British Information

pschef

Going back to what the OP was saying, I returned to the UK in 2008 with it in mind to do about 4 month's work back on the road as an HGV driver just to put some money back in the coffers. It didn't work out as planned and I went to the Citizens Advice Bureau for some advice. They told me that as I was 61 years old (at the time) I should apply for Pension credits. When I telephoned the appropriate office to get the forms sent to me at my brother's address I was asked for my NI number and they told me that the address they had on their records was one in Thailand. I told them that I had returned back to the UK for the foreseeable future (a little white lie admittedly). I was asked on what date did I return. When I told them they said that I wasn't entitled to pension credits as I had to have been living in the UK for at least 6 months and one day before I became eligible.

I also have a mate who returned to the UK from Thailand (and still resides in the UK) who has been receiving pension credits. He told me that when he first applied he did get a visitation to verify that he was actually living at the address he had given. I believe that he has had subsequent visits. So it seems that they DO check.

Going back to what the OP was saying, I returned to the UK in 2008 with it in mind to do about 4 month's work back on the road as an HGV driver just to put some money back in the coffers. It didn't work out as planned and I went to the Citizens Advice Bureau for some advice. They told me that as I was 61 years old (at the time) I should apply for Pension credits. When I telephoned the appropriate office to get the forms sent to me at my brother's address I was asked for my NI number and they told me that the address they had on their records was one in Thailand. I told them that I had returned back to the UK for the foreseeable future (a little white lie admittedly). I was asked on what date did I return. When I told them they said that I wasn't entitled to pension credits as I had to have been living in the UK for at least 6 months and one day before I became eligible.

I also have a mate who returned to the UK from Thailand (and still resides in the UK) who has been receiving pension credits. He told me that when he first applied he did get a visitation to verify that he was actually living at the address he had given. I believe that he has had subsequent visits. So it seems that they DO check.

Indeed, that number of six months or 182 days is important on a number of fronts, not least of all because HMRC considers a person to be resident for tax purposes if they live in the country for that number of days in any given tax year. As a result there's little chance of being able to claim residency for NHS or Pension Credit purposes without also being liable to UK tax overall, on worldwide income and as it arises.

Indeed, that number of six months or 182 days is important on a number of fronts, not least of all because HMRC considers a person to be resident for tax purposes if they live in the country for that number of days in any given tax year. As a result there's little chance of being able to claim residency for NHS or Pension Credit purposes without also being liable to UK tax overall, on worldwide income and as it arises.

Well at last we get some good info, Thanks Chiangmai and prodriver. I will just upload this funny thing for you guys, just for a laugh.My Dog.doc