Driving In Uk

Not exactly sure what the right forum for this is but:

Thanks to the all hints and tips my girlfriend is now coming to live with me in the UK for 6 months on a visit visa (I think the 250 page folder good enough for a settlement visa may have helped). 4 days from app to approved :)

Anyway as it happens I have 3 weeks holiday booked and want to show her around the UK but there is a bit of a problem. I can't drive!. We could use coaches/trains etc but it's very inconvenient.

Is she allow to drive in the UK on a Thai driving license? that way we could hire a car?

Any advice is gratefully received.

Visitors

"Provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid, you may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats, for up to 12 months from the date of coming to GB. However, you may only drive large vehicles which have been registered outside GB and which you have driven into the country."

Source: Uk Government Website

Amazing UK :)

Your problem might be with the car hire company.

Good Luck!

She will legally be able to drive with a Thai licence or an IDP but, as Davee58 has suggested, the problem could well be with the car hire company.

When I have used my Thai licence or even my UK licence with a Thai credit card and address, the quoted price more than doubled, think you might need to shop around.

Indeed, although legally she can drive for up to 12 months while in the UK as a visitor; the cost of car hire may be high because of the high cost of insurance.

Remember that she needs to hold a full license; i.e. a five year one.

Legally an IDP is not necessary, although as it is a translation of her Thai license it may be useful when hiring vehicles.