Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

2. 173

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

3. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

4. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

5. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

6. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

7. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 25

9. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

10. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

11. 1

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

12. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

13. 25

Foreign Banks In Thailand

Due to the hassle of dealing with American clients (IRS and other gov't, agency reporting and record keeping requirements) many international money-center banks do not handle accounts for Americans living or working abroad. Can anyone confirm which (if any) of the major international banks with offices in Bangkok will open accounts for Americans. I am thinking...Citibank, HSBC, Standard-Chartered, AMB-Amro and the like.

I think there is only one foreign bank in Thailand HSBC. Only one branch though. Maybe there are other but not "retail" banking.

As has been said I don't think nationality has anything to do with opening account at any Thai bank.

Also, any bank operating in Thailand has to operate under Thai banking laws/rules/regulations, whether it's a foreign owned or Thai owned bank. I too would be interested to hear the names of any banks in Thailand that won't open an account for an American, or any other foreign nationality.

Well actually Citibank is American... :)

Most international banks are getting nervous dealing with any expat Americans, dont think its a case of refusing to open the accounts, but would be sure there is a system by which the US goverment is informed when a US citizen opens an offshore account.

I am not a Us citizen, but some years ago when I opened an Citibank account in Singapore, the first thing they asked me was whether I was a US citizen or not, and had to sign a declaration and give a copy of my PP.

You could try HSBC, Standard Chartered etc....if they will not touch you nobody will.....Local Thai banks may be an option as well

Get another nationality. And on the day you go to open your account at HSBC, Standard Chartered, and OCBC, tell yourself in the morning that you are not an American 'today.' (and leave your US docs at home)

:)

I would be more interested in you showing some facts regarding that some banks won't allow Americans to open accounts. Sounds silly. Sorry in advance if I am wrong.

try a multinational bank in Singapore, Hong Kong or anywhere on this planet and tell them you are an American and you want to trade a variety of securities at various exchanges and/or OTC. then watch the banker's smile turn into a grimace and listen to his/her apologetic "have sorryness too much Sir but we no like doing homework for your IRS. but if you only want to hold cash in various currencies -on which we pay you either peanuts or zero interest- then no problem!"