Buying Property

Guest Unregistered: Airone

Guest Unregistered: Airone

Hi all,

I'd like to buy a condo, somewhere in or around Chiang Mai while still in Australia. And I have lots of questions:

1/ How much can I expect to pay? (Say 55 sq. meters as an example).

2/ What are the legal processes?

3/ Can it be in my name? (or should it be in the name of my Thai GF?, if so: no deal, I may be crazy but I am not stupid! GF can change)

4/ While finishing my working life in aussieland, can I have it rented? If so how do I go about it? and how much can I expect to get? Will the rent cover the bank interests?

5/ About banking, is it easy to get a loan from a Thai bank while living and working in another country? I work for the Aust. government and the job is quite secure.

6/ How much deposit should I be expected to pay?

7/ What about the costs of maintenance fees, and taxes?

8/ And finally (until more questions pop up later following your answers), do you think it is a a good deal? should I consider renting as a better alternative? but if I do I won't get the kind of security properties give and Thai wives like (if it come to that as I believe it will). I think I understand Thai girls marrying farangs, and don't blame them a bit. And by the way (unrelated), what kind of marriage should I consider from a legal point of vue?

9/ What (if any) are the dangers of such a move? (Not marrying, buying a property... well both!).

At this stage, it's only talk, but I intend to make the commitment early next year if I decide to do it at all.

Thanks all in advance for the help and cues I am sure to get from you.