International Licence

An advert in the Bangkok Post for an International Licence 5000bht for 10 years & 6000bht for 20 years, only passport photo and application form required. Didn't say anything about a non-immigrant visa required and also said accepted in Thailand. Has anybody bought this International Licence? They are in Phuket.

I am not going to apply until I am sure it's ok.

Email for licence is [email protected]

An advert in the Bangkok Post for an International Licence 5000bht for 10 years & 6000bht for 20 years, only passport photo and application form required. Didn't say anything about a non-immigrant visa required and also said accepted in Thailand. Has anybody bought this International Licence? They are in Phuket.

I am not going to apply until I am sure it's ok.

Email for licence is [email protected]

The 1949 Convention for International Driving Permits requires that the applicant have a valid driver's license issued by the government. For example, if you are an American and you want to get an International Driving Permit you have to hold a drivers license from one of the 50 states (e.g., California). The International Driving Permit will be issued by the agency designated with this power (in the US it is tha AAA...American Automobile Association). It is valid for one year but may be renewed. It is NOT valid in the issuing country....only in countries other than the issuing country. In any event it has to be used in conjunction with the holders original drivers license. In short, all the IDP does is vouch in several languages that your current license is OK. You have to carry both licenses when driving abroad.

If you operate a car in Thailand with a non-immigrant visa you should get a Thai driving license or else your insurance may not be valid. In order to get a Thai license you need an IDP from your home country....among some other things.

So, save your 6,000 baht.

Sounds like the fake ' United Nations ' International driving permits.

Fake Documents, including licenses could land you in a lot of trouble in Thailand.

Getting a Thai driving license is so easy why bother with a fake?

Don't waste your money.

This is the email I received, still think it's a "United Nations" licence? I guess I will email and ask this Christine Hendricksen. Thanks for the replies.

Dear Sir/Madam:

Here is the information that you requested regarding your application for an International Drivers License

We supply the following:

- International drivers license{ credit card form} as well as translation booklet.{Price includes both}

We supply two different licenses, a ten year license and a twenty year license.

-This license is valid in over two hundred countries around the world{including Thailand}

-This license can be used to exchange a Thai drivers license at the PTO {Provincial Transportation Office}

-This license is accepted by most major insurance organizations throughout South East Asia.

-All car rental companies that we have dealt with thus far have approved these licenses.

-No need to go abroad to renew, everything can be handled by courier, e-mail or fax.

Thank you for your call/e-mail.As our office is based in Phuket , you may apply your license though email,fax or post. If you choose to apply by fax(076-288760),please scan your photo { 300dpi} and e-mail this back to me.If you choose to apply by email, please scan all the documents with 300dpi and email back to me.If you choose to apply your license by post ,

Please post the following items to me at:

49/48 Moo 1

Soi Ruamnanachart

Viset rd

Rawai

Phuket 83130

* A copy of your local driver's license{Thai license is accepted}

* A passport sized photo

* Please fill in the application form attached and ensure that it is signed

*Please transfer 1000Baht to the following account and please post/fax a copy of the bank slip to me too.

Siam Commercial Bank

Acc name:Pengpeng Wang

Acc no:6332461546

The process takes about 7-10days.There are two ways to make payment once the license is done.

1} I will e-mail or fax you a sample of your license. Upon receiving this you can pay the balance into my account.I will post to you by Express mail.{I pay for postage}

2} I will e-mail or fax you a sample of your license. When you agree that their are no errors on the license, I will post it to you.{Payment is made directly to the courier when receiving your license} However this will be done at your cost.{International customers cannot choose this option,Bangkok,Pattaya only} Which is as follows:

Bangkok- 300 baht

Pattaya- 550 baht

If you choose the second option, the balance and delivery fee must be paid directly to the courier.

Kind Regards

Christine Hendricksen

This is the email I received,  still think it's a "United Nations" licence? I guess I will email and ask this Christine Hendricksen. Thanks for the replies.

Dear Sir/Madam:

Here is the information that you requested regarding your application for an International Drivers License

We supply the following:

- International drivers license{ credit card form} as well as translation booklet.{Price includes both}

We supply two different licenses, a ten year license and a twenty year license.

-This license is valid in over two hundred countries around the world{including Thailand}

-This license can be used to exchange a Thai drivers license at the PTO {Provincial Transportation Office}

-This license is accepted by most major insurance organizations throughout South East Asia.

-All car rental companies that we have dealt with thus far have approved these licenses.

-No need to go abroad to renew, everything can be handled by courier, e-mail or fax.

Thank you for your call/e-mail.As our office is based in Phuket , you may apply your license though email,fax or post. If you choose to apply by fax(076-288760),please scan your photo { 300dpi} and e-mail this back to me.If you choose to apply by email, please scan all the documents with 300dpi and email back to me.If you choose to apply your license by post ,

Please post the following items to me at:

49/48 Moo 1

Soi Ruamnanachart

Viset rd

Rawai

Phuket 83130

* A copy of your local driver's license{Thai license is accepted}

* A passport sized photo

* Please fill in the application form attached and ensure that it is signed

*Please transfer 1000Baht to the following account and please post/fax a copy of the bank slip to me too.

Siam Commercial Bank

Acc name:Pengpeng Wang

Acc no:6332461546

The process takes about 7-10days.There are two ways to make payment once the license is done.

1} I will e-mail or fax you a sample of your license. Upon receiving this you can pay the balance into my account.I will post to you by Express mail.{I pay for postage}

2} I will e-mail or fax you a sample of your license. When you agree that their are no errors on the license, I will post it to you.{Payment is made directly to the courier when receiving your license} However this will be done at your cost.{International customers cannot choose this option,Bangkok,Pattaya only} Which is as follows:

Bangkok- 300 baht

Pattaya- 550 baht

If you choose the second option, the balance and delivery fee must be paid directly to the courier.

Kind Regards

Christine Hendricksen

I am very skeptical. For starters the 1949 Convention talks of International Drivers PERMITS.....not licenses.

Here is something I copied from the US State Department with respect to IDPs. Similar wording can be found at GOOGLE searched sites for the UK, Ireland, Canada and others. What is your nationality? Anywhere here is the one from the US:

International Driving Permits

Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an international driving permit (IDPs). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the U.S. (See AAA’s application form for the list of countries. They function as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages. These licenses are not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid license. IDPs are not valid in an individual’s country of residence. Before departure, you can obtain one from an automobile association authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue IDPs. Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949) authorizes the U.S. Department of State to empower certain organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. driver’s licenses. The Department has designated the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance as the only authorized distributors of IDPs. Many foreign countries require deposit of a customs duty or an equivalent bond for each tourist automobile entering its territory, and the motoring associations are equipped with the necessary facilities for providing expeditiously a standard bond document (Article 3 of the Convention).

The Convention is not applicable to United States motorists using their cars in the United States.

HOW TO APPLY FOR AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT:

Before departure, you can obtain one at a local office of one of the two automobile associations authorized by the U.S. Department of State: the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance.

AAA (American Automobile Association) , 1000 AAA Drive, Heathrow, FL 32745-5063. The application is available on-line.

American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), 1151 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404, tel: 800-622-7070; fax: 650-294-7105

To apply for an international driving permit, you must be at least age 18, and you will need to present two passport-size photographs and your valid U.S. license. The cost of an international driving permit from these U.S. State Department authorized organizations is under $20.00.

Be careful, this is shady IMHO...

Scam License

Both the 1949 Convention and the 1968 Convention require that a valid International Driving Permit satisfy following two requirements:

1. that it strictly conforms to the format specified in their Annexes (booklet with gray cover pages and white inside pages, by the size of 105mm by 148mm, etc.),

2. that it was issued by

(1949) the competent authority of another Contracting State or subdivision thereof, or by an Association duly empowered by such authority,

(1968) another Contracting Party or subdivision thereof or by an association duly empowered thereto by such other Contracting Party.

Bearing this in mind, it is fairly easy to recognize and identify a scam license.

First of all, all those credit-card sized international driving (driver's) permits (licenses) are scams.

Sometimes a scam license takes the form of a booklet with gray cover pages and white inside pages, with about the size of 105mm by 148mm. In such a case, it requires some examination whether it conforms either to the 1949 Convention or the 1968 Convention. One such scam license, however, is easy to recognize, as it's "valid" for five years!

Got my reply, I am Australian. Can't get an IDP in Australia need to be a resident (they ask for evidence) and is 50$ aus for 1 year. I am living in Bangkok but not always on a Non immigrant visa. Thanks for the comments. Anyway here is the reply:

"The license is issued by the International Automobile association based in USA. It 's not a UN license. I know your worries.This license is a 100% legal document, otherwise I can't put my ad on the Bangkok post,Pattaymail,Phuketgazette etc.I will help to show the proof that license is legal."

Thanks

Christine

Got my reply,  I am Australian. Can't get an IDP in Australia need to be a resident (they ask for evidence) and is 50$ aus for 1 year. I am living in Bangkok but not always on a Non immigrant visa. Thanks for the comments. Anyway here is the reply:

"The license is issued by the International  Automobile association based in USA. It 's not a UN license. I know your worries.This license is a 100% legal document, otherwise I can't put my ad on the Bangkok post,Pattaymail,Phuketgazette etc.I will help to show the proof that license is legal."

Thanks

Christine

The following is a direct quote from the US State Department web site...on the subject of IDPs.

Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949) authorizes the U.S. Department of State to empower certain organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. driver’s licenses. The Department has designated the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance as the only authorized distributors of IDPs.

Note that the 'International Automobile association based in the USA' is NOT one of the authorized ones.

Got my reply,  I am Australian. Can't get an IDP in Australia need to be a resident (they ask for evidence) and is 50$ aus for 1 year. I am living in Bangkok but not always on a Non immigrant visa. Thanks for the comments. Anyway here is the reply:

"The license is issued by the International  Automobile association based in USA. It 's not a UN license. I know your worries.This license is a 100% legal document, otherwise I can't put my ad on the Bangkok post,Pattaymail,Phuketgazette etc.I will help to show the proof that license is legal."

Thanks

Christine

This is from the web site of the Australian AA. This assumes you have a valid Australian license:

The Australian Automobile Association (AAA), of which NRMA Motoring & Services is a member, is affiliated to auto associations (or clubs) throughout the world. These associations have agreed to provide service to financial members of each other's association on a reciprocal basis.

Getting an International Drivers Permit

If you are in Australia

NRMA Motoring & Services and other Australian motoring associations are authorized to issue an International Driving Permit (IDP).

You will need:

To be 18 years or older (there is no upper age limit)

A current Australian Drivers Licence

A clear, recent passport-style photograph

Payment of $50, however if you can produce a current Motoring Club Membership card you will receive a 50% discount, so payment will reduce to $25.

The International Driving Permit can be issued over the counter at an NRMA Branch while you wait and is valid for one year.

Beware - some websites claim to offer IDPs - however the IDPs they provide are illegal and will be invalid.

If you are overseas

Either a relative or friend can go into an NRMA Branch with:

Proof you are 18 years or older (there is no upper age limit)

Your name and address

A photocopy of your current Australian Drivers Licence (front and back)

The IDP will be issued in your name and they can send it to you overseas.

Alternatively you can fill in an IDP Application form and send to the address below:

NRMA Insurance 1

Locked bag 20

Hamilton DC NSW 2303

Thanks

Christine

Doubt whether any of these publications would know or care. As with newspapers around the world they don't check up until someone complains, and by then it's adios 6000 baht. In fact when I first came to Thailand I didn't even know you required IDP and drove around on my ordinary licence. When stopped by police just gave passport and licence. Never once queried. When I then got my IDP the police used to look bemused and say. "It would help if they taught us what these things say and what one really looks like." :o

Thanks

Christine

This is from the web site of the Australian AA. This assumes you have a valid Australian license:

The Australian Automobile Association (AAA), of which NRMA Motoring & Services is a member, is affiliated to auto associations (or clubs) throughout the world. These associations have agreed to provide service to financial members of each other's association on a reciprocal basis.

Getting an International Drivers Permit

If you are in Australia

NRMA Motoring & Services and other Australian motoring associations are authorized to issue an International Driving Permit (IDP).

You will need:

To be 18 years or older (there is no upper age limit)

A current Australian Drivers Licence

Payment of $50, however if you can produce a current Motoring Club Membership card you will receive a 50% discount, so payment will reduce to $25.

The International Driving Permit can be issued over the counter at an NRMA Branch while you wait and is valid for one year.

Beware - some websites claim to offer IDPs - however the IDPs they provide are illegal and will be invalid.

If you are overseas

Either a relative or friend can go into an NRMA Branch with:

Proof you are 18 years or older (there is no upper age limit)

Your name and address

A photocopy of your current Australian Drivers Licence (front and back)

The IDP will be issued in your name and they can send it to you overseas.

Alternatively you can fill in an IDP Application form and send to the address below:

NRMA Insurance 1

Locked bag 20

Hamilton DC NSW 2303

That kinda settles it I'd say. :o

Thanks

Christine

Doubt whether any of these publications would know or care. As with newspapers around the world they don't check up until someone complains, and by then it's adios 6000 baht. In fact when I first came to Thailand I didn't even know you required IDP and drove around on my ordinary licence. When stopped by police just gave passport and licence. Never once queried. When I then got my IDP the police used to look bemused and say. "It would help if they taught us what these things say and what one really looks like." :o

Dear folks:

I am the person who supplies the licenses in Phuket. I would just like to know: from all the negative comments posted about my product, does anybody have a license supplied by me? If not how could anybody call this a scam. It is true that most nespapers wouldn't check the validity of the IDL, but surely after supplying these licenses for more than a year and having over 300 happy applicants in Thailand alone, I would not still be doing this {scam}. Even the Thai police would have done something by now. I can understand why people all cry: SCAM! I have lived around Asia long enough to know the meaning of the word. If any of you are serious applicants please don't hesitate to contact me regarding this matter. I will gladly give you references from Ireland,China, Thailand, Korea, South Africa, Australia, or just about any country that you wish. I would like to applaud the actions of the user {lindsay} who confronted our staff about the legality of this permit. I just regret that the answer was not satisfactory.

Kind Regards

Leon Hendricksen

Dear folks:

I am the person who supplies the licenses in Phuket. I would just like to know: from all the negative comments posted about my product, does anybody have a license supplied by me? If not how could anybody call this a scam. It is true that most nespapers wouldn't check the validity of the IDL, but surely after supplying these licenses for more than a year and having over 300 happy applicants in Thailand alone, I would not still be doing this {scam}. Even the Thai police would have done something by now. I can understand why people all cry: SCAM! I have lived around Asia long enough to know the meaning of the word. If any of you are serious applicants please don't hesitate to contact me regarding this matter. I will gladly give you references from Ireland,China, Thailand, Korea, South Africa, Australia, or just about any country that you wish. I would like to applaud the actions of the user {lindsay} who confronted our staff about the legality of this permit. I just regret that the answer was not satisfactory.

Kind Regards

Leon Hendricksen

This is from the US State Department's web page:

International Driving Permits

Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an international driving permit (IDPs). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the U.S. (See AAA’s application form for the list of countries. They function as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages. These licenses are not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid license. IDPs are not valid in an individual’s country of residence. Before departure, you can obtain one from an automobile association authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue IDPs. Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949) authorizes the U.S. Department of State to empower certain organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. driver’s licenses. The Department has designated the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance as the only authorized distributors of IDPs. Many foreign countries require deposit of a customs duty or an equivalent bond for each tourist automobile entering its territory, and the motoring associations are equipped with the necessary facilities for providing expeditiously a standard bond document (Article 3 of the Convention). The Convention is not applicable to United States motorists using their cars in the United States.

HOW TO APPLY FOR AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT:

Before departure, you can obtain one at a local office of one of the two automobile associations authorized by the U.S. Department of State: the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance.

AAA (American Automobile Association) , 1000 AAA Drive, Heathrow, FL 32745-5063. The application is available on-line.

American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), 1151 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404, tel: 800-622-7070; fax: 650-294-7105

To apply for an international driving permit, you must be at least age 18, and you will need to present two passport-size photographs and your valid U.S. license. The cost of an international driving permit from these U.S. State Department authorized organizations is under $20.00.

INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMITS ISSUED BY UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS:

The Department of State is aware that IDPs are being sold over the Internet and in person by persons not authorized by the Department of State pursuant to the requirements of the U.N. Convention of 1949. Moreover, many of these IDPs are being sold for large sums of money, far greater than the sum charged by entities authorized by the Department of State. Consumers experiencing problems should report problems to their local office of the U.S. Postal Inspector, Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Better Business Bureau, or their state or local Attorney General’s Office.

Well.....you won't flog that rubbish here. Real Auto Associations  throughout the world issue the PERMITS

For holders of Thai driving licenses they can get their International Driving Permit ("Convention on International Road Traffic of 19 September 1949") from:

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

My Thai wife got her IDP there....and it looks identical in format to the one I got in the USA. In her case it comes with the seal of the Thai motor vehicle department. Mine came with the seal of the American Automobile Association. Both are valid for one year only. Both are of the same size and come with gray covers and white pages....as called for by the Annex to the 1949 convention. Both are labeled INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT.

Dear folks:

Kind Regards

Leon Hendricksen

Few questions. Where did you or whoever is running the company get the idea you could do this. Any official documentation? Why is the bank account in the name of a Chinese gentleman, the originator presumably. Why do you not accept visa or mastercard. After 1 year I would have thought this would be essential.

After a year to make yourself more authentic you could at least have a business name and account!

If you are legitimate you are doing yourself no favours by not being able to qualify your authenticity. Get the Thai police chief to write to you saying that it's quite legitimate. :o

From www.scambusters.com:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

International Driving License Scam

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Planning a holiday abroad and wanting to rent a car? You may think you need an International Driving License -- but you'd be wrong.

What you, in fact, may need if you're traveling to many countries is something called an International Driving Permit (IDP), which is simply a document that translates the information on your driver's license into 11 languages (including English).

IDPs are optional for some countries and mandatory for others. For example, they are currently optional for France and Italy, and mandatory for Austria, Greece and Japan.

IDPs are available for about $12 from the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the National Automobile Club -- but NOWHERE else.

==> http://www.aaa.com/

==> http://www.nationalautoclub.com

Email or websites offering an International Driver's License are a scam -- there is no such thing as an International Driver's License.

When you travel internationally, you need to have an IDP and a valid driver's license, both issued by your country of residence. So for example, if you are a Austrian citizen living in the US and holding a US driver's license, you will need an American IDP).

The IDP must be accompanied by a valid driver's license at all times -- it has no value on its own and is not a substitute for a driver's license.

Action: Avoid getting an International Driver's License. If you travel abroad to a country that requires it, get an International Driving Permit from the AAA or National Automobile Club.

http://www.scambusters.org/Scambusters90.html

Office of the Attorney General News Release Archive

Thursday, July 25, 2002

CORNYN CRACKS DOWN AGAINST INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE SCHEME

Austin-based business is accused of scamming hundreds of immigrants

AUSTIN - Texas Attorney General John Cornyn today announced a lawsuit against International Professional All Services and the company's owner, María Castano. The Attorney General's office alleges Castano told consumers the international driver's licenses she offered for sale allowed them to legally drive in Texas and promised other clients she could obtain a Texas driver's license for them without requiring the test mandated by the Department of Public Safety.

The business, located in Austin at 4619 B. South Congress Avenue, targeted a predominately Spanish-speaking clientele, most of whom were undocumented immigrants. International Professional All Services charged approximately $250 per international drivers' license. The lawsuit also alleges that Castano misled certain consumers by telling them that for a fee she would "fix" or "clear" a person's driving record.

"This is my office's latest legal action against schemes that target consumers who happen to be immigrants," said Attorney General John Cornyn. "Those who view immigrants in Texas as easy prey should reconsider. My office is joined by law enforcement and immigration advocates in ensuring the safety and well-being for all people who call Texas their home. Misleading consumers by selling them false documents is a public safety issue that should concern all Texans."

The Office of the Attorney General became aware of the problem, in part, through local law enforcement authorities who reported making routine traffic stops where drivers produced the licenses they had purchased from International Professional All Services. The Consulate of Mexico in Austin provided significant assistance by encouraging affected consumers to file complaints if they felt they had been misled.

To obtain a valid international driver's license, a person must apply for such a document only through authorized entities in the country that issued their original license. For example, persons who have a valid license issued by the government of Mexico can only obtain an international license in Mexico through an authorized representative, such as the Mexican Automotive Association (Asociación Mexicana Automotríz, AMA).

In the lawsuit, Attorney General Cornyn asks the court to impose fines of $2,000 against the business and its owner for each violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. Furthermore, Cornyn has asked for a temporary injunction to prevent the business from selling additional licenses. The lawsuit also requests that the court order the defendant to reimburse consumers and pay all legal expenses, including the Attorney General's investigative costs and legal fees.

Spanish-speaking consumers who believe they have been victims of this or any other type of scam are encouraged to call toll free 1-800-252-8011.

Dear folks:

Kind Regards

Leon Hendricksen

Few questions. Where did you or whoever is running the company get the idea you could do this. Any official documentation? Why is the bank account in the name of a Chinese gentleman, the originator presumably. Why do you not accept visa or mastercard. After 1 year I would have thought this would be essential.

After a year to make yourself more authentic you could at least have a business name and account!

If you are legitimate you are doing yourself no favours by not being able to qualify your authenticity. Get the Thai police chief to write to you saying that it's quite legitimate. :o

That'd be asking a bit much :D and it might leave a trail :D:D:D