Briton And Australian Face Trial Over Thai Unrest

webfact

Briton and Australian face trial over Thai unrest

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A Briton and an Australian will go on trial in a Thai court over their involvement in deadly anti-government protests, a judge said Thursday.

Jeff Savage, a British citizen, and Australian Conor David Purcell denied breaching a state of emergency and inciting violence during the two-month-long "Red Shirt" rallies.

The pair face up to two years' imprisonment if convicted.

Savage, 47, urged the court in Bangkok to deport him rather than continue with the prosecution and said the matter was political rather than criminal.

He said he was in "the wrong place at the wrong time", while 30-year-old Purcell also denied committing any crime.

The court ordered both men to be detained during their trials, which are scheduled to start in late July for Savage and late August for Purcell. Four hearings are expected in each case.

Ninety people died and nearly 1,900 were injured in a series of clashes between security forces and protesters, some of whom set fire to major buildings after a deadly military crackdown on May 19.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-06-17

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK RIOTS

Australian, Briton charged with violating emergency laws

By The Nation, Agencies

A Briton and an Australian who took part in Bangkok warfare and red shirted protests in May were charged Thursday with breaking emergency laws.

The maximum punishment of the charge could lead to two years in prison. Briton Jeff Savage, 48, screamed abusive comments about Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and the PM's wife as he was led past reporters on Thursday. He called Abhisit "a murderer."

Meanwhile Australian Conor Purcell, 30, is accused of breaking emergency laws imposed in Bangkok in May. He was a regular speaker at red shirts protests.

"I'm confident I can beat the charges," Purcell said to reporters.

A video footage showed Savage stating his intention to set fire to the CentralWorld shopping mall after the red shirts leaders surrendered and ended the protests.

"We're gonna smash the Central (World) Plaza, we're gonna loot everything, gold, watches, everything, and then we're gonna burn it to the ground,'' Savage said in the video.

The defence is expected to call Dr weng Tohjirakarn, a red shirt leader, to testify in the Australia's favour. weng is now detained under terrorism charge.

The court set the next hearing for July 28.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-17

Savage deserves to go to jail for saying "that we are going to burn it down" and other comments he made, reported worldwide, and I would suggest more than the 2 years for breaking the emergency rule. Inciting a riot also maybe they can find some more charges, no passport, in the country illegally etc.

No surprises here, Savage was on the front page of dozens of papers so set himself up for it and should answer for anything illegal he may have done. However, his actions do raise a question about whether a resident foreigner should participate in Thailands political landscape when they haven't any rights to vote anyway. In coming here, should we just accept things as they are and never express any sort of opinion ?

Que the idiots with the usual;

"lock them up and throw away the key"

"hope they rot in jail"

Are you related to them or something? What kind of response do you expect? "smart guys...they should go free"

These guys who think they are above the law need an awakening. I am confident they will get it

The court set the next hearing for July 28.

The Nation

The Australian news agency put that date as August 20.

They both were denied bail and so it's another 2 months in prison from now for them.

:):D

Aussie denies Thai emergency law breach

which includes some indication that he knew what was going to happen beforehand.

"My actions at all times were to prevent the massacre that was going to happen," he said.

No surprises here, Savage was on the front page of dozens of papers so set himself up for it and should answer for anything illegal he may have done. However, his actions do raise a question about whether a resident foreigner should participate in Thailands political landscape when they haven't any rights to vote anyway. In coming here, should we just accept things as they are and never express any sort of opinion ?

They are not on trial for "expressing an opinion" They are on trial for breaking the law.

The maximum punishment of the charge could lead to two years in prison. Briton Jeff Savage, 48, screamed abusive comments about Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and the PM's wife as he was led past reporters on Thursday. He called Abhisit "a murderer."

This should really help his defense. What an idiot.

I would hope most of us would have the sense to distance ourselves from protests, peaceful or violent as was displayed in Bangkok. Were they not on stage, basically inciting the crowd and or marching around with a sharpened stick acting displaying a perchance for violence? Its one thing to voice an opinion to peers and discuss or debate same, but display acceptable behavior for all concerned.

It doesn't matter what he says, he is going to be found guilty and deported, so he may as well give them a piece of his mind!

I'm all for using one's discretion abroad ; and understandably the govt couldn't just let them go and say 'don't do it again' .

But I find revolting to have them in court in stinky pajamas and iron-bound.

cattle are often better treated.

I guess the red-shirt leaders will appear in formal suits , clean white shirts and NO irons. This smacks of racism , they like to humiliate them for a part of the electorate to see and enjoy.

Of course if they keep on being aggressive they have to be restrained in court.

But why the ragged pajamas ?

It doesn't matter what he says, he is going to be found guilty and deported, so he may as well give them a piece of his mind!

Not so at all, what he might look forward to is 2 years in a Thai prison vs no more time at all...

Yes, total idiots and they should both get fairly severe treatment...

AFTER the murderers of Leo Del Pinto and... oh God... too many to mention! are brought to justice...

Why is it that saying the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time is a worse offence than killing someone in cold blood?

Amazing Thailand!

I'm all for using one's discretion abroad ; and understandably the govt couldn't just let them go and say 'don't do it again' .

I guess the red-shirt leaders will appear in formal suits , clean white shirts and NO irons. This smacks of racism , they like to humiliate them for a part of the electorate to see and enjoy.

He wanted to be "down with the Thai people" well now he is down with the Thai people pajamas and all. :)

He wanted to be "down with the Thai people" well now he is down with the Thai people pajamas and all. :)

Having Weng speak in your defence doesn't seem like a bright idea. Nor does screaming abuse. But then again, who said either of them were bright?

Given the volume of evidence against them, you'd think a quiet guilty plea would be better, with a possibility of a quiet deportation.

As for the bleeding hearts, both of them committed crimes with clearly stated punishments, and both had been here long enough to know that a Thai prison isn't a resort. Tough TIT.

Idle mind is the devils workshop

you will never teach these guys a lesson with jail term, they just wouldn't get it, not enough grey matter to understand

If this wasn't so serious it would be funny.

Savage was active with the red shirts for over a year

he was seen on video in Pattaya throwing stones at police during black Songkran 2009

that's a lot more than making outrageous statements, that's actually breaking the law

assault on a policemen is a serious charge anywhere in the world

regardless of what he did and said in Bangkok 2010, he should do some time for Songkran 2009

Yes, total idiots and they should both get fairly severe treatment...

AFTER the murderers of Leo Del Pinto and... oh God... too many to mention! are brought to justice...

Why is it that saying the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time is a worse offence than killing someone in cold blood?

Amazing Thailand!

At least there is one person who's brain has not been fried.

Those are the clothes they were wearing when arrested most likely. You get your street clothes that you had on you for court appearances.

Too right, they should be banged up, but how about also making sure the real trouble-makers get sent down; namely those locals who have been murdering, burning, looting and whatnot? I hear one of the ring-leaders is already out on bail... tut tut. Banana republic.

Prosecutors indict two foreigners for roles in recent riot

BANGKOK (TNA, Agencies) -- Prosecutors on Thursday indicted a Briton and an Australian for breaching Thailand's state of emergency by instigating chaos in relation to the Red Shirt protests, while the two men denied the charges.

Briton Jeff Savage, 48, and Australian Conor Purcell, 30, were earlier arrested for a gathering of more than five people with the Red Shirt protesters of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) and involving with unrest which occurred last month after the movement ended their month-long protest at Bangkok’s Ratchaprasong intersection.

The two have been also accused of obstructing traffic and public daily life as well as breaching the security order.

The prosecutors at Bangkok's Pathumwan District Court indicted the two accused separately. Both men pleaded not guilty.

As no bail was requested for the two detainees, they were later sent for detention at Bangkok Remand Prison.

The court's next hearing is set to begin in August.

French news agency Agence France- Presse (AFP) reported that Mr Savage asked the court to deport him rather than proceed with legal procedures in Thailand. He said his case was political rather than criminal.

Thai police arrested Mr Savage after a video clip on the internet featured him saying he will set ablaze Thailand's biggest shopping mall, CentralWorld.

The Briton conceded he was at TV3 broadcasting station on May 19 when the Red Shirt protesters set the station afire, but denied his involvement in the incident.

Purcell was found to have delivered speeches on the Red Shirt rally stage which allegedly incited violence. The Associated Press quoted the Australian as telling the Thai court that he objected to staying in a jail cell like a criminal with rapists and murderers when he has not been accused of anything.

At least 89 people were killed and nearly 1,900 were wounded during clashes between soldiers and Reds s Shirt protesters during the group's ten-week demonstration demanding that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva dissolve the House.

The anti-government protests turned violent and finally ended on May 19 when the protest leaders surrendered to police and the disgruntled protesters set afire nearly 40 buildings in the capital, including CentralWorld, banks and the Stock Exchange of Thailand. (TNA, Agencies)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-06-17