How To Prove Residency For Us National For Wife'S Cr-1 Visa?

Hi,

I've been living in Thailand for 5 years. Currently working on getting my wife a CR-1 visa. Been sent packet 3. Asked to prove domicile in the US. What I do have: Bank account in the US with funds, expired California dirver's license with permanent address (my dad's address), copy of tax returns on which that permanent address has been used..that's about it. Would that be enough? My wife and I are planing on staying at my dad's house until we find lodging. I find it quiet strange that one who has been leaving abroad for many years has to prove US residency: I have obviously been a Thai resident for all that time. Please advice.

Thanks

the instructions gives a list of ways to prove US residency and just says to use a combination of the items listed..so, not that specific really as to how many

items or what combination would be acceptable. Was just hoping to get some advice from someone who has gone through the process in order to evaluate in my 'proofs' were sufficient.

I expect the reason they want you to prove your U.S. domicile is because some U.S. citizens don't live in the U.S. anymore and don't plan to, BUT have married a foreigner, took them back to the U.S., left (abandoned) them in the U.S., and then returned to whatever part of the world they were living in. Now, I would sure hope this would not apply to those folks such as yourself who have not spent many, many, many years living overseas, you been paying your U.S. taxes, etc.

Seems domicile is determined/proved on a case by case basis...depends on your proof...each individual's circumstances. See below U.S. Embassy Bangkok webpage for more info.

Domicile - U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

Good luck...I married a Thai about a zillion years ago, took her to the U.S., we are still married, and now we are retired living in Thailand. So, what I went through to get her green card is too far back in time for me to remember, but I do remember the paperwork had more bark than bite. Good luck.

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through this process. Took about a year.... Have your father write a letter for you. Can't hurt. Do you get any mail there? Heres some more info that I hope will help you or others:

You have to show that you can support her. Thats your biggest part of it.

I just finished a "wife Visa" process that took about one year to do and I work in support of U.S. Forces. Some things we learned to show that you have a legitimate relationship, marriage in my case, were:

1.) Records of chats

2.) phone records / copies of phone bills.

3.) emails, emails, emails

4.) About 100 pictures of you and her together doing different things.

5.) If you use SKYPE, you can easily get records of these communications of "YOUR ACCOUNT". Chats on SKYPE I had to copy and paste into a word document. You may have to write a letter as to why they don't have a header from the site. Just explain that its not possible to get the chats from SKYPE and you copied and pasted them. I had 117 pages worth.

6.) Text messages (if you can save to your computer) and print them out.

These were the BIGGEST hurtle for my Thai wife and I because I had spent HUNDREDS of dollars on prepaid phone cards, but they won't look at those. I had saved every one of them.

I also used a service in Thailand because the paperwork for my wife would have been overwhelming and I wasn't there to help her. I paid probably a lot, but I was glad that I did. They did the translations to English too for the documents that are in Thai. They also printed out everything I sent them regarding chats, SKYPE history, etc...

Have her get a copy of her birth certificate now. She will have to travel to where she was born to get this.

She will need a copy of a police record too showing she has no arrests for the prohibited crimes: drugs and prostitution are the big ones.

Just some insight and things I wish I knew. It was a lot of work, but we got the VISA finally.

Best of luck to you.