mae Sai, I saw heaps of Remote controlled planes etc in the market area, and the driver I was with said he thought that there is a Club in the Chiang Mai San Sai area, would anyone know where I could find any information about any of these types of clubs etc in Chiang Mai???

thanks in advance

I have a friend who flies a helicopter ( about 2 metre span Takes camcorders/ cameras) and I know of a manufacturer of 4 metre model planes in Lamphun, they fly from close to me in Sankamphaeng. There is also activity at Doi Saket.

PM me and I'll tel you what I know

I know of an airfield where they fly planes and helicopters off all sizes, and I believe there is a club there too.

It is on the outer ring road, East of the Doi Saket hiway, and North of the San Kampeng road. If you are travelling East, it is on the left about halfway. They say there is a large cloth thing hanging out front, but I havent seen it the last 2 years, so, anyway, good luck :)

I know of an airfield where they fly planes and helicopters off all sizes, and I believe there is a club there too.

It is on the outer ring road, East of the Doi Saket hiway, and North of the San Kampeng road. If you are travelling East, it is on the left about halfway. They say there is a large cloth thing hanging out front, but I havent seen it the last 2 years, so, anyway, good luck :)

I think i know the place you are talking about and will go to take a look, thanks for your information

Hi, there is one as detailed on the outer ring, go up the 118 past Sansai market at the next junction turn right, about 2 kms on the left hand side is 'Top Gun'....it has a large 'Top Gun' style sign outside....the place is run by a Thai who speaks pretty good English....he can lend you a plane to teach, if need be. Pretty sure he quoted around 5000 baht to get you up and running with the loan of a trainer...basically the cost included all training until proficient.

If you are already proficient and have your own aircraft, there is an excellent tarmac landing strip in the middle of nowhere that is used by a few Thai's. It has shaded sheltering and benches for maintenance etc. It's free and is usually empty. It is east out of the city and is located in a deserted Moo Baan that never got finished, really nice and quiet location with nice scenery.

There is also a grass landing strip and club, 5 mins from the above place.

For 'Top Gun' see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=h&z=18

For the free one (which is open and empty normally), head out on the 1317, it's about 10kms or so. Head east out of town, over highway 1, keep going.....past a coach firm on the right hand side (will see coaches parked!)...keep going a few more km's....then on the right hand side you will see a sign for Chiang Mai airport, or something to that effect (it's a light aircraft landing strip). You will know the junction because just as you turn right off the 1317 (the road almost goes back on itself) you turn immediately left. Carry on down this road for 4kms or so, you will see the signs for the light aircraft landing strip, continue for another 0.5kms and on the left you will see an arched entrance for a moo baan, now derelict and never finished. Go through the arch, over the mud bridge (but ok in a car), head straight on towards the derelict and spooky moo baan swimming pool/fitness complex.....take the road to the right of the complex and 2nd left...to the end and there you are!

I hope the instructions make sense! It really is in the middle of nowhere and perfect for novices with an out of control airplane!

There is also a radio control aircraft shop opposite Montford College, good but not that cheap...selling aircraft kits, radio control, servo's etc.

Give me a PM, would be happy to come along and crash my plane with you. :)

Edited by kjhbigv

i was close to start pretty much the same thread :-) . i always wanted to have an rc plane, and one time i was close to put my savings into buying one but decided against it, knowing i would probably crash it the first time, i was like 14 so the money mattered. before coming to thailand i already looked into rc planes here and saw, that i can get cheap ones for less than 100$, so im very excited to get into it. my only fear now is i might get too crazy about it, building/flying/crashing planes all day long...

would be nice to get in contact with you guys!

In thailand I played around with a small coaxial helicopter (3 channel, cheap one, toy class) but it crashed quite often and it was not easy to get the spare sparts. Look at the two shops here: http://www.mapjack.com/?PpUyUMegacxA

They also have the big helicopters that are not toys anymore, for 20K-40K but they are not easy to fly.

Here in europe I bought a 4 channel coaxial heli with swashplate, it was better but still crashed a lot (the rotors always touched each other and broke off, if you do more than just hover).

Now I built one of these: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ and it never crashes, has GPS support and is very easy to fly (onboard computer controling the attitude)

hey guys count me in. i bought a cheap plastic heli with double rotors battery powered but have hardly used it. would love to fly it with some other enthusuasts

I tried to fly a small helicopter at home when i was in the hospital, i was in for depression and got a small heli that i could fly abit in my room and the tv room when nobody was in there. Some of the nurses and head shrink encouraged it but occupational health and safety rules put an end to it.

But still have wanted to get involved and fly the RC models, plus get out and meet some new people.

thanks for all the information much aprreciated.

will let you know what else i can discover in my travels