Work Permit

If I work for a company located in Hong Kong and have to manage an area of several countries in Southeast Asia (Thailand,Vietnam,Malaysia,Singapore) and will travel a lot.

If I rent a house (in my thai GF name) in Bangkok do i need to apply for a B visa and work permit in thailand ? knowing that i will have to go out of the country every week and have no official office in thailand ?

Thks per advance for your help

I did exactly the same for over 2 years with my office being in Singapore; the only down side is you'll need a new passport quite often cos of the immigration stamps. Bangkok immigration never asked any questions, I assume they see this situation quite often.

If you need a work permit or not depends on the nature of your work in Thailand. If you represent a foreign based firm in Thailand and do business with a Thai firm (business meetings) you will not need a work permit. If it is more than doing business meetings you will need a work permit.

If you need a work permit or not depends on the nature of your work in Thailand. If you represent a foreign based firm in Thailand and do business with a Thai firm (business meetings) you will not need a work permit. If it is more than doing business meetings you will need a work permit.

Thanks for your answers.

Clearly I will just control the operations, the company provide services in thailand, they already have thai staff. I will sell nothing, just meet the compagny customers

when I am on site and check the quality of the service lets say one time per week after I will be out of the country but will come back to spend the week-end with my family in Bkk.

The daily management is under the responsability of a thai manager not mine.

I just want to be sure cause they need someone available immediatly and i don't want to make any mistake with the immigration rules.

The rules are a big vague and I'm no expert, but I think you will need a work permit. Seems your employer already has an office in Thailand as it has Thai staff. In that case it shouldn't be too difficult to get. a work permit and a non-B visa.

Thanks for your answers.

Clearly I will just control the operations, the company provide services in thailand, they already have thai staff. I will sell nothing, just meet the compagny customers

when I am on site and check the quality of the service lets say one time per week after I will be out of the country but will come back to spend the week-end with my family in Bkk.

I just want to be sure cause they need someone available immediatly and i don't want to make any mistake with the immigration rules.

In your circumstances you would need a WP...you are "resident" here...

If you where coming to Thailand from your office in Singapore to set up/negotiate a business deal....you could get away with just a Non-imm B

Your company is already undertaking the work, therefore Non-imm B and WP for you

Also I would be extra careful because you appear to be interacting with Thai companies and all it takes is for someone to get the "hump" with you and they phone immigration

Thanks for your answers.

In your circumstances you would need a WP...you are "resident" here...

If you where coming to Thailand from your office in Singapore to set up/negotiate a business deal....you could get away with just a Non-imm B

Your company is already undertaking the work, therefore Non-imm B and WP for you

Also I would be extra careful because you appear to be interacting with Thai companies and all it takes is for someone to get the "hump" with you and they phone immigration

Yes look like the best solution, I had a doubt because my office is officially in Hong Kong and Thailand will be just a part of my area and I will be traveling all the time in southeast asia plus I don't have any permanent adress in Bkk as the renting contract is under my GF name.

Thks for the information