Pimsleur Is Gaslighting Me.

flnu

Pimsleur is messing with my head. Lesson 26 tells me (in English) that the word "five" (ห้า) is pronounced with a high tone while "visit" (หา) is pronounced with a falling tone. By spelling, these words look like they should falling (ห้า) and rising (หา), and that's how they sound to me too. So my question is, is Pimsleur right in the sense that high (ห้า) and falling(หา) are how these words are actually pronounced on the street regardless of spelling? If not, has anyone noticed other Pimsleur mistakes that I should be on the lookout for?

Edited by flnu

Thanks. It's a bummer to find errors this late in the lessons. If there were tone mistakes at the beginning I definitely would not have caught them. Ah, gaslighting does not mean gutted. It means that someone is deliberately trying to make me think I'm going crazy. It's from a movie or play where the dude tried to get the heiress to think she was crazy by turning the gaslights (before lightbulbs) on and off, moving the furniture, etc. when she wasn't looking.

• 9 years later...

I never heard the word gaslighting being used before, and today I read it twice on two different forums.

I guess, this is the new "in" word. Like the word toxic came out of nowhere late 2019 and everyone was using it, and now it's disappeared off people's tongues.

I'm surprised they have mistakes on the course, I'll take note of it when I start doing the course.

18 minutes ago, noiceonemate said:

I never heard the word gaslighting being used before, and today I read it twice on two different forums.

I guess, this is the new "in" word. Like the word toxic came out of nowhere late 2019 and everyone was using it, and now it's disappeared off people's tongues.

I'm surprised they have mistakes on the course, I'll take note of it when I start doing the course.

This thread is from 2010 bro.