Penniless German Arrested For Overstay & Unpaid Hotel Bill

Rimmer

Penniless German Arrested for Overstay & Unpaid Hotel Bill

PATTAYA: -- A German tourist staying at the Marriot Hotel in Pattaya who had overstayed his visa by one month was arrested by Pattaya police for none payment of his hotel bill on Saturday.

Pattaya 12th June 2010 [PDN] At 00.30 am the tourist police received a report by Mr. Soontorn Changnong, [33], the security manager of the Marriot Hotel Pattaya, that a German tourist staying at the hotel since the 8th June, had a bill totalling approximately 47,500 baht which included costs for several amnesties that he had been taking advantage of whilst staying at the hotel.

Full story with pictures HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

2010-06-13

Mr. Hofmann who claimed himself as an engineer said, he had met a Thai woman and had over spent during his time with her and that she had now left him since he has run out of money.

I'm shocked. :D

Im shocked his family (wife?kids?) after hearing about him overspending on a thai girl, have not replied to his requests for money :)

the hide of them:lol:

I'm surprised the hotel let him stay so long without paying for his room.

Whenever I stay at a hotel or guest house in SE Asia I always have to pay for my nights in advance and simply assumed this was the "norm" here.

thats nice, it would be nice if the police would arrest the overstayer thats using fake police ID to try and steal from my room while Im out of the country too but I guess thats to much to ask of them

Edited by rafval

Don't think the authorities here will be giving him any 'amnesties'. It's lock-up in the IDC till you cough up.TIT baby. No money no honey. No money no release from jail. Do not pass go. Do not receive 200 Baht. When you got no cash, this sure ain't the land of smiles no more. Those handcuffs are staying on.

Whenever I stay at a hotel or guest house in SE Asia I always have to pay for my nights in advance and simply assumed this was the "norm" here.

in the more upmarket establishments they hand you the bill as you check out.

In my experience, on checkin, the upmarket hotels normally insist upon taking an imprint of your credit card and advise that they are arranging to block an amount which approximates to the expected total bill for your stay.

If you extend your stay or go over the blocked amount, they would usually request either a payment on account, or an icrease in the blocked amount.

This obviously excludes those staying under a previously setup corporate or credit arrangement.

in the more upmarket establishments they hand you the bill as you check out.

Yes, I know that - I've also stayed at a couple of good hotels. They always take a copy of my cc and reserve a specified amount on the card (plus Baht 1,000 extra for eventual telephone or mini-bar costs). The bill will be settled when I check out.

But if a guest doesn't check out by 12 noon the reception calls to request the cc again in order to reserve the addition night on the card.

This is what surprised me most about this German guest getting "away" with living in the hotel for so long.

What a dumb arse. Another One bites the dust. On the other hand it took the hotel 30 days to figure out this guy was a dead beat?

47k + 30 days, at the Marriot ? Was he sleeping on the floor? lol.

Don't think the authorities here will be giving him any 'amnesties'. It's lock-up in the IDC till you cough up.TIT baby. No money no honey. No money no release from jail. Do not pass go. Do not receive 200 Baht. When you got no cash, this sure ain't the land of smiles no more. Those handcuffs are staying on.

..and all the days in jail are also counted as overstay.laugh.gif Is there a Catch-22 emoticon?

He should have worn a Red shirt, can do anyhting with one of them on. :)

I have to agree with you on that one...

Last year I whitnessed a policeman enforcing the one way system, stopping every car and bike going the wrong way, then came along a bike with 3 red shirts, he stoped them and told them to go the other way, then the woman on the back said something to him and he let them continue, must have been something like "we know who you are and where you live".

What a dumb arse. Another One bites the dust. On the other hand it took the hotel 30 days to figure out this guy was a dead beat?

47k + 30 days, at the Marriot ? Was he sleeping on the floor? lol.

The article says he checked in to the hotel on the 8th of June, arrested on 12 th June - that is 4 nights and maybe a bit of the 5th night, NOT 30 days!!!

..and all the days in jail are also counted as overstay.laugh.gif Is there a Catch-22 emoticon?

thats not exactly true, he will just have to do some time then come up with an airfare, he will have saved himself the overstay fine by going to jail