Corpse

Briggsy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you live anywhere in fear of any kind?

I've expressed my surprise, I am clearly in the minority (and happy to be) no point debating it as my opinion wont change neither will yours, so lets agree to disagree on this one bud.

You come across as a fearless superhero.

Why would you think I live in fear ? Keeping a low profile makes it very easy to live in peace. It's the very way to eliminate most fear.

As for phoning the police when there are hundreds of Thais more capable of doing that on a busy thoroughfare - it's all about eliminating frustration and invonvenience. Nothing to do with fear.

ohhh really? Which one? Phone call man!

Oh I can see your point clearly now, dead? bodies in the road how inconvenient.

The people who have ever actually gotten involved in such incidents tend to advise against it as a policy.

Been involved twice, once in bkk and once in Pattaya, second time was a seriously injured ex pat. And yes i would do the same again, did not get blamed either time and suffered no problems from the police involved although in both instances their competence was seriously lacking by western standards but thats another story. Anyone else here actually got involved and can give a factual account of how they ended up getting the blame?

i would have done the same, if Thai people could not sort it out i would have stayed well out of it. were always being told not our country not our business, i saw some shocking tv footage the other day where a woman was knocked of her bike at a busy intersection by a truck, the camera showed 15 minutes pass by whilst cars drove around her dying in the road, one car did stop in that time, after about 5 minutes after the accident, it was apolice, car put all its lights on went over inspected the body got back into the car and drove off.. geting involved in something like that could lead to you getting the blame. i have known farangs stopping to help locals injured in accidents and end up fotting the hospital bill. its a reflection on the others that drove around the body who live here not the OP, but maybe they also know getting involved only comes back to bite you.sad state of affairs but i have learnt by experience.

Agreed,,,,, the wife was driving in the pattaya area a month or so back, a car in front of her hit a motorcyclist knocking him off and injuring him, he was left sitting in the road in a pool of blood whilst all others (passerby's and pedestrians and other drivers) around him were continuing daily life as norm, the car in front that hit the guy did not stop, wife with kids in car called police, took the bloodied man to hospital and was met there by the police, she was asked to go to the police station where she had to give a statement and the bodywork of her car was given a thorough visual inspection,,,, why, I wonder would they inspect the car of a good samaratin that called the police, was helpful in taking injured man to hospital and when asked gave a statement to police about the incident???

that would be standard practice, right? As she claims to be witness of a hit and run accident the police has to check her car to verify her story.

Did she have any negative consequences out of it?

standard practice or not, what if she had a scrape on the car totally unrelated, I am just suggesting how easy it could be to get into a fix, although in the end no negative consequences, but I have advised her not to get involved next time,

that would be standard practice, right? As she claims to be witness of a hit and run accident the police has to check her car to verify her story.

Did she have any negative consequences out of it?

Becoming an actual suspect in a hit-and-run crime IS a negative consequence.

Phone the police?? I would have taken a pulse first... you know just to check he/she was dead...

Seriously why do you people live in or visit Thailand if you are all so sh*t scared of getting involved?

Truly sad that you stooped so low as to take no action, unbelievable you feel the need to brag about it on here though, shame on you mate.

I have worked in West Africa, North Africa and the Middle East. All ex-pats are instructed to stay well away from any involvement with road accidents. If the driver hits some one - Keep going.

Why ? Because you will most certainly be lynched by a mad crazy mob of locals and be blamed for everything.

In West Africa we were instructed NOT to administer First Aid to locals....WHY ?

AIDS / HIV. 17% of our staff that had a medical were HIV positive. Who knows how high the precentage was of other.

I have seen news items here where Thai drivers run off and hide after running someone down. They fear retribution by relatives and / or the Police.

The OP did the right thing.

I admit its a sad state of affairs. But once you leave Cherry Blossom Lane in Dear old Blighty ....the rules change. Drastically.

Phone the police?? I would have taken a pulse first... you know just to check he/she was dead...

Seriously why do you people live in or visit Thailand if you are all so sh*t scared of getting involved?

Truly sad that you stooped so low as to take no action, unbelievable you feel the need to brag about it on here though, shame on you mate.

I have worked in West Africa, North Africa and the Middle East. All ex-pats are instructed to stay well away from any involvement with road accidents. If the driver hits some one - Keep going.

Why ? Because you will most certainly be lynched by a mad crazy mob of locals and be blamed for everything.

In West Africa we were instructed NOT to administer First Aid to locals....WHY ?

AIDS / HIV. 17% of our staff that had a medical were HIV positive. Who knows how high the precentage was of other.

I have seen news items here where Thai drivers run off and hide after running someone down. They fear retribution by relatives and / or the Police.

The OP did the right thing.

I admit its a sad state of affairs. But once you leave Cherry Blossom Lane in Dear old Blighty ....the rules change. Drastically.

I was witness in an accident a couple of years ago. I will try to make this story short:

Motorcycle hits with high speed the pick-up I am sitting in (passenger seat) and the driver of the motorcycle flies some 20 m through the air, lands on his head (no helmet, no driver license, drunk, souped-up motorcycle...). This happened at about 9 pm in Soi Siam Country Club. Our car was stationary at this time as we wanted to turn right and had to wait for an oncoming car. Indicators were on.

We made an emergency call to the police, unfortunately it took ages until they finally showed up. In the meantime, we loaded the accident victim on our pick-up and drove him to the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital as it was the nearsest one we could think of. Myself, I waited at the scene for the police.

Witnesses, spectators and eventually relatives of the victim showed up. The police officer recorded ID card details of witnesses, relatives etc. Even though it was quite emotional, no one threatened me at any time.

I was called later in the course of the investigation several times to the police station as a witness, there was an investigation against the driver, yes, his car was impounded for a while and he got it back with an old battery, but nothing else happened to him. The charges the family wanted to press against him never went through and he still lives in Soi Siam Country Club at the same place and does not fear for his live.

The only piss poor performance here was the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, they refused treatment unless we scrape together 10,000 Baht upfront. The victim was lying on a stretcher bleeding from nose, ears and mouth and NO ONE administered even first aid before we paid up. He was then transferred to the Pattaya Memorial where he passed away the next day. I still remember the nurse carrying the ECG device to the ambulance, dragging the cables behind her over the floor.

And now I know it was a dumped body, probable murder victim, I am even more satisfied I did the right thing in the dark at 5:30 am on Sukhumvit.

The fact there has been nothing on the news is not surprising. Most serious crimes never make it to the press here. The press only print the official police statements and if the police don't release anyway, nothing is in the press. When there's no kudos for them, they say nothing. When they're paid off, they say nothing. When it's inconvenient, they say nothing. Where's there's no resolution, they say nothing. Take your pick.

she wasn't a suspect from what I understand, but questioned as a witness. This is a difference.

If she wasn't a suspect, then why did they inspect her car:

"she was asked to go to the police station where she had to give a statement and the bodywork of her car was given a thorough visual inspection.."

she wasn't a suspect from what I understand, but questioned as a witness. This is a difference.

"she was asked to go to the police station where she had to give a statement and the bodywork of her car was given a thorough visual inspection.."

I don't think she was a suspect, I think the decision to inspect the car I assume would be, as had been said before, standard practice of elimination,,, but as I was saying, if they had found damage to the car that was totally unrelated to the accident , then they may think they have a suspect,,,,, that was my worry ,,,, I believe the OP made the right decision,,, Probably same feeling as one of the other posters having exp of working in West Africa,,,, don't get involved when there are plenty of locals that can do that, and if the locals themselves don't help, (start to wonder why) and assess the situation by yourself from there.

I don't think she was a suspect, I think the decision to inspect the car I assume would be, as had been said before, standard practice of elimination,,, but as I was saying, if they had found damage to the car that was totally unrelated to the accident , then they may think they have a suspect,,,,, that was my worry ,,,, I believe the OP made the right decision,,, Probably same feeling as one of the other posters having exp of working in West Africa,,,, don't get involved when there are plenty of locals that can do that, and if the locals themselves don't help, (start to wonder why) and assess the situation by yourself from there.

She was a suspect until they eliminated her as a suspect after a "thorough visual inspection" of her car". This is obvious. Anyone reporting a crime is a suspect until proven otherwise, so you have to ask yourself - is it worth getting involved?

Tropo, if you read my initial reply to this post by Briggsy you will see that I suggested "if they HAD found damage to her car" (unrelated to incident),,,, then she more than likely would have become a suspect and therefore put herself in a potentially dangerous situation,,,, we all know "this is Thailand" and what do we know what may and may not happen, personally I would not want to put my family in that situation, however in saying that, I think each situation could be asessed differently,, so my tuppence worth to Briggsy is I agree 100% with you that you made correct decision

Tropo, if you read my initial reply to this post by Briggsy you will see that I suggested "if they HAD found damage to her car" (unrelated to incident),,,, then she more than likely would have become a suspect and therefore put herself in a potentially dangerous situation,,,, we all know "this is Thailand" and what do we know what may and may not happen, personally I would not want to put my family in that situation, however in saying that, I think each situation could be asessed differently,, so my tuppence worth to Briggsy is I agree 100% with you that you made correct decision

standard practice or not, what if she had a scrape on the car totally unrelated, I am just suggesting how easy it could be to get into a fix, although in the end no negative consequences, but I have advised her not to get involved next time,

Sorry Tropo, I see it was not in my initial reply to briggsy but a follow on,,, just stating my concerns here

thanks

Sorry Tropo, I see it was not in my initial reply to briggsy but a follow on,,, just stating my concerns here

thanks

I used to hear a saying often bandied around in the Philippines "No good deed goes unpunished". I actually experienced the truth of this first hand on a number of occasions when I lived there. It didn't take long to learn that the same adage applies equally over here, but this time I didn't have to learn it by personal experience, but through the bad experiences of others.

The rules from back at home don't apply here.

Edited by tropo

thanks

I used to hear a saying often bandied around in the Philippines "No good deed goes unpunished". I actually experienced the truth of this first hand on a number of occasions when I lived there. It didn't take long to learn that the same adage applies equally over here, but this time I didn't have to learn it by personal experience, but through the bad experiences of others.

Agreed, looked like were coming from different angles there, but arriving at the same result,

thanks

Hey, man.

How's it going?

Did you get my recent messages( Thai Visa and e-mail)?

- Dave.