Help With Fax Needed

livingthedream

Dear smart guys,

I have tried to set up my Acer notebook (still clinging lovingly to XP) to send and recieve faxes to my bank abroad as I use this facility a lot and thought it would be easier to have everything in one place.

I can create and save faxes but when it comes to sending them I get various messages depending on what configuration I try, stating that fax failed, no dial tone, no answer,

or just gives up. I have tried a variety of telephone numbers prefixed with 001,008,007 but all with the same result. I use a Billion ADSL router and Maxnet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

:)

Maybe I'm just ... misunderstanding your problem but...

I worry about you mentioning about you ADSL router...

As far as I know you don't send faxes using the ADSL router unless you have some kind of internet-to-fax service.

Assuming you don't have any such service you need to connect the modem port of your computer to the phone line....

Martin

Don't believe you can fax directly via ADSL; you must fax via/go through an internet efax-type service (which may be free or cost something). Whatever fax software you are using will need to be setup to dial and transmit via analog means like a landline phone call/ fax machine going through your computer's modem port (not your ADSL modem).

Edited by Pib

As already said you can not use the adsl, look on the computer you will see a connector similar to the network connector but not as wide, that is for the phone line, you need a standard phone cable in this socket to send faxes.

Thanks for all the replies. The solution was so simple I'm ashamed and embarassed that I didn't realise before ( losing too much sleep watching football at stupid o'clock)

As suggested by Siamect, Pib and GaryH I just inserted the phone line into my phone line -in on the notebook and everything went through without any problems.

Many thanks for being so patient and not making me look like a complete idiot !:)

Over the years I have found 2 services to solve my fax needs, one inbound one outbound.

For inbound I have had a J2 (eFax) for a decade.. All inbound faxes and voicemails to my email.. Wherever I am no matter my connection or lack of it, I have the fax.

For outbound PalmFax either stand alone or linked to use my skype credit works for me.. Any scanned document or typed up on the PC no problems sending. I also keep a scan of my passport ID and signature in google docs so that no matter where I am I can embed my signature onto a document and fax it easily.

Those 2 systems paired together solves my fax needs for reception and broadcast no matter where I travel or what my connection is or what PC I use.