British Passport

Evening all,

My wife has been in England nearly three years. This September my wife can apply for her naturalisation and then apply for her British passport. I will be taking a post in Hong Kong early next year for the foreseeable future and I was wondering if it would be advisable to get my wife a British Passport before we emigrate? My wife currently has ILR and I am aware if you are out of the country for more than two years (which we will be) then immigration can revoke her ILR. I was thinking of flying my wife back to the UK to see my mother once per year to avoid her losing ILR but then I am not sure if this is the best option. Can anyone please advise as I am unsure on what to do.

Best wishes,

If it becomes apparent to an immigration officer that your wife is not resident in the UK but only using her ILR for visits, then whilst she would be allowed in on that occasion as a visitor; her ILR would then be canceled.

To answer your question; yes, I think it is worth your wife getting a British passport.

Not only because she can then leave and enter the UK as often and for as long as she wishes, but also because there are many countries where Brits don't need a visa to visit but Thais do.

Both the UK and Thailand allow dual nationality; so naturalisation as British wont affect her Thai citizenship in any way.

Evening all,

My wife has been in England nearly three years. This September my wife can apply for her naturalisation and then apply for her British passport. I will be taking a post in Hong Kong early next year for the foreseeable future and I was wondering if it would be advisable to get my wife a British Passport before we emigrate? My wife currently has ILR and I am aware if you are out of the country for more than two years (which we will be) then immigration can revoke her ILR. I was thinking of flying my wife back to the UK to see my mother once per year to avoid her losing ILR but then I am not sure if this is the best option. Can anyone please advise as I am unsure on what to do.

Best wishes,

Of course you should get your wife a British passport as soon as you can. It will make everything simpler in future. No more visas for half the countries you'd have to jump through hoops for with a Thai passport.To be honest I'm surprised you even have to ask this. Read your post back to yourself and find a reason to say no.

Evening all,

Best wishes,

Of course you should get your wife a British passport as soon as you can. It will make everything simpler in future. No more visas for half the countries you'd have to jump through hoops for with a Thai passport.To be honest I'm surprised you even have to ask this. Read your post back to yourself and find a reason to say no.

Couldn't agree more. British passport allows much easier access to many countries than a Thai passport.

Edited by stament

If it becomes apparent to an immigration officer that your wife is not resident in the UK but only using her ILR for visits, then whilst she would be allowed in on that occasion as a visitor; her ILR would then be canceled.

To answer your question; yes, I think it is worth your wife getting a British passport.

Not only because she can then leave and enter the UK as often and for as long as she wishes, but also because there are many countries where Brits don't need a visa to visit but Thais do.

Both the UK and Thailand allow dual nationality; so naturalisation as British wont affect her Thai citizenship in any way.

Many thanks for your reply.

7by 7, after my trip to Hong Kong, my wife and I plan to return to Thailand and settle there indefintely. I know you have mentioned that Thai people can have dual nationality; however friends of mine recently went to Thailand for a holiday and when they checked in at the airport to return to Britain, the immigration adviser realised they had two passports. Following this they stamped their Thai passports, made notes on a database and stated they could not have a Thai and British passport. This has worried me slightly. I am not questioning your knowledge (far from it) but I would like to know why this is a grey area? I have searched and searched for information regarding dual nationality but have been unsuccessful. We plan to buy property soon and need to be 100 per cent clear as I don't want anything to be comprimised.

Please can you advise on this.

Best wishes,

Bes

Many thanks for your reply.

7by 7, after my trip to Hong Kong, my wife and I plan to return to Thailand and settle there indefintely. I know you have mentioned that Thai people can have dual nationality; however friends of mine recently went to Thailand for a holiday and when they checked in at the airport to return to Britain, the immigration adviser realised they had two passports. Following this they stamped their Thai passports, made notes on a database and stated they could not have a Thai and British passport. This has worried me slightly. I am not questioning your knowledge (far from it) but I would like to know why this is a grey area? I have searched and searched for information regarding dual nationality but have been unsuccessful. We plan to buy property soon and need to be 100 per cent clear as I don't want anything to be comprimised.

Please can you advise on this.

Best wishes,

Bes

Your friends correctly used their Thai passports for exiting LOS. Thai passport holders have their passports stamped on entry and exit. The nice smiling immigration policeman (who probably said nothing of the sort as they are not known for their conversational skills) manually inputs nothing more sinister than the flight number . UK and Thailand recognises dual nationality. It is not a grey area. UK Border Agency | Can I be a citizen of two countries? will confirms UK position. A Thai aquiring British nationality does not lose Thai nationality unless he/she specifically request it. Nationality Law BE 2535 as amendedor somesuch. Try googling again

Not forgetting your wife can apply for a passport 3 years from first entering the UK. If for example she entered on a Fiancée visa then the qualifying period begins from the day she first entered the UK as you are married.

Subject to her meeting other requirements.

Evening all,

Best wishes,

Here'sa damm good reason to say no £950.

Brigante7.

Naturalisation fee; £735

First passport fee: £ 77.50*

Total: £812.50

*Plus £8 if one uses the Post Office 'check and send' service, which I'd recommend, making the total £820.50.

Still damned expensive (thanks to Tony Blair); but not quite as bad as £950; and certainly cheaper than making regular flights to the UK in an effort to keep one's ILR valid; which may not be successful anyway for the reasons stated earlier.