Stiff Honda Wave Gearbox

Hi All

Bought a 3 year old Honda Wave 100. Really clean parts and sweet motor. The one nitpick is that shifting gears is a bit stiff. Not terrible but have to think about it more than I would like. I have ridden other Waves and this one requires more to shift. This one has 18K on the clock so I imagine its not a break in issue.

Any tips? I haven't changed fluids yet so that might make a difference. Does a certain trans fluid help? Or additives? Are there any possible adjustments?

Thanks for any help.

You might try a lighter oil, maybe 10w 30. Who knows what's in there. I switched o 20W 50 in my wave because it's so hot and it seems the gears tightened up a bit. Mine's the semi automatic.

When you put pressure on the lever the shaft travels to the other side of the motor and has to disengage the secondary clutch before changing the gear. There is an adjustment on the right hand side. A nut with a screw like device in the centre. cf27.gif

What is happening is it is out of adjustment and you are having to depress the clutch too much which causes resistance. Take it to any decent Honda maintenance shop and they will adjust it for you, it takes seconds. I visited the Honda dealer so often during my project, probably twice a week, I just had them check it one Saturday.

If you are feeling brave and have the correct tools you can do it yourself. This is a handy site now you have the bike. It is where the picture came from.

Edited by VocalNeal

VocalNeal great post and reference link. Thanks for that!!

as a followup question.

For a used Honda Wave 100 approaching 20K and probably not aggressively maintained.

Other than fluids any service procedures I should consider at this point?

Are you going to do this yourself or just need to know what to ask for or expect? It a bit of a $64 dollar question not knowing the condition of the bike.

Would take it in for service.

it's in great shape but want to take care of it.

Aside from the obvious things like worn out brakes, tires etc.

Was looking for under looked problems areas like a timing chain is on a car. I didn't get a manual with service interval recommendations.

Thanks again

At 20,000 you may wish to consider cleaning the internal oil screen but that oil only goes to the cam/valves. The rest is splash lubricated.Air filter if it hasn't been looked at. Install an in line fuel filter if you use local village gas stations.New spark plug if that hasn't been changed. At 3 years if you are feeling flush a new battery wouldn't hurt.

The cam chain is self tensioning. I have no experience of longevity. If it is noisy just point to it and ask to have it "reset" There is a picture in the link I sent. Same goes for the valves if they are noisy you could have them readjusted.

The problem will be depending on the dealer you go to is that most local mechanics/dealerships have been conditioned over many years to do the minimum necessary not the optimum.

VocalNeal great post and reference link. Thanks for that!!

as a followup question.

For a used Honda Wave 100 approaching 20K and probably not aggressively maintained.

Other than fluids any service procedures I should consider at this point?

Hope you are giving it clean airfilter.

Its also probably long overdue to have the carby cleaned, requires pulling it out, stripping it down & blowing it out with compressed air. Probably hasnt been done yet & every time I do mine I notice it running better. 30 mins max to do the entire job & retune the carb at the end. Sometime people don't notice the bike isnt running 100% because it just gradually gets worse & probably wont cough and splutter until its absolutely FILTHY!

Also another thing that is normally ignored here is the valve adjustment. I'm not familiar with the wave 100, never having owned one personally, so I don't know if its a dog of a job or how long it would take etc. Some of the smaller bikes actually mention Valve clearance in their service manuals (around 20k) to check. Depends how fussy you want to be.