Wa-man-in-thai-jail-over-protests-denied-bail

harrry

It looks to me like they are singling out foreigners here for special punishment.

In the case of the Aussie guy who was arrested for speaking on the main stage I wonder if everyone else who also spoke on the stage has been arrested. I am pretty sure they weren't and this is a special punishment as the guy is a foreigner.

I will watch this case with interest as it progresses.

It looks to me like they are singling out foreigners here for special punishment.

In the case of the Aussie guy who was arrested for speaking on the main stage I wonder if everyone else who also spoke on the stage has been arrested. I am pretty sure they weren't and this is a special punishment as the guy is a foreigner.

I will watch this case with interest as it progresses.

Maybe that's because he was breaking laws that don't apply to citizens. Many countries have laws that state visitors cannot participate in political protests.

mess with the bull. <deleted> was he doing anyway? this is not our battle, stay the fuc_k out of it. another poor example of a farang who thinks he's Thai. don't be, it's only one-sided and completely in your head only.

with that being said, this dude is living a bit of hel_l i'm sure, and i don't really wish that on anyone...

I do understand that there are people here who are cheering for this guy to have the book thrown at him which seems a little unfair to me. The law should be applied equally to all people participating during the protest. If the other protesters were denied bail then fine. However, if he is receiving harsher treatment because he is not Thai then that is totally unfair and people enjoying this should be ashamed of themselves.

I get the impression that most people on this site are pretty well traveled, pretty well educated, know the difference between right and wrong and understand when someone is receiving punishment over and above the norm. Saying all that, I really try to understand why some people are rubbing their hands with glee and salivating over this guy's problems.

TheWalkingMan

I do understand that there are people here who are cheering for this guy to have the book thrown at him which seems a little unfair to me. The law should be applied equally to all people participating during the protest. If the other protesters were denied bail then fine. However, if he is receiving harsher treatment because he is not Thai then that is totally unfair and people enjoying this should be ashamed of themselves.

I get the impression that most people on this site are pretty well traveled, pretty well educated, know the difference between right and wrong and understand when someone is receiving punishment over and above the norm. Saying all that, I really try to understand why some people are rubbing their hands with glee and salivating over this guy's problems.

TheWalkingMan

It's because we're well enough traveled and well enough educated to understand the concept of "foreign agitator". No country wants to have to put up with political protest (and protestERS) originating outside its borders. Yes, there SHOULD be different treatment for individuals who are foreigners and despite well-understood prohibitions and warnings choose to involve themselves in the internal affairs of their host country anyway. It's like being invited into a friend's home for dinner, and then jumping into a domestic quarrel between the husband & wife. In both situations you expect to be treated courteously but should ALSO expect to pay an extra price for abusing your welcome. Anyone who can't understand this behavioral norm should probably just stay home.

Saying all that, I really try to understand why some people are rubbing their hands with glee and salivating over this guy's problems.

Perhaps they welcome the distraction from their own problems.