Perfume Duty

The Dan Sai Kid

Do you have to pay duty on opened bottles of perfume?  Me and my wife are moving back to LOS after 2 years in the UK, and my wife has amassed a few bottles of perfume.

Can she take them back to Thailand without paying duty?  There are about a dozen bottles.

I wouldn't worry about it. As a practical matter all accompanied, non-commercial personal baggage for farangs is free of duty. Just head right out of the airport through the nothing-to-declare lane. In twenty something years of going in and out of Bangkok hundreds of times, I've seen only a handful of people stopped by customs and every one of those have been prosperous-looking Thais who had all the earmarks of just returning from a shopping expedition to Hong Kong.

Do you have to pay duty on opened bottles of perfume?  Me and my wife are moving back to LOS after 2 years in the UK, and my wife has amassed a few bottles of perfume.

Can she take them back to Thailand without paying duty?  There are about a dozen bottles.

I wouldn't worry about it. As a practical matter all accompanied, non-commercial personal baggage for farangs is free of duty. Just head right out of the airport through the nothing-to-declare lane. In twenty something years of going in and out of Bangkok hundreds of times, I've seen only a handful of people stopped by customs and every one of those have been prosperous-looking Thais who had all the earmarks of just returning from a shopping expedition to Hong Kong.

Not only farangs, even the locals should be no problem. use the nothing-to-declare lane.