General World Cup Discussion Thread

sharecropper

:D

Anybody here who watched the USA vs Slovenia match. 2-2 tie. Granted the Slovenians played well. But what in h_ll was the justification of the USA having their third goal disallowed. I've watched the replay 3 or 4 times...and I can't see what the reason was. Except to say the USA was hard done by the refs there. Did anyone see something I didn't see?

Even now, (I'm watching England vs Algeria now), and even now the England commentators are criticising that last USA goal (exactly what they called it) and the refs decision to disallow it.

:)

FIFA made a huge mistake putting in an experienced ref at this level. When you get to the final 32 at world cup play it is FIFA's responsibility to bring in the world's best referees for the world's best teams. FIFA is undoubtedly aware of their mistake and has rushed their performance review of Coulibali's work in the USA Slovenia game and ruled that it was poor. They are making an announcement on it on Monday.

On the goal, I have read everything I can in the US and foreign press that is in English and having recorded the game have replayed the goal numerous times. The bottom line is that it was not a goal only because Coulibali ruled it wasn't a goal. Otherwise, it was a goal.

I look forward to FIFA's announcement on Coulibali's future at the world cup level tomorrow.

These sort of mistakes occur at every World Cup and Euros. England suffered in 2004 when a last minute goal against Portugal in the quarters was deemed by the ref not a goal.

Perhaps USA have been lucky in not having to deal with too many of these travesties inflicted on them in the past?

Anyway, i feel your pain.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody here who watched the USA vs Slovenia match. 2-2 tie. Granted the Slovenians played well. But what in h_ll was the justification of the USA having their third goal disallowed. I've watched the replay 3 or 4 times...and I can't see what the reason was. Except to say the USA was hard done by the refs there. Did anyone see something I didn't see?

Even now, (I'm watching England vs Algeria now), and even now the England commentators are criticising that last USA goal (exactly what they called it) and the refs decision to disallow it.

FIFA made a huge mistake putting in an experienced ref at this level. When you get to the final 32 at world cup play it is FIFA's responsibility to bring in the world's best referees for the world's best teams. FIFA is undoubtedly aware of their mistake and has rushed their performance review of Coulibali's work in the USA Slovenia game and ruled that it was poor. They are making an announcement on it on Monday.

On the goal, I have read everything I can in the US and foreign press that is in English and having recorded the game have replayed the goal numerous times. The bottom line is that it was not a goal only because Coulibali ruled it wasn't a goal. Otherwise, it was a goal.

I look forward to FIFA's announcement on Coulibali's future at the world cup level tomorrow.

Agreed they shouldnt get referees who arent used to working in top end games.

But look on the bright side .... draw and youre through.

Sorry but I don't see it as being that easy and it should be even easier the U.S. should be at the top uncontested for the most part without being unseated no matter what the outcome of the next match. There is no justification and honestly besides the president being set, I can't see why, if FIFA agrees it was a poor job of refereeing and there is still a week to go before the next group match why they can't set a new presidence right now and declare a granted goal for a clearly deficient call.

Let the apples fall where they may from there it only rewards the team that earned it anyway, it changes nothing else in the grand scheme of things as it would be nothing more then sour grapes if any other team should be in opposition to such an awarding and I doubt any really would quite the contrary I believe it would foster world wide credibility and respect..This is an obvious and extreme case and example which warrants more then just answering "oh well that's football, refs make mistakes!" especially when it wasn't just the refs mistake in this case it was clearly FIFA's selection and scheduling process as well...

Every sport has adopted some form of current live or post event type of policing and make various corrections accordingly so why does FIFA feel the need to be so omnipotent in their policy stance it's time for a serious change and this is the type of incident that constitutes it..Time to man up FIFA!!

forgive me and correct me if i am wrong, but i dont remember seeing any goals so far in this world cup that have been scored from a free kick. let alone anything spectacular. a couple of well worked goals, but nothing to set the world a light.

what are we nearly 10 days into the competition, 26 odd games played and not much in the way of great moments/ incidents that i can think of.

it happens every 4 years, but if the governing bodies of fifa want this world cup to be remembered for all the right reasons.its hardly the perfect start!

Edited by tigerfish

Sorry but I don't see it as being that easy and it should be even easier the U.S. should be at the top uncontested for the most part without being unseated no matter what the outcome of the next match. There is no justification and honestly besides the president being set, I can't see why, if FIFA agrees it was a poor job of refereeing and there is still a week to go before the next group match why they can't set a new presidence right now and declare a granted goal for a clearly deficient call.

Let the apples fall where they may from there it only rewards the team that earned it anyway, it changes nothing else in the grand scheme of things as it would be nothing more then sour grapes if any other team should be in opposition to such an awarding and I doubt any really would quite the contrary I believe it would foster world wide credibility and respect..This is an obvious and extreme case and example which warrants more then just answering "oh well that's football, refs make mistakes!" especially when it wasn't just the refs mistake in this case it was clearly FIFA's selection and scheduling process as well...

Every sport has adopted some form of current live or post event type of policing and make various corrections accordingly so why does FIFA feel the need to be so omnipotent in their policy stance it's time for a serious change and this is the type of incident that constitutes it..Time to man up FIFA!!

You want FIFA to rip up the rule book and start again half way through a World Cup? It aint gonna happen pal so just get over it.

Or keep whinging about it I know I would.....probably for the next decade or so....won't make no difference but still... :rolleyes:

I was sad to see the Cameroons get knocked out of their division. Their game today against Denmark was one of the best matches I've watched so far. Both teams were playing aggressive attacking style soccer. Tthe passes were on target and handled well. There was lots of end to end action wtih both teams making runs at the box. It is only a bit of luck that the score wasn't much higher... on either side. In any case, the Dutch are through in that division and Denmark (with a bit of luck) will probably make it past Japan.

forgive me and correct me if i am wrong, but i dont remember seeing any goals so far in this world cup that have been scored from a free kick. let alone anything spectacular. a couple of well worked goals, but nothing to set the world a light.

what are we nearly 10 days into the competition, 26 odd games played and not much in the way of great moments/ incidents that i can think of.

it happens every 4 years, but if the governing bodies of fifa want this world cup to be remembered for all the right reasons.its hardly the perfect start!

I was a bit sceptical at the start regarding moans about the new ball but looking at the stats maybe this is one thing FIFA should change for the next round.

Here's a pic of their emergency meeting yesterday to give an idea of their true intent.....

pigs-trough.jpg

there's barely been a shot on target from a freekick, let alone a goal. blame the ball. the players, goalkeepers and managers have all complained about it and fifa continues to ignore them. every player lining up a freekick so far has been so conscious of keeping it low to avoid it ballooning over the bar that they're never going to score from one.

They should have cameras on the line, thats it imho ... some you win some you lose.

You can't really allow the goal after the fact because IF it had counted, the remaining 5-7 minutes would have been played differently by Slovenia. The US just got screwed like so many before them. However, this is a little different in that the ref didn't even say what the infraction was. So it wasn't a bad call in the sense that he called something a foul that wasn't, he just disallowed the goal for reasons known only to him and the people who are paying him.

You want FIFA to rip up the rule book and start again half way through a World Cup? It aint gonna happen pal so just get over it.

Or keep whinging about it I know I would.....probably for the next decade or so....won't make no difference but still... :rolleyes:

Oh I said rip up the rule book did I? How about a link to the rule that states if a team scores a goal and the ref is a putz and calls it a non goal that the rules making, governing body and over-sear of that ref does not have the ability to amend a rule that doesn't even exist in the first place?? Surely you jest?? Don't be another mindless Seth Blatter clone, no reason whatsoever that they can't do it and such changes have been made over the course of sporting history in all sorts of events by the very governing bodies who have done such it's what forms sports and rule to begin with, F1 is a perfect example of doing so as are most pro level organizations. It's only FIFA that has rules apparently cast by god in stone..

JFYI it's not whinging to make a comment about an obvious flaw in the rules and over-sight by the governing body of those rules. It's pointing out their failings so that they can do something to make them and the sport better and more fair... It's also not half way through the world cup it's not even half way through the first round and yes it is quite possible to make a change such as this for this and all future matches right now at this point, it effects nothing else adversely so the timing couldn't be more advantageous..

Edited by WarpSpeed

They should have cameras on the line, thats it imho ... some you win some you lose.

But that would have had no effect on this blatantly irresponsible call. It's also another matter that by not allowing for live official oversight that they open themselves up to more of what has been corrupt referring in the recent past and game fixing to gain money favors if the ref has the last say whatever then even sanctions post game do not change the final outcome and pay off during the game.. The absolution needs to be addressed, name me one other sport in which the referee has complete autonomous control of a call without possible consultation or justification by at least one other referee??

Oh I said rip up the rule book did I? How about a link to the rule that states if a team scores a goal and the ref is a putz and calls it a non goal that the rules making, governing body and over-sear of that ref does not have the ability to amend a rule that doesn't even exist in the first place?? Surely you jest?? Don't another mindless Seth Blatter clone, no reason whatsoever that they can't do it and such changes have been made over the course of sporting history in all sorts of events by the very governing bodies who have done such it's what forms sports and rule to begin with, F1 is a perfect example of doing so as are most pro level organizations. It's only FIFA that has rules apparently cast by god in stone..

JFYI it's not whinging to make a comment about an obvious flaw in the rules and over-sight by the governing body of those rules. It's pointing out their failings so that they can do something to make them and the sport better and more fair... It's also not half way through the world cup it's not even half way through the first round and yes it is quite possible to make a change such as this for this and all future matches right now at this point, it effects nothing else adversely so the timing couldn't be more advantageous..

Rather than contributing paragraph after paragraph you might as well say 'Its not fair' to which we will all grin knowingly and agree.

When it happens to our team you can stick the boot right back in......we love this aspect of the game warpspeed cos it gives us plenty of opportunity to take the piss.

Good luck in your final game BTW I hope you top the group and send England to face their hated enemies in another penalty shootout.....:D

Edit That should have said turkey shoot.....forgot I was talking 'bout England.

Edited by smokie36

You can't really allow the goal after the fact because IF it had counted, the remaining 5-7 minutes would have been played differently by Slovenia. The US just got screwed like so many before them. However, this is a little different in that the ref didn't even say what the infraction was. So it wasn't a bad call in the sense that he called something a foul that wasn't, he just disallowed the goal for reasons known only to him and the people who are paying him.

Pure speculation and also highly unlikely, they should always be playing for the win like the US was and if not well that's too bad, but the goal should not have been disallowed that's not speculation it's fact..

Your last part is reason enough to ALLOW it, it is too fishy and may have other implications such as pay off...Lot of money being thrown around on these games already best keep it as honest as possible..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Oh I said rip up the rule book did I? How about a link to the rule that states if a team scores a goal and the ref is a putz and calls it a non goal that the rules making, governing body and over-sear of that ref does not have the ability to amend a rule that doesn't even exist in the first place?? Surely you jest?? Don't another mindless Seth Blatter clone, no reason whatsoever that they can't do it and such changes have been made over the course of sporting history in all sorts of events by the very governing bodies who have done such it's what forms sports and rule to begin with, F1 is a perfect example of doing so as are most pro level organizations. It's only FIFA that has rules apparently cast by god in stone..

Rather than contributing paragraph after paragraph you might as well say 'Its not fair' to which we will all grin knowingly and agree.

When it happens to our team you can stick the boot right back in......we love this aspect of the game warpspeed cos it gives us plenty of opportunity to take the piss.

Good luck in your final game BTW I hope you top the group and send England to face their hated enemies in another penalty shootout.....:D

Honestly I couldn't give a toss about it being my team, I want to change the rule for the betterment of the sport for all teams, it happens all too often in critical games and something needs to be done..

But thanks for the well wishes anyway, it seems we may be the only former colony left after the first round at this rate..

Honestly I couldn't give a toss about it being my team, I want to change the rule for the betterment of the sport for all teams, it happens all too often in critical games and something needs to be done..

But thanks for the well wishes anyway, it seems we may be the only former colony left after the first round at this rate..

Many of us disagree with having TV replays deciding goals and such like because we want to see a flowing game of football and such a rule change would make the game boring from a fans perspective.

Nothing better than getting one over your rivals with a dodgy decision thrown in to twist the knife.....hehe

^ You should check out the Germany v Austria game from 1982 warpspeed or ask an Algerian how they feel about that one. That's the only time I can think of where the rules were changed and quite rightly too.

But Smokie because they didn't have such things in 1982 doesn't mean that it has to be that way in 2010... There is no comparison with the TV and other technologies of that era compared to now, where even the refs have on ear phones and mics now where as those we not used back then either, it is very easy for them to stop play on critical plays such as this and have a quick review in super slow mo now where as it wasn't before.

I also don't know specifically what incident you're referring too with Algeria my memory has never been that specific, but if any team takes pleasure in winning unjustly they're not good sportsmen and their point is moot in that case, you win by being the best on that day not by poor refereeing..

Edited by WarpSpeed

^ You should check out the Germany v Austria game from 1982 warpspeed or ask an Algerian how they feel about that one. That's the only time I can think of where the rules were changed and quite rightly too.

But Smokie because they didn't have such things in 1982 doesn't mean that it has to be that way in 2010... There is no comparison with the TV and other technologies of that era compared to now, where even the refs have on ear phones and mics now where as those we not used back then either, it is very easy for them to stop play on critical plays such as this and have a quick review in super slow mo now where as it wasn't before.

You miss my point I love the game with its element of human error its part of the entertainment.

Many of us disagree with having TV replays deciding goals and such like because we want to see a flowing game of football and such a rule change would make the game boring from a fans perspective.

Nothing better than getting one over your rivals with a dodgy decision thrown in to twist the knife.....hehe

Please don't assume you speak for the world for which I'm part of and it does not slow anything down, IF it's used properly.. For example of the games I've seen so far which is quite a few there has been a few rare examples where it would have been needed this one and the non penalty call for South Africa is the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head.. How is 2 calls going to significantly slow down the preponderance of games?? I think it's a worthy change for the purpose of a properly called game and fairness..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I've always been for video replay and always will be. The human error element of refereeing any sport should be taken out as much as possible especially in something that comes along only once every four years. Countries will always have a chance to participate over the decades but the same can't be said for the athletes themselves. One ref that is either incompetent, corrupt or both, can ruin it for a team of hardworking, deserving athletes - whether they be millionaire professionals or not. A chance to compete in something like the World Cup is amazing and to have it ruined by incompetence is bad enough, but to have it end so someone can line their pockets should be a crime everywhere.

Who is the drama coach for Italy.

I see by the way they play they are very good at acting out their parts.

I was watching one Italian player actually look up to see if the ref was watching his performance; when he saw it no use got up and kept going.

Honestly, that type of action needs a yellow card.

Just my thoughts. :jap: B):D

I was watching one Italian player actually look up to see if the ref was watching his performance; when he saw it no use got up and kept going.

definately looked like they milked that penalty, :ph34r:

but if the All Whites hold Italy to 1-1 I would take it B)

anyone know who won the WC last time? :whistling:

Edited by Donnyboy

definately looked like they milked that penalty, :ph34r:

but if the All Whites hold Italy to 1-1 I would take it B)

anyone know who won the WC last time? :whistling:

Id say it was a penalty though a very needless one, he did have a hold of his shirt, but was good to see NZ do so well the keeper was fantastic.

In the murder capital of the world ... an Englishman is in court for going into a dressing room.

Needless to say i will never be visiting this police state.

World Cup: England Football Fan Pavlos Joseph Appears In Court Charged With Trespassing | World News | Sky News

The football fan who managed to get into the England dressing room after the team's World Cup draw against Algeria has appeared in court charged with trespassing

Pavlos Joseph, 32, was arrested after police analysed CCTV footage and traced him back to his hotel in Camps Bay, Cape Town.

He was remanded on bail until Monday and banned from attending any World Cup matches before a ruling has been made against him.

Twelve armed officers stood guard in the Cape Town court.

After discussions between Fifa and South African authorities security personnel will now be deployed within stadiums in all host cities to prevent a similar incident taking place.

Sky's David Bowden, reporting from the South African city, said the mortgage adviser's family is with him and they believe he was being made into a scapegoat.

"He [Joseph] has tickets for the game next week and his family intends to go," Bowden said.

"They said the police tried to take the tickets of them this morning, but they refused and they also tried to confiscate their passports.

"It is a very big concern for the family because they don't know what is going on."

Joseph's arrest comes after he spoke to the Sunday Mirror, claiming he had only been searching for a lavatory on Saturday night - but stumbled into the team changing room after their shock 0-0 draw ...continued.....................

Edited by hansum

Great game by NZ. Hey Donnyboy, I am from across the Tasman. Oz team needs Italy' drama coach. I just thought they fell over to much without sufficent contact.

The NZ and Oz appear not to play out the potential of the penalty; this appears to be an art in itself.

I usually follow the rugby leauge; but the game tonight was great to see.

NZ is ranked 78 and Italy is ranked 5. How much did they pay for the Italy team? And how much is the NZ team worth? :blink:

They should do the Harka after that. Go the Kiwi's :D

Reigning World Champs Italy have now drawn both their two opening games, against Paraguay and New Zealand. Wonder if they are being booed by their fans?

They don't have enough punch up front to go very far me thinks. Paraguay looks good.

Reigning World Champs Italy have now drawn both their two opening games, against Paraguay and New Zealand. Wonder if they are being booed by their fans?

italian fans tend less to boo, more to break into the training camp en masse and confront the players. or in christian vieri's case, set fire to the bar that he owned.