Are There Really So Many?

tigerfish

i am really starting to believe that theres more than i thought!

some of the crap ive had to listen to in the years i have spent in the LOS is just beyond belief.

are there really so many of them out there?

do they really think that everything they have to say about their so called experiences is really going to be believed.

these guys are living in la la land.

Edited by tigerfish

There are a lot of men in the US who believe that dressing up and pretending that they are still (if they ever were) in the service. Misusing military jargon, wearing uniforms and ribbons, they like to think they "belong".

I guess that the appeal is international.

I doubt very much that all those guys who yak off about military service are for real , for all my years in the kingdom , very few even had an inkling I had extensive service , mostly on active duty , it was for me to know and them to find out , real soldiers do not look for bragging rights , they do not need them .

I spent a total of 5 years in the Australian military (Navy & Air Force).

I have no compulsion whatsoever, to make the military look good in any light. On the contrary, I have only negative things to say about any military force.

Edited by elkangorito

^Call me anything but late for dinner.

Back on topic, I don't know where all these SAS people are, Ive never met any here & I don't actually recall anyone on TV claiming to be one either. Theres a few ex army such as yourself and a few coppers and thats about it.

Im suspecting some people spend too much time on bar stools.

There are plenty of ex-military here. It is the ones that claim to be special forces that one should be suspicious of.

Agreed,generally asking what regiment they were in or their number is met by stammering and drivel.

for the record i have the up most respect for all ex servicemen and women of all nations.

you will more often than not though, find them not talking about their past experiences.

whoever these people may be, have a little respect!

Edited by tigerfish

Yes there are a lot, I know a lot of ex British Army are living quite happily in Thailand on their army pensions which after about 25 years of service they can get potentially early 40's retirement for them.

Joined the UK army many years back. During my stint behind enemy lines

in Europe during WWII I rescued 10 soldiers from a POW camp in France.

I was then decorated by the queen with the Gallantry Cross. After this I

was initiated into the SAS where I saved many lifes and killed many

terrorists. I became the most decorated solider in British history. (dreaming)

I am a divorced bricklayer from Bolton. I now live on a rice farm in between

Buriram and Surin and spend all day long drinking Chang! (reality)

People can make up any shit they want.

Joined the UK army many years back. During my stint behind enemy lines

in Europe during WWII I rescued 10 soldiers from a POW camp in France.

I was then decorated by the queen with the Gallantry Cross. After this I

was initiated into the SAS where I saved many lifes and killed many

terrorists. I became the most decorated solider in British history. (dreaming)

Stories like this are not always bullshit, I have a family member (now deceased) who was in the army during the second world war. However if he was alive today he would be 104 years old according to the document that I have he was born in July 1905.

The notable things from the document which is his 'Soldiers Service and Pay Book' are that in 1943 he was granted 'SAS Operational Wings, to be worn on left breast' and got the 'Italy Star', 'Africa Star' and something called the '1939-48' star'.

This was my great grandad, from stories I was told he was shot in the head whilst parachuting into Italy, luckily for him it was not a serious injury and he fought on for many a day after this incident.

Some of the details are 'blacked out', I have no idea what it originally said there.

post-44895-078509000 1276448997_thumb.jp

Edited by ukrules

I'm ex-military, Retired US Army with over 26 years active duty time and I have met afew wannabes while in Bangkik including some crreep who claimed he was an Ex US Airforce 29 yr old Colonel. I have never met so many ex special Ops soliders in my life as I have in the bars in Bangkok and none of them were the real deal. I have called out more than a few and even have called some of them liars. While I haven't meet all of them but I know of an ex Special forces Captian, real deal< and another an Army retired NCO. I have seen a few of them around the washington Square area, at least they have the looks of being retired military. But any way I can spot a faker a mile away. almost forgot I met an ex east german solder and after talking to him a few minute I knew he was the real deal, by the way I only offer to tell someone about my backround while out and about if only asked, I never volunteer it.

There have been something like 6,000 US Navy SEALS since its inception, and I swear I have met 8,000 of them in various pubs!

As  a midshipman, I attended a BUD/S Indoc course one summer, and I have trained with SEALS as a Marine, so I did get much of the cultural lingo.  And there is one thing in training at Coronado where you enter the surf, then come out and roll in the sand, becoming a "sugar cookie," (funny until you have to run after.)  And for all these wannabe SEALS, when I mention that, they think I am talking about a special treat in the chow hall!

Evidently, the big thing now is to say you were a Marine sniper.  That is also a rather easy one to debunk.  Then there was the Marine "general" who just got outed.  He had been the grand marshal for a few parades and was a member of the local VFW.  And recently, there was an Army or National Guard sergeant who was given enlisted at his rank based on his supposed Marine service as a sergeant.  He was outed when he couldn't name his supposed Marine unit in Iraq.

It is pretty sorry when folks feel the necessity to make up military service.  I don't think there are any more of them here in Thailand than anywhere else, though.

its 52 years since I joined the "Mob"!If it wasnt for the photos I wouldnt remember(except my number !)

I didn't join the mob, in front of my number is US not RA. As far as remembering that period, its hard not too as I receive medical through the VA. I think not what I did, but of my friends.

There have been something like 6,000 US Navy SEALS since its inception, and I swear I have met 8,000 of them in various pubs!

As  a midshipman, I attended a BUD/S Indoc course one summer, and I have trained with SEALS as a Marine, so I did get much of the cultural lingo.  And there is one thing in training at Coronado where you enter the surf, then come out and roll in the sand, becoming a "sugar cookie," (funny until you have to run after.)  And for all these wannabe SEALS, when I mention that, they think I am talking about a special treat in the chow hall!

Evidently, the big thing now is to say you were a Marine sniper.  That is also a rather easy one to debunk.  Then there was the Marine "general" who just got outed.  He had been the grand marshal for a few parades and was a member of the local VFW.  And recently, there was an Army or National Guard sergeant who was given enlisted at his rank based on his supposed Marine service as a sergeant.  He was outed when he couldn't name his supposed Marine unit in Iraq.

It is pretty sorry when folks feel the necessity to make up military service.  I don't think there are any more of them here in Thailand than anywhere else, though.

Thanks for that "sugar cookie" now I just have to learn to speak loud American English and voila, the next Navy Seal is born :D

Thanks God we Swiss dont need to bullshit about being ex Army, as we all have been invited to be part of it :)