I'M An American Getting Social Security And Living In Chiang Mai

westbounder

Hi,

After spending the past 2 years in Chiang Mai, I have decided to make it my home now.

I am getting Social Security dissability now and my U.S. home address is listed with the Soc.Sec. office in the States.

I was told by a man at my local Soc. Security office in the States that when I move to Chiang Mai, I musty report to the U.S. Consulate immediately and give them my new address in Thailand (since I will now be living there). From that point on, any information from S.S. will be mailed to me at my new Thailand address.

Getting re-evaulated every so many years by Soc. Sec. while on Dissability is a standard thing for all while living in the States.

I was also told by the same man at my local Soc. Sec. office that my chances of getting re-evaluated again would be highly unlikely with a Thailand address.

Can any Americans living in Thailand verify any of this for me and it is it easy to give Social Security my new address through the US Consulate in Chiang Mai?

Thank you kindly

As you are here in Thailand, you should contact the Social Security office in Manila. It is the office that has the Pacific region for service.

Address is as follows:

Social Security Division

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Regional Office

American Embassy

1131 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita 0930 Manila

Philippines

Email address for your rep there depends on your last name or you can send an email to [email protected] . I have the list of individual reps if you will send a PM to me.

It should be noted that the office in Manila is very good with fast and efficient service. They have even been known to call back to home phones in Thailand as well as countries like China. When I applied for my benefits, it was done very quickly and efficiently.

As you are here in Thailand, you should contact the Social Security office in Manila. It is the office that has the Pacific region for service.

Address is as follows:

Social Security Division

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Regional Office

American Embassy

1131 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita 0930 Manila

Philippines

Email address for your rep there depends on your last name or you can send an email to [email protected] . I have the list of individual reps if you will send a PM to me.

It should be noted that the office in Manila is very good with fast and efficient service. They have even been known to call back to home phones in Thailand as well as countries like China. When I applied for my benefits, it was done very quickly and efficiently.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this statement..... they have shown excellent and speedy service to me always...... so much so that you wonder if they are really part of the government..... doesn't seem possible

I've just recently changed my address with them too.

The US Consulate gave me their address and told me it has to be done through the mail.

I explained my situation, provided both my old and new mailing address, and of course my SSAN.

It took about six weeks to hear from them and was informed that my payment date was also changed because of being an overseas address. Instead of the third Wednesday, my check now is deposited on the third day of each month.