Corpse

Briggsy

5:30 am on 12 June on Sukhumvit Road between Laem Chabang and Bang Lamung in front of Ladda Mansion, I have to swerve to avoid a large roadkill. "That's a big dog. Ah, no, it's a naked mangled human corpse."

The strange thing was I was not surprised that there was a naked mangled corpse in the middle of the road and even less surprised that nobody else (ambulance, police, involved parties) was in attendance.

Another normal day in paradise.

:)

Sawang Boriboon came and picked it up in the end.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess, and it is a guess, is that somebody was hit by a speeding car, pick-up or large truck as they tried to cross the road. They were then dragged along hence the mangling of arms and legs, loss of clothing and a considerable amount of skin. Driver fails to stop. Result is a naked mangled corpse in the middle of the road. Just speculation but I think there are not many possible ways this could have happened.

The body was there for at least 40 minutes before it was finally carted off.

My guess, and it is a guess, is that somebody was hit by a speeding car, pick-up or large truck as they tried to cross the road. They were then dragged along hence the mangling of arms and legs, loss of clothing and a considerable amount of skin. Driver fails to stop. Result is a naked mangled corpse in the middle of the road. Just speculation but I think there are not many possible ways this could have happened.

The body was there for at least 40 minutes before it was finally carted off.

I'm trying to speculate on what you did. You were apparently keeping time and there for at least 40 minutes. Did you babysit this mangled body for 40 minutes? Pull it over to the side? You must have a good stomach.

I see your point. I swerved around the body, thankfully I did not run into it. It would have taken me and my pillion passenger out. We would have been injured. I, the farang, would have been blamed for the body. What a nightmare that would have been. This is Thailand and it is generally best not to get involved. I went and ran my errand and then on the way back, watched the ensuing operation as by that time a crowd had gathered. From my swerving around the body to it being loaded into the Sawang Boriboon estate car was 40 minutes.

Three disrespectful comments removed

well in my case i meant so that he could try to identify the poor person and call police etc.

what did you think i meant------------tut tut not all garish short wearers are bad ------just some !!

so you drove past a mangled corpse and didn't call the emergency services but went on about your errand.... nice..

for the first time I agree with you...I am also a bit disturbed here. Farang or not, a corpse on the road is something worth reporting to the police first and then on a message board. In that order.

40 minutes is rather quickly when you consider that a comprehensive investigation should have taken place and evidence gathered before removing the body. It might have been expedited though if people such as yourself had cared more about another human being then themselves and notified the proper authorities instead of just driving on past to the next bar or short time hotel, :D what other errand could you have been running at 5:30am?.. :) One wonders?

Edited by WarpSpeed

so you drove past a mangled corpse and didn't call the emergency services but went on about your errand.... nice..

for the first time I agree with you...I am also a bit disturbed here. Farang or not, a corpse on the road is something worth reporting to the police first and then on a message board. In that order.

I wonder how many farang reading this actually have the ability or vocabulary to give this information in Thai to a non English speaking policeman.

Lets start with dead person, would that be, khon sia chi wit, or, tua khon tai?

To the OP.

The same thing happened to me in my car a couple of years back driving Bangkok to Pattaya. Like you I was not shocked!

I did see that the car who hit him did stop and they were on the phone to the insurance company, I know that because he was reading stickers from his windscreen.

So I carried on. Your one obviously did not have such a nice driver who stopped after dragging him down the road.

I wonder how many farang reading this actually have the ability or vocabulary to give this information in Thai to a non English speaking policeman.

Lets start with dead person, would that be, khon sia chi wit, or, tua khon tai?

I believe, albeit cannot prove it, that whoever picks up the phone at the police station will understand "dead body on the road".

I'm with Briggsy, why would you give yourself the hassle, plenty of Thai's would have seen the corpse as well.

an anonymous call would be sufficient. Cannot see the hassle aspect here. Just because others are negligent, you do not have a carte blanche for doing the same offense.

Briggsy could have made the call to the Police. However so could a large number of others.

Accusing the op of going to the short time hotel is little over the top isn't it ? Could he have been going to the early market, temple? why assume the worst and potentially start a flame war (this is not the motoring forum!).

The news today may well have been - Hunt for foreign man suspected of hit and run....

Regardless of the outcome l believe its human to at least attempt to do the right thing.. So fears aside I would like to think that I would've made the call, or better still had my wife make the call and report the incident.

Unfortunately I would be very reluctant to hand over any personal details.

It shocking to think that a dead body would be left for 40 mins... Mostly so because they may well have been simply unconscious and not dead.

an anonymous call would be sufficient. Cannot see the hassle aspect here. Just because others are negligent, you do not have a carte blanche for doing the same offense.

I suppose it depends how good ones Thai is

My first and last attempt at quotingbiggrin.gif

I suggest you read my post again cool.gif

My first and last attempt at quotingbiggrin.gif

...keep trying laugh.gif...I was just about sorting it for you, but leave it now as it is tongue.gif

can understand not getting involved as a farang, especially on a main road where there were plenty of Thais I assume? A mangled corpse is pretty dead most of the time but agree the wife/g.f should have alerted someone. off topic but I was in a baht bus with one other very drunk 6'3 young swedish guy last weekend. I hadnt travelled 100metres when the guy gets out , staggers to the window and gives the driver 100bht, driver takes it and says no change, swede jumps in cabin and starts beating the sh+t out of him.

I hopped out and walked the other way. Didnt want to be the only other farang there when the angry mob arrived nor did I want to be a police witness .

my bike has been responsible for many a mangled pizza believe me. sometimes it drinks all day and is barely in control of itself and the worst thing is i have to keep it company in the bars or who knows what will happen. i dont want any sort of damage to my shorts either and am not hoping for advice from glitterman who clearly has a bike domination problem same same me !!

report to the police? you do realize that that involves going to the police station and making a written report? by that time the dogs will have taken the body if someone else hasnt removed it and you will most likely have to pay the police as well

thats my experience anyway

Edited by rafval

The post could have read like this if he had stopped and reported corpse!

Falang arrested in connection with hit and run in pattaya.

The we would get the usual lynch mob..........'

lock him up and throw away the key.

serves him right shouldnt be drink driving.

shouldnt stick his nose into thai affairs!

etc etc

40 minutes is rather quickly when you consider that a comprehensive investigation should have taken place and evidence gathered before removing the body. It might have been expedited though if people such as yourself had cared more about another human being then themselves and notified the proper authorities instead of just driving on past to the next bar or short time hotel, :D what other errand could you have been running at 5:30am?.. :) One wonders?

We're not talking about caring for "another human being" here. We're talking about a corpse. How would another 10 minutes or so have made a difference.

I would have done the same. There were no benefits for anyone by getting involved.

Edited by tropo

Yes.

And that's the best possible thing to do.

Sure, not nice and even in some Western countries you will be prosecuted if you don't take the appropriate action, but in Thailand: Keep on moving and try not get involved in any way!

Briggsy could have made the call to the Police. However so could a large number of others.

Accusing the op of going to the short time hotel is little over the top isn't it ? Could he have been going to the early market, temple? why assume the worst and potentially start a flame war (this is not the motoring forum!).

D_#$%! Did someone say that? That's just shameful! :D And yet it still has yet to be denied nor explained but now you've made another suggestion so tainted the outcome..

I agree there are some right pitiful flamers on that motoring forum which is why I seldom ever post there anymore.. :)

We're not talking about caring for "another human being" here. We're talking about a corpse. How would another 10 minutes or so have made a difference.

I would have done the same. There were no benefits for anyone by getting involved.

Yes the OP claimed it was a "corpse" as he RODE past, and yet it still would have been the corpse of a "human being" regardless of it breathing or not which no one knows anyway including the OP since he did not even bother to stop. You think you agreeing with him somehow justifies his not stopping but actually it just displays your complete lack of human conscience and compassion and if there is any karma in this world hopefully the same attitude will prevail towards you in your lifetime at some point..